Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I Almost Met My Maker Today! (Read 408 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
I Almost Met My Maker Today!
01/05/10 at 19:22:31

Here is the setup:

Early afternoon, weather not a factor.

Am riding south on a small, 4-lane arterial with no divider.  The posted speed limit on this road is 35 mph.  The shoulder of the road has a bicycle lane, so it is fairly wide.  There is a right turn lane up ahead that I’m planning on using when I get closer to the intersection I want to turn right on.

I’m riding my Savage (see signature).  I’m in the right-hand lane.  As I near the intersection I want to turn right on (which has a traffic signal....it is currently red), I activate the right-turn signals, wait two seconds, then begin drifting right in my lane so that I can enter the right turn lane that is just now beginning.  As is my habit (even in seemingly innocuous situations like this), I check my mirror and then do a “head check” as I prepare to enter the right turn lane.

I’m startled by a whoosh of air and a red blur!  A driver in a red Toyota pickup truck with a topper, Colorado truck license plate number 531-BSM, has entered the shoulder before the right-turn lane began and is travelling at least 20 mph faster than I am.  The driver is crowding into the right-hand edge of my lane.  I instinctively swerve to the left to avoid the truck and then enter the right turn lane behind the truck.

I’m not really mad, but I’m frightened a bit by the event.  We bikers run into situations like this all of the time where we must utilize our advanced skills and judgment to keep buffoonish cagers from becoming murderers.

The truck driver then rolls the red light (I’m not surprised by this) and turns right.  I follow the truck to the next stop light (a long one) and pull up to the left of the truck, in the adjacent lane.  I want to get a good look at incompetence.  The driver is a 50-ish looking guy on a cell phone who is intent on avoiding my stare.  I’m still in a good mood (just happy to be alive, I guess), and yell (in an informative manner, not a mad manner – his window was up), “You just scared the hell out of me!”

Not getting any acknowledgement, I roll forward a bit so I am now looking at him over my right shoulder and am definitely in his field-of-view.  I wave a few times to get his attention.  He is doing everything he can not to look at me.

I’m not a big guy, and he doesn’t look small, so I’m certain he is not afraid of me.  I sort of think that, in his eyes, I was just one of those dumb bikers with a death wish who did not exist in the same state of humankind as he did.  I was a nothing to him, scooter trash.

I start to get a little mad.  Not much (that is stupid and dangerous on a bike), but a little.  I follow him for a few miles.  I note that, although he does not appear to be speeding, he is an unskillful driver.  He is making a lot of mistakes.....not signaling his lane changes, swerving in his lane, following too close to traffic ahead of him, and rolling stop signs.  If he is not unskilled, then he is certainly incapable of multi-tasking, as evidenced by the high error rates observed in his driving.  By observing his driving, I am thinking he is a bit task saturated.

He is a hazard.

I give it up after getting his license plate number....Colorado truck license plate 531-BSM.

So, if you are in the Colorado Springs area and see a red Toyota pickup truck with a topper and those plates, give this guy a wide berth.

If you’re on a bike, he’s bigger than you are and seems not to respect the fact that you are a fellow American.

Yep, I know I could have done better to avoid this incident and will endeavor to do so in the future.  Even though I check the mirrors a lot when I’m riding, I did not check them enough this time and allowed someone to come a bit too close to murdering me.

Y’all be careful out there!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: I Almost Met My Maker Today!
Reply #1 - 01/05/10 at 19:52:07

And that, folks, is how to rack up astronomical (no pun intended) mileage and be here to talk about it.  Cool heads prevail.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/05/10 at 21:11:36

cell phones!... I hate'em!.... Angry

I'm having hairy scary's about twice a week now,... and 90% of the time, there's a cell phone involved....
...not to mention I got t-boned and totaled last year... Huh

Good reminder Digger,.. glad you're o.k.... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/05/10 at 21:22:28

Them's some AAAA's you got there.   Smiley

I would've crapped my pants then smered it all over his windshield.

WWW   IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #4 - 01/05/10 at 21:38:17

I am glad you are ok Digger.

