Send Topic Print
Carb Issues (Read 286 times)
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Issues
12/14/09 at 13:23:33

I recently purchased a carb kit with jets off of ebay the product works fine no problems there. Its what ive done. Ok first I installed a k&n type filter on the bike as well as a hd type muffler it starts fine idle fine, but when you give it gas sputters and cant get up and going, and when release the throttle it backfires. The pieces that came with the kit ( be easy on me Im not sure what there called) the main jet that sits on top of everything the smaller one that looks like a nozzle whivh i assume is the fuel / air mixture screw, i replaced both upgrading them from stock to a 150 on the large one and a 52.5. the white spacer i not sure where it is at but i can only get the bottom of the carb off im afraid of striping the screws and then im screwed. Ive seen other post about the main jet contols the amount of gas taken in when the throttle is pulled and the air/fuel screw controls the idle. Ive worked on it for about a week tearing it apart back and forth and Im just lost, thanks for any advice guys ill try and post pics of the carb and bike later Wink Grin Undecided :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Carb Issues
Reply #1 - 12/14/09 at 13:30:59

Sounds like something more than just a slight jet size increase would cause...

When you replaced the main jet,... did you remember to put the brass washer back in place, under the new main jet?....

Did you remove the carb to do the jet changes, or just take off the float bowl from the bottom?...

The nozzely looking jet, is the pilot jet... The idle mix screw is the one on the right side of the carb, under the brass plug...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/14/09 at 16:00:07

I took the carb off and replace the washer behind the main jet. The bike when I got it wouldn't turn over at all so, I took the carb and replaced the jets and now it idles fine and today when I rode it, it sputters a little bit then kicks in hard and almsot pulled me off teh bike at one time, and then when I release the trottle it backfires. I spoke with a guy today and he said I might be running to lean still bacasue of me replacing the pilot jet with one with bleeders, I think that is what there're called, would casue the idle and start to be fine but the trottle and backfiring to keep happening, what do youll think. :'(....Id like to not have to take it to the dealer and look retarded and get charged extra, when I can fix it myself.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 12/14/09 at 16:06:34

I would use the right type of pilot jet that came in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/14/09 at 16:47:31

Ok i'll try that tomorrow...tell yall how it goes..

IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/15/09 at 14:21:53

I changed the pilot jet to the original and the main jet I kept at 150 and it still backfires and still sputters. I still have a 152.5 and a 155 on hand. Any ideas guys. Im thinking on putting in the 155 because the idle is a little tricky to get right. Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/15/09 at 14:29:18

Might be white washer mod time.

Youve adjusted the fuel/air mix needle on the R side of the carb?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/15/09 at 15:34:12

No the air/ fuel screw I havent messed with it. I don't exactly know where its at is it on the outside or do I have to unbolt something.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/15/09 at 16:57:58

Its covered by a brass plug thathas to be very carefully drilled out.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 12/15/09 at 17:00:52

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/15/09 at 17:19:48

I asjusted the Air/Fuel screw from closed all the way open using 3/4 turns with revs in between leaving about 10 second intervels for the carb to adjust and still bad backfire with the harley muffler I put on it sounds like the gun just went off.....living in the wrong side of town doesn't help things either...thanks Ill check the petcock tomorrow..thanks for all the help guys I'lll keep ya posted.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/15/09 at 17:57:13

I adjusted mine with a pocket screwdriver at stop lights. Took a while, but I think I got it as right as it gets. 3/4 turn at a time is, IMO, too much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/15/09 at 18:19:07

Ill try riding it tomorrow and adjusting it after I check the petcock.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/15/09 at 20:08:52

I guess it took me 6 or so lights to get it adjusted.Youll feel & hear the difference with each adjustment that way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/15/09 at 20:53:58

Micvicpel wrote on 12/14/09 at 16:00:07:
when I rode it, it sputters a little bit then kicks in hard and almsot pulled me off teh bike at one time,
and then when I release the trottle it backfires.

1. Sounds like you need to clean the slide, it's sticking.  When it suddenly pulls up that puppy wants to go.  YEEEHAAAA!
Try an ounce of seafoam in the tank.  Should be better before you run out of gas.  Or take the top off and use carb cleaner.  Don't get it on the rubber.  Soap and water if you do.  Becareful, it's a $90 part.  When you clean the slide don't leave any fingerprints on it when you put it back.

2. Then you shut her down hard, she barks at you!  Could be 2 reasons, maybe you got your idle real low.  When you shut down hard it over shoots and kerpow.  second reason you might have the idle open more than neccessary, so you have to turn the idle speed lower than neccessary.  I generally have my idle high 12 to 1300.  benefit is more oil to the head while idling.  a good thing while warming up.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:30:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.