Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ACTING WIERD WHEN I SHIFT FROM 4TH TO 5TH (Read 327 times)
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ACTING WIERD WHEN I SHIFT FROM 4TH TO 5TH
12/28/09 at 07:24:36

TODAY I WAS RIDINGHOMEAND WHEN IPUTMY BIKE INTO 5TH GEAR AFTER THE CLUTCH WAS DISENGAGED I GAVE IT GAS AND IT ACTED LIKE IT WAS IN NEUTRAL THEN I HEARD A KNOCK AND IT WENT INTO GEAR, AFTER THAT IT DIDN'T DOIT AGAIN, DOES THAT MEAN MY TRANSMISSION IS GOING OUT???? OR IS IT MY CLUTCH

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Re: ACTING WIERD WHEN I SHIFT FROM 4TH TO 5TH
Reply #1 - 12/28/09 at 08:00:15

You probably did not have it all the way in gear. I have experienced that mysely. If it does it regularly, I would suspect transmission shifter problems. You must shift positively to get proper shifting.

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/28/09 at 08:00:39

Calm down, no need to shout.

There's a false neutral between 4th and 5th that occassionaly can be found.

When you shift, don't jab at it.  Apply pressure to the shifter in the direction you want to go, clutch it and it'll pop right in.

between 4th and 5th, you don't even need to clutch it, a quick flip of the throttle back to idle and immediately back on it will shift it sweet.

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 12/28/09 at 08:24:11

ahahaaa i have done this on i-95 in work traffic, where my main concern was not being run over by expeditions lol

i heard it high rev, looked @ the tank expecting to see neutral and i tried it again and it was fine.

i think it's a built it "are u paying attention" you know, like the white bumps on the side of the road =]

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #4 - 12/28/09 at 08:37:14

We did this problem in a thread a while back. 4th to 5th is "quirky" at best. On my '96 I get a double "in" most of the time. You just need to keep the pressure on till you feel it go all the way in.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/28/09 at 08:42:12

right on i'll be a little more cautious when shifting, it kinda sucked cuz it did happen in traffic i-10 west in north san antonio. oh and my bad my keyboard is actin up sorry for the caps its hard to switch it. welll thanx 4 the advise, oh and i don't know if anyone remembers how my bike was dying out of the blue a few months ago but finally figured it out had a hole on the diaphragm in the petcockso she's back in tip top shape Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #6 - 12/28/09 at 09:13:11

It does suck and it's embarassing. Glad you got the beast running!

« Last Edit: 12/29/09 at 10:25:36 by Oldnewguy »  

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 12/28/09 at 10:02:02

texsam wrote on 12/28/09 at 08:42:12:
finally figured it out had a hole on the diaphragm in the petcockso she's back in tip top shape Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Suzuki should be shot for ever making that peacock... What a P.O.S.!....
Engineered to prevent a one in a thousand minor mishap, and guaranteeing an eventual major malfunction...
Stupid,.. stupid, stupid...

I feel better now... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/28/09 at 10:41:39

The shifting fork that slides a dog along a spline to engage either one cluster or another, rides in a slot which is moved from one position to another by the action of the shift lever pulling a lobe onto the next detent.
If the lobe is not pushed or pulled all the way into the next detent, it can momentarily ride on top of it with the sliding dog in between gear selections.  Then with a tiny bit of vibration it will decide to slip down the lobe and engage the dogs on a gear cluster with a clunk.  It may slide and engage the next gear , or it may fall back to engage the gear you were trying to leave, also with a clunk. Unless your throttle is wide open, there is usually no damage except to your peace of mind.
Clear?

Phelonius Wink

Phelonius
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #9 - 12/28/09 at 10:59:54

ekkk i was worrying about that aswell    mind is at rest now

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 12/29/09 at 06:15:53

Yep,
I just hold upward pressure till the clutch is engaged, and it never misses.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/29/09 at 08:27:49

verslagen1 wrote on 12/28/09 at 08:00:39:
Calm down, no need to shout.

There's a false neutral between 4th and 5th that occassionaly can be found.

When you shift, don't jab at it.  Apply pressure to the shifter in the direction you want to go, clutch it and it'll pop right in.

between 4th and 5th, you don't even need to clutch it, a quick flip of the throttle back to idle and immediately back on it will shift it sweet.

Once in 2nd, shifting up & down between 2nd & 3rd, 4th & 5th w/o the clutch is so, so easy. Just coordinate throttle & ankle, no clutch to pull, no clutch cable wear, no clutch disk wear. Ive had some "shift failure" events, with & w/o the clutch, but fewer w/o.
Quite disconcerting to get a false neutral that becomes a gear after throttle applied. But, as noted, unless youre at Wide Open, not gonna tear stuff up, just lurch it around & get embarrassed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 12/29/09 at 09:27:45

I have never shifted without the clutch.  I'm a-skeeered to.  Doesn't "seem" like it would be good for the bike.  

Tell me more...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 12/29/09 at 09:40:23

I upshift 3 to 4, and 4 to 5 without clutch a lot...  I use the clutch for downs...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 12/29/09 at 09:46:04

I'm guessing between 3 and 4 is bad?  (2-3 and 4-5 ok?) What's the difference?  Or am I reading wrong....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ACTING WIERD WHEN I SHIFT FROM 4TH TO 5TH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.