A new law just went into effect (here in Oregon) that makes it illegal to talk or text while driving.  Unfortunately, if you are over 18 you can use a hands free device.  I am not sure how much of a difference that really makes. Undecided  I am picturing some boso trying to plug it in while doing 70.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 01/05/10 at 21:51:23

Making it illegal ain't gonna' do it.... they need to make it impossible...
Make cell phones not work in moving vehicles...
What about passengers?.... Tuff nuts...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/05/10 at 22:18:30

Serowbot wrote on 01/05/10 at 21:51:23:
Making it illegal ain't gonna' do it.... they need to make it impossible...
Make cell phones not work in moving vehicles...
What about passengers?.... Tuff nuts...

Hey that'll work! at least untill they figure out they can stick their head thru the sunroof.   Shocked

moma, why all dem people sittin' on top of the their cars and drivin' with their feet?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/05/10 at 22:29:58

Yep, Digger, you did it right. Keep the cool head & stay alive. Better than being righteously Pisstawf & gettin yerself killed.
After an old man forced me to change lanes as he ran a stop sign & took my lane, while he was busy talking on the phone, I got ahead of him & , at the next light, I got off, walked back & got him to roll the window down enough so I could holler from a distance to
"Put that GD cell phone down before you kill someone".

Who here believes that changed his behavior one iota?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/05/10 at 23:01:20

Excuse me sir?  I need to borrow your cell phone... I need to report a man driving recklessly while on his cell phone.

WWW   IP Logged
Stones

Married to a Texan

United Kingdom
Reply #9 - 01/05/10 at 23:52:02

Quote:
As is my habit (even in seemingly innocuous situations like this), I check my mirror and then do a “head check” as I prepare to enter the right turn lane.

Head check -  that is the life saver i cant remember how many times its saved me over the years. I even do it in the car its a habit  Lips Sealed

Glad yer okay buddy theres some assoles out there.

ALLIANCE MEMBER
  IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #10 - 01/06/10 at 00:31:11

Way to go Digger, i'm glad you're ok.  I've gotten so pi$$ed off a couple of times I've thought about following a would be bike assassin.  It's easy to talk about taking the high road and ignoring some of the idiots that drive cars, but it's much harder to do.  It seems like every day there are more and more people on the road that are ready to explode, just looking for a reason.  The best we can do is identify them and stay clear of them.   Heads up ridin'   - stratman

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #11 - 01/06/10 at 02:44:29

that guys an ignorant d!ck.  glad you are ok!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 01/06/10 at 03:23:15

Good job Digger ... you sir are a pro ... glad you're OK! Cool

Here on "The Rock" yakking/texting on a cell phone is a ticketable and point accumulating offense, but I see idiots doing it every single day ... and I don't see the Fuzz doing too much about it either Angry

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #13 - 01/06/10 at 05:42:21

First of all Digger, nice to hear your ok. 2nd is great job for doing the head check. I don't change any lanes unless I do that head check. I have saved myself a few times by doing that too.

Could you call the DMV or police and give them the info and see if they can find him? At least they could possibly give  him a warning.

Again great job on being aware of your surroundings and keep those head checks going..  Smiley

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 01/06/10 at 06:07:08

Digger, looks like your head check might have saved your bacon. Good work. I picked up the habit while driving heavy vehicles of always checking the mirror on the side to which I intend to move before making the move. I do that as the final step before starting the move, even on roads where it isn't supposed to be possible for anyone to be there.

I sometimes listen to police scanner traffic, and every so often you will hear one of them asking another, or the dispatcher, to call them on the land-line (meaning their cell). Believe me, police use the cell phone while they are driving, too. Along with their other radios and often a laptop. Most of the proposed legislation I have seen exempts police from cell phone prohibition while driving. Ever notice police traffic refers to people as "subjects" instead of people? If asked, they will tell you "subject" is the proper English method of referring to the "subject" of the conversation. I think they really believe everyone else is "subject" to them.

Technically, the easiest way to keep cell phones from being used on the move would be to make it impossible to switch cells during a call. It wouldn't stop call initiation, but it would drop calls pretty shortly. Now, with new cell phones required to have GPS location in them so they can report your location to the 911 call center, it would be easier to program them so they wouldn't work on the move. Just imagine the joy of a bus load of passengers who couldn't tell their friends where they were. Probably more to the point, imagine the loss of revenue to the cell phone providers.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:20:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I Almost Met My Maker Today!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.