Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I have no clue why it does this (Read 290 times)
desithug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I have no clue why it does this
12/06/09 at 23:26:29

So I have had my 1987 sauzuki savage 650 for roughly 4 months now and it has been a bittersweet experience.
When it runs its great, however there have been days when it would not. Initially when I got it, it ran well. Then after nmaybe three weeks it would not start,. I looked around for possible problems and got a new battery and changed the spark plugs and it ran well for another few weeks. Then it would not start again.
This time there was a leaky head gasket and I got that fixed professionally at Barnett's Suzuki at Raleigh. Since I went in there anyways I told them to take a look at any other issues and got my oil changed and all such other stuff. It was really smooth and ran extremely well for the next couple of weeks or so . And then one fine day without any warning it would not start. Since I had just gotten it looked at, I didnt mess around with it at all. I called up the guys and they said it had to be the dirty carbs, since I didnt really have any time on my hands, I asked them to do it for me. And it was back working again. This was a couple of weeks ago. I rode it on friday, no problems at all. It rained like crazy on saturday and hence it wasnt a great idea to go out, Tonight all of a sudden it wouldnt start. It was moderately cold here when I tried to start it (around high 30 to low 40).
So I dont really know what the problem is that it works like new for two weeks and then suddenly will not start without a warning.

When I brought it back after the first maintenance it had a much reduced backfiring, however after the second one it was crazy loud. However it seemed like it was much lesser after a few days..but still audible.

The mechanic mentioned that the bike needed a new petcock and it seemed like it was always on prime. I am not sure if that is true because a couple of times I have ran out of gas and the bike stalled off when in on, but on flipping it to reserve it was back to running.

This forum is my only true hope of finding a solution to this problem.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I have no clue why it does this
Reply #1 - 12/06/09 at 23:40:10

Replace petcock with a Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock...
See here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

also check that your gas cap is venting properly....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #2 - 12/07/09 at 01:10:17

I had the same problem for a while when I first got mine. Turned out I had a load of rust/dirt in the tank which kept blocking up the carb etc.

It would be worth taking the petcock off and taking a look at the screen.

IP Logged
desithug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/07/09 at 06:19:47

Is it by any chance possible that it would now start because it is too cold. It was actually below freezing when I tries to start it last night.

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #4 - 12/07/09 at 07:30:57

Unless your fuel line is freezing, (and froze on all the previous occasions), that doesn't sound like the culprit. Is the starter turning over? If not, is you battery charged? Are you getting fire to the plug? You can check by pulling the plug and looking for spark in the gap. Is the key and the ignition swith on, and are you in Neutral, holding the clutch in, and is your kickstand up when you try to start it? Are you using the choke? Also as previous posters have pointed out the issues with the petcock can prevent fuel from reaching the carb. A quik shot of starting fluid directly into the carb can tell you if it's a fuel supply issue. Some here are firm believers in running SeaFoam through the carb to clean it (jets, etc.). Good luck and try not to give to much of your money away to mechanics until you have exhausted the resources on this site. The Reference info, and the Old Timers here are sure to get you going, don't give up! Cool

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #5 - 12/07/09 at 07:44:07

PhilM wrote on 12/07/09 at 01:10:17:
I had the same problem for a while when I first got mine. Turned out I had a load of rust/dirt in the tank which kept blocking up the carb etc.

It would be worth taking the petcock off and taking a look at the screen.

I had a similar problem.  I don't know if the mechanics would have routinely checked the screen.  Rust in the tank caused mine to clog up and the tank finally rusted through.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
desithug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/07/09 at 08:47:55

Looking inside the tank, It looks like there's no visible rust. I will take out the spark plug and have a look at it, but the spark plug was put in new less than a month ago.

Also is there anyone here close by...Raleigh,Durham or Chapel Hill, NC

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 12/07/09 at 10:58:18

The srinath is in charlotte. Chapel hill is by greensboro right ?

But well, the srinath is also a lazy bum who wont keep to any kind of schedule ...

