Send Topic Print
Waterproofing Leather (Read 471 times)
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Re: Waterproofing Leather
Reply #30 - 01/09/10 at 17:35:49

I just applied a bees wax bases product called "sno-seal"  You use a hair dryer and melt the paste into the leather.  I did a test and the result were promising.  I made a small bowl shape with the test piece and let water sit in it over night. There where no drips after 12 hours of holding water, but  the fibers did seem a bit damp after the test.  I will report back after the next big rain.  

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 01/10/10 at 20:38:28

Sno Seal is the best stuff I've found to treat my boots with.

I've never been able to COMPLETELY waterproof leather, but Sno Seal comes closer than anything I've ever used.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #32 - 01/11/10 at 04:20:21

I just had a thought! Instead of sealing the seat how about wearing plastic pants.  Grin Also there are some other possibilities that I will let other members come up with.  Cheesy

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #33 - 01/12/10 at 13:38:10

Leather is porous and must breathe - that's one of its advantages - so nothing should completely seal and waterproof it.  Brooks Leathers in England make a fancy conditioner called Proofide for their iconic leather bicycle seats that will offer shower resistance.  For really wet days they offer a plastic slip-over cover, so that should tell you something.  Google "brooks + proofide" to learn more.  Kinda expensive stuff though.

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #34 - 01/13/10 at 21:02:31

After using the "sno-seal" and the first big rain the water was still beading up on the seat.  After the second big rain the waterproofing was effectively gone.  Sad I think the sno-seal does a good job for some items(boots), but I am beginning to think that I was just not meant to have a leather seat.  (At least not while living in Portland)  I just got some nice looking vinyl and will be redoing the seat again this weekend.  I may take this opportunity to shape the foam a bit or even inlay some memory foam were my tailbone hits.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #35 - 01/14/10 at 05:05:40

wolfmrp wrote on 01/13/10 at 21:02:31:
After using the "sno-seal" and the first big rain the water was still beading up on the seat.  After the second big rain the waterproofing was effectively gone.  Sad I think the sno-seal does a good job for some items(boots), but I am beginning to think that I was just not meant to have a leather seat.  (At least not while living in Portland)  I just got some nice looking vinyl and will be redoing the seat again this weekend.  I may take this opportunity to shape the foam a bit or even inlay some memory foam were my tailbone hits.

Wolf, sorry to hear of your problems.  I've complained about my seat from day-1 and hope I have it worked out now, but haven't been able to ride lately so I haven't been able to try it out.
But... I realize it might be too late for this tidbit, if you are gonna work on your seat this weekend, but I ordered a piece of Saddlemen "raw gel" and inserted in my original seat.  Its another option, unless you already have the memory foam.  The gel is really dense and helps reduce vibration and softens bumps greatly.  I love it, so I thought I'd mention it to you.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Waterproofing Leather

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.