Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold Weather Start Tips Needed (Read 147 times)
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Cold Weather Start Tips Needed
12/15/09 at 08:41:18

I can't start the bike.  It's been over a month since I last started it.  Battery isn't dead (although it soon will be if I keep trying unsuccessfully)  I've played with the choke, and given it plenty of gas.  Now she's a sitten still, and so am I.  

Any cold weather start tips would be greatly appreciated.  thxx

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cold Weather Start Tips Needed
Reply #1 - 12/15/09 at 08:43:56

If I turn the throttle, it wont start. Just let it sit, hook up a charger if its been cranking a while, set the choke to 1/2, hit the starter. If that dont fly, go full choke,

Also, use prime, that way you know the bowl is full & a cold stiff diaphragm isnt stopping the flow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #2 - 12/15/09 at 09:14:24

You're right, she doesn't like the throttle.  Played with the choke and she's good to go.  Never been winter riding before, but today seems like a good day to start.

TY Justin  Kiss

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 12/15/09 at 09:34:55

The Savage/S40 doesn't really have a choke. It has an "enrichener" instead. The enrichener opens up an extra fuel passage, and engine vacuum pulls extra fuel through that passage for starting. If the throttle is opened it allows too much air flow, so there isn't enough engine vacuum to do the job. A "choke" works by restricting the airflow ahead of the carburetor so engine vacuum can pull extra fuel through the normal fuel passages. With a choke, opening the throttle a little usually helps.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/15/09 at 09:51:20

I knew a guy who in winter would tightly roll a page of newspaper and burn it under the engine case before kicking it over.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/15/09 at 10:04:58

My old DP bike was famous for not starting if it sat for more that a few days...
The trick for it was,.. Shake it furiously from side to side for a few seconds before cranking...  
Looked insane, but worked every time... Weird?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 12/15/09 at 10:05:35

Phelonius wrote on 12/15/09 at 09:51:20:
I knew a guy who in winter would tightly roll a page of newspaper and burn it under the engine case before kicking it over.

Phelonius

Old Skool - Crazy by today's standards!!!  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - 12/16/09 at 01:23:15

Arrgghhhh......  Angry

-4 this morning and no go.... Sad No Bump start and she's heavier than I thought pushing back up the hill.... (must quit smoking)

So any other tips would be handy, I'll have to get the battery out to charge tonight... Hope I haven't flooded the darn thing.... Don't like walking...

AJ

sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #8 - 12/16/09 at 03:29:37

Phelonius wrote on 12/15/09 at 09:51:20:

Phelonius

I had thought about pulling out my hair dryer...or bringing the bike inside to warm her up.  Luckily, none of that was necessary.  I blazed a 2 hour ride yesterday on the interstate to Worcester and back.  It was a bit nipply on the way home, but seriously not bad for the middle of December-in Massachusetts!

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #9 - 12/16/09 at 03:31:38

Oh-the only thing I wish I had done was check the tire pressure.  It didn't feel quite right (or maybe I am paranoid)   I'm sure they should have at least been checked, since the bike had been sittin so long.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 12/17/09 at 19:40:12

Cold tires do ride a little stiffer than normal, but they soften up after a few miles, once they start to warm up and flex a bit. But yes, a pressure check after sitting is a good idea--even though "sealed", tires do tend to bleed down a bit, especially in the cold.

IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 12/18/09 at 04:51:51

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 12/15/09 at 08:41:18:
I can't start the bike.  It's been over a month since I last started it.  Battery isn't dead (although it soon will be if I keep trying unsuccessfully)  I've played with the choke, and given it plenty of gas.  Now she's a sitten still, and so am I.  

Any cold weather start tips would be greatly appreciated.  thxx

Get some cold start spray and spray it into the airbox/air filter before trying to start a cold bike that has been standing for a while.  I don't know what is available in the US but in the UK something like this does the trick:
http://www.startyabastard.com/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:27:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold Weather Start Tips Needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.