Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I Almost Met My Maker Today! (Read 408 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: I Almost Met My Maker Today!
Reply #15 - 01/06/10 at 07:11:03

Good work Digger, even though the lovely state of Colorado passed the 'No Texting" law it doesn't appear to do much to deter folks from yakkin' on their phones. One of the main arguments I made to myself when I recently got back to riding (after 30 some years!) was that there weren't any cell phones when I used to ride...now, everytime I go out I scan, scan, scan for trouble...which is everywhere.
BTW, good job keeping your cool. Maybe if we all strapped shotguns to the side of our bikes it would make a difference...but probably not...we're invisible anyway.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/06/10 at 09:21:56

I have heard of a device you can buy that kills a cell phone call if activated within its usable range.  I would say get one of these and follow the idiot occasionally pushing the kill button and stopping his calls until he is so distracted he runs off the road and is no longer a hazard.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #17 - 01/06/10 at 14:05:15

Some states in this area are wanting the cell phone companies to add a motion sensor to the phone so it will not work while you are traveling, of course you can't walk around too much either.

Glad you're OK Digger.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 01/06/10 at 19:47:37

Digger,
Glad you're ok.  Now go borrow a T-38 and buzz the guy.... that will get his attention     Grin

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 01/06/10 at 20:05:47

wolfmrp wrote on 01/05/10 at 21:38:17:
I am glad you are ok Digger.

A new law just went into effect (here in Oregon) that makes it illegal to talk or text while driving.  Unfortunately, if you are over 18 you can use a hands free device.  I am not sure how much of a difference that really makes. Undecided  I am picturing some boso trying to plug it in while doing 70.

Yep, however, I actually think the mental distraction of using a cell phone while driving outweighs the physical distraction.  Hands free devices do not lessen the mental distraction a whit!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 01/06/10 at 20:08:12

Stones wrote on 01/05/10 at 23:52:02:
Quote:
As is my habit (even in seemingly innocuous situations like this), I check my mirror and then do a “head check” as I prepare to enter the right turn lane.

Head check -  that is the life saver i cant remember how many times its saved me over the years. I even do it in the car its a habit  Lips Sealed

Glad yer okay buddy theres some assoles out there.

I first learned of "the life saver" years ago while reading about how y'all teach motorcycle riding in the UK.   Smiley

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 01/06/10 at 20:14:50

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/06/10 at 19:47:37:
Digger,
Glad you're ok.  Now go borrow a T-38 and buzz the guy.... that will get his attention     Grin

T-38, hell!

I'd use an A-10 for the grisly deed!    Smiley

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 01/06/10 at 20:16:32

After hearing much wisdom and advice (thanks, y'all), I have decided to put the local Police Station number into my cell-phone (which is always on me when I'm riding).

Whenever something like this occurs (about once every five years or so for me, it seems), I'll stop and report it to the cops.

Like Claire Chennault used to say, "Run away, live to fight another day."

BTW, any advice on the best protocol to follow if making such a phone call?

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 01/06/10 at 21:13:33

I'd use an A-10 for the grisly deed

Ohhh yeahh, a Warthog will do the J  O  B  !

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/06/10 at 21:19:05

Phelonius wrote on 01/06/10 at 09:21:56:
I have heard of a device you can buy that kills a cell phone call if activated within its usable range.  I would say get one of these and follow the idiot occasionally pushing the kill button and stopping his calls until he is so distracted he runs off the road and is no longer a hazard.

Phelonius

Its illegal in the US to block or distort wireless phone transmission electronically because it doesnt distinguish between a friendly chat and an emergency call.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 01/06/10 at 21:56:20

BurnPgh wrote on 01/06/10 at 21:19:05:
Its illegal in the US to block or distort wireless phone transmission electronically because it doesnt distinguish between a friendly chat and an emergency call.

What are the odds?...  gimme' the button... Angry

PS... A-10's are the rock'n'rollin'est planes!...  
Lot's of 'em here in Tucson... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #26 - 01/07/10 at 02:15:07

wolfmrp wrote on 01/05/10 at 21:38:17:
I am glad you are ok Digger.

A new law just went into effect (here in Oregon) that makes it illegal to talk or text while driving.  Unfortunately, if you are over 18 you can use a hands free device.  I am not sure how much of a difference that really makes. Undecided  I am picturing some boso trying to plug it in while doing 70.

I too am glad you're ok Digger.
Wolf, I was glad to see that law go into effect too; apparently we've had one in WA for a while now, not that it seems to do any good. Tongue  I'm thinking that as much as OR always seems to think they need more of our tax money, they may be pretty strict on it, for a while anyway, just to get the extra income from tickets! Grin
Personally, I've never paid much attention to celphone laws, since mine is never turned on when I'm driving, and most other times as well. Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #27 - 01/07/10 at 07:12:43

It's not that we don't have the law as we here in Wa State do. However like every other law it has to be enforced.

Not too long ago I was on my bike, stopped at a light. The first 5 cars that went thru the light had drivers all on cell phones. I sat there and shook my head. I was soo thankful I was not heading in their direction.

I feel we can never be too careful when on our bikes nor in our cages. Were just smaller targets on our bikes. So all be careful and expect the unexpected..

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 01/07/10 at 09:23:58

Serowbot wrote on 01/05/10 at 21:51:23:
Making it illegal ain't gonna' do it.... they need to make it impossible...
Make cell phones not work in moving vehicles...
What about passengers?.... Tuff nuts...

As I posted last month the technology exist to prevent a moving cell phone from texting of calling...it is just a political decision.

And as many of you stated, that infringes on your rights.
I lost count of the close calls caused by people on cell phones.
I hope that this time next year we are still here having this discussion.

Digger I am glad you made it!

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #29 - 01/07/10 at 10:08:27

Glad you're OK Digger, and yeah, the head turn for confirmation of not all clear probably saved you.

I noticed a new trend in these parts last summer. It's not only drivers using cell phones, against the law I might add, but people on bicycles have taken up the practice. Myself, I don't answer or make calls on my cell while driving. They can wait. Texting is a waste of time to me, so I don't do it at all.

It's really a shame that the cell law is not enforced here. It should indeed be enforced, and the fines should be high with points added as well. All it takes is losing your concentration for a split second to kill someone, and these people are talking in their cars like they're at home with their feet up.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I Almost Met My Maker Today!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.