Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Gauge, again and again and again (Read 250 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Gas Gauge, again and again and again
12/19/09 at 13:19:13

Well here's an idea for a gas gauge that came to me while contemplating my naval after a few beers. Why not just put a small hose Tee in the fuel line just downstream from the petcock and run a thin piece of clear tubing up the side of the gas tank. Plug the open end of the tubing with some cotton or a filter and there you go, a sight tube that will act as a gas gauge. Seems pretty simple and effective. Have a beer and think about it Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Re: Gas Gauge, again and again and again
Reply #1 - 12/19/09 at 13:52:35

Well during run time I believe you would have to completely plug it due to the evaporative effect of the wind over the tube. Also with the capillary effect of drawing the fuel up the line during high speed might be enough to saturate ther cotton and then saturate you. If you pluged it during run time it would work but what would be the point in having to stop to check your fuel level if you could look inside anyways. I would be interested to see how it works in realtity.

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #2 - 12/19/09 at 14:47:05

I've been talking with the engineers at work at making a cap with a gas gauge, the problem is that with the new bikes going to fuel injection which have gas gauges, there's not much of a market.  If we put something together in our spare time I'll see what we can do to market it here.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/19/09 at 15:09:56

sounds alot like a fuse

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/19/09 at 16:09:18

been done on a number of bobbers Ive seen although I dont have pics handy. I think it looks cool and is practicle but all the version Ive seen have the sight tube attached to the tank. Drill a hole in the side near the bottom and in the side near the top, add some fittings and run the tube between those. You wouldnt have to cap it off but you would have to drill the tank. Im cool with just taking a look down inside myself. One bobber did have a 5th of Jack Daniels instead of just a clear hose. Looked sweet but I imagine it'd be unweildy while riding.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #5 - 12/19/09 at 16:15:48

... a fuse, LOL  Grin

Nothing better than the good'ol 100mi/3-digit lock folks,
maybe a lawnmower float-fuel gauge adaptation would work.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #6 - 12/21/09 at 13:15:49

Adapt another bikes tank that already had a fuel gauge, get more capacity and in the end a cleaner job.
Sevier

A vulcan 750 tank fits well and came with a guage,and was bigger

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/21/09 at 14:06:15

you did have to do some fabrication though with the vulcan tank correct? Im still anxious to find a larger tank with guage or not thats an easy swap (ie doesnt require any welding or extensive bracket fabrication)

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #8 - 12/21/09 at 15:43:43

Two quick questions, If I want to use a Vulcan 750 tank, do I have to move the front mount for the seat back?  Second, what about the speedo?

Thanks,

Jerry

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 12/21/09 at 17:53:25

I got it!... it just came to me..
Here's the prototype,... who wants to try it out?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #10 - 12/21/09 at 18:23:52

I am intrigued and I want to subscribe to your newsletter/cult/compound in Guyana.  How do you calibrate the cup-Qtip assembly?

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/21/09 at 20:48:40

ero4444 wrote on 12/21/09 at 18:23:52:
I am intrigued and I want to subscribe to your newsletter/cult/compound in Guyana.  How do you calibrate the cup-Qtip assembly?

Ohh, come onn,, its self explanatory. These have been around for ears.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 12/22/09 at 09:59:54

Gas Gauge......  Huh  

It sputters you switch to reserve and find a gas station.

So , I guess since people are talking about replacement tanks.......

People here have put Sportster tanks on their bikes, I guess I should tell you that there are 4.2- 4.5 gallon aftermarket Sportster tanks out there (approx 1 gal reserve).

The "fixer"  Sportster I picked up this summer had a 2.5 gallon factory tank on it.  Since the bike was a fixer , it was getting 30 mpg in the beginning.  That means I was going into reserve at 50 miles.  Shocked  I was thinking.... "What the @#%$^& did I get myself into, just to get a longer bike so my teen age son could come along"   Angry .   Well, I found a 4.5 gal tank on eBay.     I then hit Reserve at a reasonably 100 miles.  Then..... I started to go over the bike in earnest and replaced  things like the wheel bearings, clean the factory foam air cleaner, adjusted the carb etc etc... and it now gets 42 mpg city and 55 highway.    Think about that..... 55 mpg with a 4.5 gallon tank......  Grin   

Google "Porkster", or go to the J&P Cycles website or  go to the  Paugho website http://www.paughco.com

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #13 - 12/24/09 at 08:20:20

The vulcan tank comes as close to a perfect fit as you could hope but some fabrication is necessary. A lot to making everything work, but a good candidate for a swap.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:18:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Gauge, again and again and again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.