Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ACTING WIERD WHEN I SHIFT FROM 4TH TO 5TH (Read 327 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: ACTING WIERD WHEN I SHIFT FROM 4TH TO 5TH
Reply #15 - 12/29/09 at 10:06:17

The higher the gear,.. the easier to shift without a clutch.... Wink

Try 4 to 5 first,... easy as pie, smooth as butter...
Now,.. I'm hungry.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/29/09 at 10:41:57

babyhog wrote on 12/29/09 at 09:27:45:
I have never shifted without the clutch.  I'm a-skeeered to.  Doesn't "seem" like it would be good for the bike.  

Tell me more...

Ive shifted standards w/o the clutch for decades. Learning gave me the opportunity to make a few sounds with a tranny they werent really meant to make, but I never saw any negative results. Them gears in there is Hard Stuff. Lots of racket can be made w/o making a mark. On a vehicle w/ a neutral between gears, its easier to learn, since the shifter can be held in neutral while the gas is used to synchronize the engine RPM to the driveline in the gear you want it in. You know the engine is running at lower rpm at 30 MPH in 4th than in 3rd, so, to get it into 4th, from 3rd w/o lurching it, the throttle has to close some. Also, if there is a load on the transmission, either from slowing or accelerating, the shifter wont easily move the tranny internals, so, throttle must be operated in a manner to unload the tranny & shift. You can try to downshift(d/shift) by putting light pressure on the shifter & closing the throttle quickly. Itll fall right in. Try 5th to 4th at 40 ish MPH. That will raise the RPM as soon as you do it, but since the RPM difference between 4th & 5th are minimal, it wont lurch or slide the rear tire. Strange as it seems, these d/shifts work even as the gas is being shut off, I  also give it a slight Goose just as soon as the shifter drops, to kill the lurch.But, while you work to learn, Id suggest staying with 4th & 5th for practice, because as the Rowboat says, the higher gears are easier to work with. I dont do 1st to 2nd, up or down, anymore. Ive done it & I can do it, its just too hard to do right & when its not right, its hard on the equipment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 12/29/09 at 11:26:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/29/09 at 10:41:57:
I have never shifted without the clutch.  I'm a-skeeered to.  Doesn't "seem" like it would be good for the bike.  
Tell me more...

But, while you work to learn, Id suggest staying with 4th & 5th for practice, because as the Rowboat says, the higher gears are easier to work with.  

Nice to know, me and the Rustin ol'guy agree... Grin

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 12/29/09 at 13:24:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/29/09 at 10:41:57:

Tell me more...

Ive shifted standards w/o the clutch for decades. Learning gave me the opportunity to make a few sounds with a tranny they werent really meant to make, but I never saw any negative results. Them gears in there is Hard Stuff. Lots of racket can be made w/o making a mark. On a vehicle w/ a neutral between gears, its easier to learn, since the shifter can be held in neutral while the gas is used to synchronize the engine RPM to the driveline in the gear you want it in. You know the engine is running at lower rpm at 30 MPH in 4th than in 3rd, so, to get it into 4th, from 3rd w/o lurching it, the throttle has to close some. Also, if there is a load on the transmission, either from slowing or accelerating, the shifter wont easily move the tranny internals, so, throttle must be operated in a manner to unload the tranny & shift. You can try to downshift(d/shift) by putting light pressure on the shifter & closing the throttle quickly. Itll fall right in. Try 5th to 4th at 40 ish MPH. That will raise the RPM as soon as you do it, but since the RPM difference between 4th & 5th are minimal, it wont lurch or slide the rear tire. Strange as it seems, these d/shifts work even as the gas is being shut off, I  also give it a slight Goose just as soon as the shifter drops, to kill the lurch.But, while you work to learn, Id suggest staying with 4th & 5th for practice, because as the Rowboat says, the higher gears are easier to work with. I dont do 1st to 2nd, up or down, anymore. Ive done it & I can do it, its just too hard to do right & when its not right, its hard on the equipment.

