Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drag Bar to Buckhorn Bar??? (Read 131 times)
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Drag Bar to Buckhorn Bar???
12/21/09 at 18:50:29

I want to change my handle bar from the Drag bar to the older style Buchhorn bar. I already have a new OEM Buckhorn in my possesion. My bike is an '06 S40. I know I will need some short maybe OEM bar clamps. Will I be able to use the cables, wiring and brake hose that came on my '06 S40 if I reroute them? If I will need new parts, who sells them besides a dealer? I already did a search on handle bar, but did not find enough to satisfy my quest. Thanks for your help........Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Drag Bar to Buckhorn Bar???
Reply #1 - 12/21/09 at 20:07:24

Alot of folks have changed out the handlebars.  Try different searches, maybe.  Most common response is the cables are the biggest problem.  I also have an '06 and changed to buckhorn style.  I used the stock '06 holder thingys, but had to remove the tall riser section, and re-routed a cable or two.  Not bad.  Didn't have to buy anything new.  If I find some pics, I'll post them, if no one else does first...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #2 - 12/22/09 at 05:08:04

babyhog, how do you get the tall riser apart to just use the bar clamps? Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 12/22/09 at 06:22:17

I believe they just un-screwed.  Oh, I did have to get new bolts.  I think the original ones were too long (? memory is bad, sorry)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #4 - 12/22/09 at 08:31:14

WOW, you have a great looking Boulevard. Do you think the bars could be tilted back a little more to get the grips level when aimed straight ahead or a little tilted down and still allow use of the original cables etc? Thanks for the pictures, they are really helpful....Dan

What is the little object you have on the center of the bars?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 12/22/09 at 08:56:33

Thanks! I think I have since rolled the bars back a bit.  The cables were fine, once I took the risers out.  I did the bars before the windshield, and after I rode with the windshield some, I think I did pull the bars back a bit.  Its all a work in progress....  

The little thing on the bars is one of those bicycle speedometer/odometers.  It doesn't work right, but it has a thermometer and clock, so I left it on, as those functions work.  I could never get the magnet on the wheel and the sensor on the fork close enough to register correctly.  But I like knowing the temp.

I can't wait to post pics of my new seat, when the upholstery guy gets done with it!  Smiley 

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 12/22/09 at 09:08:39

I had some renthal bars on klx which were better than stock but my arms were still bent so I managed to find some risers (80mm) and got some 7/8" tube from a mate who builds chasis and fitted that, no wrist angle just straight bar. This did the job, the grips are now 6" further foreward and much more comfortable and nice and wide (34.5").
 The std. clutch cable fitted and the switch gear, but I have a one off  stainless braided brake line so dont know about that but if you need a new brake line a stainless one increases brake efficiency at the same time.
 Anyway here's a pic.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drag Bar to Buckhorn Bar???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.