My Project (Read 394 times)
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
My Project
12/08/09 at 19:59:15

So this is the start of my bobber build.  Took a stock 2004 Savage and have a lot of plans for it for as cheap as possible.  So far the most money I will have to spend is on a new set of forks as they were a little tweaked when I bought it used.  here are some pictures with some mock ups.  It is a work in progress still and has a bit to go.  Let me know what you think.

Before, without the tank.

Mock up, still a bit of parts missing.

Cut and moved back the rear shock mounts to drop the rear a couple of inches.

me sitting on the bike.

everything is still in the mock up stages.  So some of the welds are just tacks to hold things in place, there will be much clean up and more removal of parts to come.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: My Project
Reply #1 - 12/08/09 at 20:29:27

Are you going to stay with stock type forks or considering other model forks ?  You can find GS models for very good prices sometimes.

IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #2 - 12/08/09 at 20:39:33

I like the stock type forks personally.  So I am going for those.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 12/08/09 at 21:06:16

I'm kinda diggin' the back fender treatment. I think though that the taillight needs to be different. That's the stock light, right? It looks to big for that look and the angle up is a bit strange to my eyes.

One guy's opinion. I do play trombone though, so I know about big things going at wrong angles. If I didn't use my bike as a pack mule for long trips I think I've finally seen what my one rider back fender might evolve towards.

Jack

IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #4 - 12/08/09 at 21:19:06

its just a mock up, its not bolted on yet.  the angle will be changed a bit, but I think I am going to stick with the stock light as I can modify it with LED's to  have turn signals in it as well.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/08/09 at 21:36:15

I thinkin' I like the bob'd fender but that light pointing up.  Won't give you the best visibility.  Plus you're practically sitting on it.

If you're gonna side mount the plate, I'd mount round trailer light on both sides and hook up like nightster.

WWW   IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #6 - 12/08/09 at 22:08:20

havent figured out where to mount the plate yet, I dont like the look of side mounts as I have to have them horizontal being as I live on a military base.  Laws of the post.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 12/08/09 at 22:47:13

If you came up with a medium low backrest you would have the perfect place for your tag plate. I know that kind of defeats the bobber look, but it would make doing wheelies a lot safer.

Would've never thought of using LEDs inside the taillight for signals. Now there's an idea I could get behind. My stock turn signals in the back are so beat up that I've been trying to come up with a close-in substitute. You've got me thinking. I hate you for that. My brain gets tired and it's going to be pretty dang cold around here for a while. At least it's snowing and there's a big wind blowing.

Jack

IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #8 - 12/08/09 at 23:00:05

just enclose the reflector that is inside the light a little closer to the current light and use a couple leds on each side.  At least it sounds good in theory.

IP Logged
iMc
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, TX
Reply #9 - 01/27/10 at 09:51:57

That's looking pretty nice Nerf. Did the fender look really high up without lowering the back end? I ask because I'm trying to decide what to do with my stock fender, and I'm considering something similar but don't want to have to relocate the shocks.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 01/27/10 at 12:55:24

Here's a tail/brake light, turn signal combo that you could mount using a bracket on the back underside of the seat pan or on top of the fender:
http://www.remixcustom.com/st-5066led.html

or, tail/brake light only and use separate rear turns:
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4827702

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #11 - 01/27/10 at 16:41:46

Nice build. I'm bobbing mine, except running a mini 1/2 trailer fender instead. I really need to get on that.

I'm thinking of going with some turn signal/brake light combos like on the new Harleys that I've seen. No MAIN tail/brake light... Both turn signals are red, so they double as the brakes and turns. Looks pretty slick.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 01/28/10 at 06:36:19

I know few care, but there are legal requirements for the spacing on turn signals. Mounted on or in the tail light, they are simply invisible to other motorists, and thus useless. If you live on a military installation, you will have to keep them happy, too. Remember that the military is concerned about the number of people they lose to motorcycle crashes, and would be perfectly happy to completely forbid their people from riding motorcycles.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 01/28/10 at 07:38:32

I care.

IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #14 - 02/04/10 at 18:38:10

I havent figured out the turn signal situation yet but have done quite a bit more work to it.  Will post pictures soon.  I just use hand signals for now and I know that is an ok legal alternative.

As for the question on the height without the rear end dropped.  It looked a little high to me without it dropped but I like the raked out look.  

My buddy helped design a plate holder that mounts to the right rear shock mount point and rides almost along the inside of the rim.  rides great and doesnt obscure the plate at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:29:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.