Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheap saddlebags (Read 195 times)
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheap saddlebags
12/31/09 at 19:05:21

For awhile I've been looking for cheap saddlebags. I looked all over and man-made material ones were 60-70 and leather 120 or more. All too much for me. I think I am really working on a rat bike- old and worn with money just spent for regular maintenance + some rust and dings.
I found some cheapo saddle bags- $15.10 for leather + 9.00 shipping. I couldn't buy the leather and make them myself for that. They are called  "roughout saddlebags" Google them. I got them from horselovers.com. They are made for horses but fit over my back seat of my '87 LS650 nicely. I'll cut out 4 inches of leather where it goes over, punch some holes and use a leather shoelace (or rivets) to reconnect them the two pieces.
Of course these saddlebags look like crap, but they are functional!
-not for the folks who like to refinish their bikes!    

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Cheap saddlebags
Reply #1 - 01/04/10 at 04:50:58

Thenks TCReeley, I checked out their website and emailed for a catalogue, but the email was rejected on the grounds "recipient unknown".

Did they fold up and shut down ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 01/04/10 at 10:35:39

i'm all for useful and ugly then pretty and impractical lol

i put an ammo box on the side of mine, cost 7 bucks @ the gun show  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/04/10 at 15:39:51

I went the same route with cheap rough saddlebags.
Looked like crap but did the job for a while, they were actually2 ply, a very rough thin black outside layer over a thicker brown layer.
They actuyally worked quite well till the stiching came apart (after I snagged em on my truck bumper).

Tractor supply store had some nice nylon saddlebags for about $30 or so. not bad if one is near you, might be a good excuse for a ride anyway.

IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/04/10 at 17:14:51

Mpescatori:    Here is the link where I bought them. I never saw a catalog- just ordered online.

http://www.horseloverz.com/c-Western-Tack-Saddle-Bags-185.html

Goodluck.

TC

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 01/05/10 at 00:24:11

A H A  !!!

It wasn't "horseloverS.com" but "horseloverZ.com".

I't like when you type "NASA.com" instead of NASA.GOV...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 01/05/10 at 05:41:52

Rocco wrote on 01/04/10 at 10:35:39:
i'm all for useful and ugly then pretty and impractical lol

i put an ammo box on the side of mine, cost 7 bucks @ the gun show  Grin

Rocco meaning to ask you about this - Of course I think its a great idea, cos we do it in India and its the official "luggage" option offered by dealers, anyway, why did you opt to do 30 caliber instead of 50 ... cos I can find 50 easy ... 30 is hard to find atleast locally (of course I dont go to gun shows) ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 01/06/10 at 09:36:11

good question!!

i was going to get the .50 cal, but they are HUGE! and originally i wanted to do one on each side, but didn't want to look like a mini roadking. my friend who has a chopper rat advised me to only put one box on so i wouldn't be considered a "bagger".

to be honest i just wanted something to throw a hat into, when i go to work i ziplock my motorcycle cover bag to the pass seat and fold my shirt up nice instead of stuffing it into the box.

i think the .50's would stick out to far for my girl when she rides, maybe not but i like the way the .30 turned out!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #8 - 01/06/10 at 13:57:29

Darn, I got a set coming from eBay (pretty good deal if you are patient)  but these look much nicer for the same price.

I guess that is why they are called saddle bags even on our Iron Horses.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cheap saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.