Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
textured Rust-oleum: the Tank! (Read 994 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: repainting with textured Rust-oleum
Reply #15 - 01/12/10 at 12:58:12

vive le resistance!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/13/10 at 07:44:26

MMRanch wrote on 01/10/10 at 15:01:51:

Does it work on gas tanks ,  without looking bad after a few fuel station clean-ups.?

I have my bike painted the exact same way and I've spilled some gas before with no adverse effects. Well except for smelling like gasoline when I got home, but I like that smell. Grin

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/13/10 at 11:07:04

Phelonius wrote on 01/11/10 at 09:41:59:
These bike are slow enough without more wind resistance.

Phelonius

aren't somethings faster with a bit of texture, like golf balls??  the turbulence over the roughness causes a windbreak allowing them to go faster or something, <--- just made that whole thing up!!!  but I did hear something about pitted golf balls going faster than smooth ones. and it's not like we're working on breaking land speed records or anything.  

so far I like it!  can't wait to see it all done

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 01/13/10 at 14:07:21

LostArtist wrote on 01/13/10 at 11:07:04:
aren't somethings faster with a bit of texture, like golf balls??  the turbulence over the roughness causes a windbreak allowing them to go faster or something, <--- just made that whole thing up!!!  but I did hear something about pitted golf balls going faster than smooth ones.

True, pitted balls go further.  Due to the pits tripping the air flow from laminar to turbulent and reducing the drag upon the ball.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 01/13/10 at 15:55:05

So when a S40 gets pitted from rust it should be faster right.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #20 - 01/14/10 at 05:03:37

Not necessarily faster, it just goes farther!   Grin

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/14/10 at 13:49:00

lighter too, all natural bobbing

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: repainting with textured Rust-oleum: The Tank!
Reply #22 - 01/23/10 at 11:25:07

Yes Virginia, custom paint can be achieved with a spray can.

The first step is to sand and clean. This is the most important step in the whole project so don’t cheat yourself here. Use latex gloves and plenty of acetone or lacquer thinner.  “ANY” oil or grease including fingerprints will ruin your work. A good hint here is canned carburetor cleaner to chase grease and loose dirt out of any cracks and welds. I used 320 grit sandpaper, which will give plenty of bite for the primer.

Two coats of white Rustoleum 7980830 - White Primer was laid down according to instructions. After 24 hours the primer was sanded with 600 grit wet and dry and clean water.

The first color laid down was Rustoleum 7210830 – Gold. This hammered finish gives a look of gold leaf. I masked the area allowing gold only where the lettering would appear. After the gold cured I sanded “lightly” with 600 grit and water.

The next color was the black, Rustoleum 248643 - Gloss Black. I masked the tank sides leaving the flowers and the lettering covered and then painted the black badges. I used two coats of black and finished with 600 grit and water. Once the remaining frisket was removed, I had white flowers and gold lettering against a black field. More frisket covered the badges leaving only the white tank.

The next color was Rustoleum gloss red 248642, two coats, “Heavy” sanding with water, and two more coats. All frisket was removed and a light sanding with 600 grit and water. This blended all the rough edges of the different colors. Next came the gold pen stripe tape. (again, no fingerprints!). The green and yellow color (Testors model enamel) and the flower detail (3B Drawing pencil) were added.

Next came the clear. I used Rustoleum crystal clear 7701. I shot two coats and sanded with #0000 steel wool.  This fills flaws, locks the pen stripping, and builds gloss on the side panels. A combination of clear coats and rubbing compound yield an acceptable gloss.

I mask the side panels and painted the remainder of the tank with Rustoleum high heat 246875. This was done to provide a transition zone from the gloss red to the texture finish. On my test piece the solvent in the texture paint softened the clear coats when it wicked back under the frisket. If you choose to use the Rustoleum multi color paint use very light coats and build them up only after the previous coat has flashed.

An airbrush yields a much better result and allows greater flexibility, but as you can see rattle can will give an acceptable result if you do the needed prep work and follow the instructions on the can.

So,...What do you think?

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #23 - 01/23/10 at 11:50:25

Absolutly awesome!!  Smiley Smiley I am so jealous of your talent and patience.  Shocked  Shocked

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: textured Rust-oleum: the Tank!
Reply #24 - 01/23/10 at 12:23:21

Do you plan to do other's tanks? Your tank is absolutely fabulous. You definetly have talent and patience. Great job.. Smiley

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #25 - 01/23/10 at 12:29:46

Looks great!

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #26 - 01/23/10 at 16:23:34

Looks very nice, can't wait to see it all put back together.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #27 - 01/23/10 at 20:28:25

That looks fantastic!

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #28 - 01/23/10 at 20:40:14

That is a GREAT idea.  I love that silver dollar.  Very tasteful and artful.  I just might give my 1996 Jetta this treatment.  I was considering flat black, but this is better.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #29 - 01/23/10 at 21:12:24

Looks great, especially from spray cans!  Just amazing.  I agree with Oldnewguy - you have some real talent and patience!  Looks nice and glossy.  I assume you did both sides of the tank identical?  Can't wait to see the entire bike!

If I may ask, why the flower?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › textured Rust-oleum: the Tank!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.