Hmmm.  Thanks a bunch... but you just had to throw in that last "when its not right" part, didn't you...  But maybe if I ever get to ride again (darn cold weather) I will try it.  4th to 5th sounds pretty simple.  I guess my hangup is why is it designed to use a clutch if you don't really have to use it?  But thank you for helping me understand.

I think back to learning to drive a car with a stick.  I hated it when I'd miss a gear!  "If ya can't find 'em, grind 'em"???  That always sounded so horrible, I just figured it had to be hurting something!  Maybe my husband can draw me a picture that would make it make sense....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 12/29/09 at 13:33:37

Babyhog there is no reason not to use the clutch,Once in a while I shift without it,And if I drag race I don't use it,But it is better for the bike to use the clutch.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Stones

Married to a Texan

United Kingdom
Reply #20 - 12/29/09 at 14:30:24

Sorry only got 4  Lips Sealed

ALLIANCE MEMBER
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 12/29/09 at 15:18:46

Stones wrote on 12/29/09 at 14:30:24:

maybe you're not pullin' up hard enough?.... Grin Grin Grin

or maybe the PO didn't clutch?.... Huh

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 12/29/09 at 15:45:23

Serowbot wrote on 12/29/09 at 15:18:46:
Stones wrote on 12/29/09 at 14:30:24:

maybe you're not pullin' up hard enough?.... Grin Grin Grin

Sounds goofy but Ineclipse's savage was sold to him as a '95 four speed. Turns out the PO of 3 years didnt ever shift to 5th hard enough or didnt bother trying. Which means the guy before him probably told him it was a 4 speed and didnt shift to 5th either.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 12/29/09 at 17:05:30

I dont do 1st to 2nd, up or down, anymore. Ive done it & I can do it, its just too hard to do right & when its not right, its hard on the equipment.

1st to 2nd & 2nd to 1st..hard to get right.

4th & up there, no sweat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #24 - 12/29/09 at 22:13:18

Wow,...thank god for this post. I was getting worried ! Shocked

bill67 wrote on 12/29/09 at 13:33:37:
Babyhog there is no reason not to use the clutch,Once in a while I shift without it,And if I drag race I don't use it,But it is better for the bike to use the clutch.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 12/30/09 at 03:57:16

Its better for the bike to use it? Not if its done right..if done right, theres no wear on the cable or clutch. Just clutch 1st to second & rip on down the road, no damage by not clutching, or, if there IS damage done by not clutching, Id be walking, cuz more often than not, I dont clutch.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #26 - 12/31/09 at 06:56:13

i had a friend when i was a teen, that had an rm 80 dirtbike. as long as i can remember that bike never had a clutch cable. he'd just stomp it into gear lol. probably owned it for 5+ years. i generally use mine, but have shifted without it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 01/01/10 at 09:03:08

babyhog wrote on 12/29/09 at 09:46:04:
I'm guessing between 3 and 4 is bad?  (2-3 and 4-5 ok?) What's the difference?  Or am I reading wrong....  

I think you're reading wrong, seek your inner Martian and it will be clear.

Up shifting w/o a clutch is easier as the gears get higher.
4 to 5 is a cinch.  start there and try the others later.
3 to 4 is ok, easiest when you go like you want to merge on the freeway.
2 to 3 same.
1 to 2 can be done, but best left to experts.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 01/01/10 at 10:12:18

rigidchop wrote on 12/31/09 at 06:56:13:
i had a friend when i was a teen, that had an rm 80 dirtbike. as long as i can remember that bike never had a clutch cable. he'd just stomp it into gear lol. probably owned it for 5+ years. i generally use mine, but have shifted without it.

I was driving an 18 wheeler & the clutch linkage broke. I sat & thot about it a while, then pulled the kill & when the engine started to die, I shoved the thing in 1st & firewalled the kill & nailed the gas pedal. Wasnt a smooth launch, but I got it to the shop w/o a tow truck

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #29 - 01/01/10 at 10:48:13

If you read your manual it tells you how to shift without using the clutch.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:15:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ACTING WIERD WHEN I SHIFT FROM 4TH TO 5TH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.