Gasoline Issue (Read 346 times)
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Gasoline Issue
12/13/09 at 22:41:22

The motorcycle has worked great since I got it.  The only problem is that it won't take a full tank of gas.

Let me explain the situation.  Lets say I ride it until the it runs out of gas.  I go to the gas station and if I put more than .750 gallons in it, it will start to leak gas if I try to use it.  Yes, gasoline will come out of the carburetor area to the floor and it won't start.  I would have to pull the throtle to keep it from dying.  Lots of black smoke will come out of the exhaust.  After a couple of minutes, it will start to work perfectly.  No black smoke or anything.

NOTE.  This only happens if I put more than .750 gallons in it.  Which gives me about 24 miles between gas stops.  If I put .750 gallons or less, I will have no problems at all.

Does anyone have an idea of what's happening?  Do you think I should take it to the mechanic or is it something I can do myself.  I'm a handy guy.  Thanks to the guides found here, I was able to replace the front brakes pads on my own.  And now I'm changing the oil once the weather in LA permits it.

Thanks guys.

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

Keep me from getting a real job by reading my blog and clicking the ads on it...please

http://thisstrangelongjourney.blogspot.com/
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Gasoline Issue
Reply #1 - 12/13/09 at 22:48:23

Im geussing your float valve needs replaced. My friends nighthawk had a similar problem. Fill it up too much and it would leak out of the airbox. Take your carb out and check the float level. If thats correct replace your float valve. Its only a few dollars. If it still isnt working right Im sure someone else will chime in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/14/09 at 04:05:35

You have to run it out of gas? As in empty the carb? If you run the carb dry, the float is down & sticking. Dont put it on prime till youve got it full & ready to start it, then hit Prime & thwack the carb a lick to make the float swing into place & close the valve inside. Sounds like your floats are hangin to me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 12/14/09 at 05:52:12

The fuller the tank, the more gravity pressure is on the needle seat float assy. Could the float be near sinking (from gas leaking inside) so just a little more pressure sinks it completely ? That is the first thing I'd suspect. But that is a strange problem.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 12/14/09 at 06:21:05

I've had luck freeing a float by tapping the bowl. Hold a screwdriver upside down and tap the bowl firmly with the screwdriver handle. Its worked for me several times.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/14/09 at 08:43:16

.75 gallons is about the reserve, right? So if the fuel level goes past the regular ("ON") line of the petcock, it floods? Funny. Might be worth it to check the petcock too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/14/09 at 09:05:39

The question is...

Are you running on "PRI", "RES" or "ON" ?

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/14/09 at 10:20:13

both your float valve and your petcock are malfunctioning unless you left the petcock on PRI. Then it would be only the float valve.
To be a cheapster, remove the float bowl and the float and the inner part of the valve. Then let the fuel flow from PRI through the carb into a catch bowl for about three ounces. Put it back together and see if it works. Also check the float level at this time by putting the petcock on PRI and lifting the float with a finger to see how high it needs to be to stop the flow.It should be horizontal. Replacement of the whole valve assembly is not expensive and if the above doesn't cure it , do that.
Fix or replace the petcock if needed.
It is nice to be able to speak of these things without it being changed to petthingy.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 12/14/09 at 12:23:12

verslagen1 wrote on 12/14/09 at 09:05:39:
The question is...

Are you running on "PRI", "RES" or "ON" ?

the answer is "ON"

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

Keep me from getting a real job by reading my blog and clicking the ads on it...please

IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 12/14/09 at 12:25:16

Phelonius wrote on 12/14/09 at 10:20:13:
both your float valve and your petcock are malfunctioning unless you left the petcock on PRI. Then it would be only the float valve.
To be a cheapster, remove the float bowl and the float and the inner part of the valve. Then let the fuel flow from PRI through the carb into a catch bowl for about three ounces. Put it back together and see if it works. Also check the float level at this time by putting the petcock on PRI and lifting the float with a finger to see how high it needs to be to stop the flow.It should be horizontal. Replacement of the whole valve assembly is not expensive and if the above doesn't cure it , do that.
Fix or replace the petcock if needed.
It is nice to be able to speak of these things without it being changed to petthingy.

Phelonius

Thanks.  Any instructions on how to do that step by step?  

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 01/02/10 at 21:12:35

Phelonius wrote on 12/14/09 at 10:20:13:
both your float valve and your petcock are malfunctioning...

That's assuming that the leak occurs when the engine is not running.

If the leak occurs only when the engine is running, that probably exonerates the petcock.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 01/03/10 at 17:39:45

Yes, the leak only occurs when the engine is running.  Any directions on how to replace the float valve?

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/03/10 at 18:02:32

Basically it's a carb clean, see the tech section.

But before you jump into that, check the float level.

if the bottom of the carb has a drain nipple, put a clear plastic tube on it and bend it up along the carb, open the drain valve and the gas should come up.  You'll need to put the petcock in prime to see the level it shuts off at.  Should shut off at the bowl gasket give or take a bit.  In your case, do this with caution as if your line doesn't come up to the top of the tank it may over flow.  even then it may over flow the vent tubes.  If it does you'll have to adjust the float level even if you replace the valve.

Once you disassemble the carb, the float valve should just pull out of the carb body.

WWW   IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - 03/12/10 at 07:37:54

Just a little update on this.

I took the bike into a shop since I though a carburettor clean up would be above my head.  Since then, it works perfectly.  No gasoline issues any more.

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 03/12/10 at 12:04:00

Surely they told you what the problem mite have been ?
Did they clean the carb, or find another problem ? We could all learn more if we had more info than what you posted.

But glad its fixed anyway.

juang wrote on 03/12/10 at 07:37:54:
Just a little update on this.

I took the bike into a shop since I though a carburettor clean up would be above my head.  Since then, it works perfectly.  No gasoline issues any more.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:23:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasoline Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.