You maybe getting water in the tank, water in the air box, water in some where ... I'd clean carbs, and look for water entry ...You also may be no charging the battery ... you do a lot of short rides ? ... its a 15 minute ride each time you start the bike to get the battery back to 100% ... so you take a lot of 5 mile rides, 3-4-5 times a week and in a couple weeks you have a battery that is under 25% of its strength. I know one clown who did exactly that to a virago 535.

And does your handle mean what I think it does ?

And old bikes like this are to be kept out of shop at any cost ... those people charge too much and do a rushed and sloppy job that it untimately proves too $$ and detrimental. Heck, I'd even keep new bikes out of shops.

Diagnose ... first that is the key ... You have to do that, shops do a lousy job of that. Replacing any part that is 50% used, will mean you replace the whole bike part by part and ... not even get a new bike in the process and spend way more $$$ ... cos face it, most of the bike is over 50% wore out or aged out.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #8 - 12/07/09 at 11:13:33

desithug wrote on 12/06/09 at 23:26:29:
So I have had my 1987 sauzuki savage 650 for roughly 4 months now and it has been a bittersweet experience.
When it runs its great, however there have been days when it would not. Initially when I got it, it ran well. Then after nmaybe three weeks it would not start,. I looked around for possible problems and got a new battery and changed the spark plugs and it ran well for another few weeks. Then it would not start again.
This time there was a leaky head gasket and I got that fixed professionally at Barnett's Suzuki at Raleigh. Since I went in there anyways I told them to take a look at any other issues and got my oil changed and all such other stuff. It was really smooth and ran extremely well for the next couple of weeks or so . And then one fine day without any warning it would not start. Since I had just gotten it looked at, I didnt mess around with it at all. I called up the guys and they said it had to be the dirty carbs, since I didnt really have any time on my hands, I asked them to do it for me. And it was back working again. This was a couple of weeks ago. I rode it on friday, no problems at all. It rained like crazy on saturday and hence it wasnt a great idea to go out, Tonight all of a sudden it wouldnt start. It was moderately cold here when I tried to start it (around high 30 to low 40).
So I dont really know what the problem is that it works like new for two weeks and then suddenly will not start without a warning.

When I brought it back after the first maintenance it had a much reduced backfiring, however after the second one it was crazy loud. However it seemed like it was much lesser after a few days..but still audible.

The mechanic mentioned that the bike needed a new petcock and it seemed like it was always on prime. I am not sure if that is true because a couple of times I have ran out of gas and the bike stalled off when in on, but on flipping it to reserve it was back to running.

This forum is my only true hope of finding a solution to this problem.  

I can only fit one spark plug in.   Grin Grin Grin

Hundreds of out of work comedians and I think I'm funny.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 12/07/09 at 11:19:29

srinath wrote on 12/07/09 at 10:58:18:
The srinath is in charlotte.
Cool.
Srinath.

Just Wki'd Srinath,.... actor, cricket player,.  
or
(means, King of Romance)...

Wink  always wondered...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 12/07/09 at 13:44:05

Gaaaa ... the srinath is not the same as Javagal Srinath.

The srinath ... nearly as common in India as say John (more like Bill cos john is definetly sriram or srinivas)

King of romance, that I am ... oh yea ... the long line of women and all the roses and whatever ... yea ... easy to find the srinath's house ... just follow the women
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/07/09 at 16:19:06

I was having similar problems with a 2004. I reached out to the folks posting here for help and was told “Check the petcock and the vacuum line”.

I seemed a bit of a stretch to blame the vacuum line from the tank to the carb on a bike with no visible wear and 4000 miles, but for $3.00 it was worth a shot. It was a ten minute fix and only required a pair of needle nose pliers. That was 3000 miles ago.
Note: I also removed the petcock and checked the screen for trash and found that it was clean and looked new.

IP Logged
JohnWalker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/13/09 at 21:44:22

have you cleaned out the jets?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/13/09 at 22:58:03

He had the carbs cleaned by the shop. If theres still off and on starting try checking electrical connections from front to back. Make sure none are corroded and add some dialectric grease to all of them corroded or not. I had one pin correded of the dozen or so connecting to the cdi box and got no start. May also be the kill switch is just dirty.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 12/14/09 at 20:28:27

one question, are we positive the shop did what they said they did?

i worked @ a jiffy lube for a week, and if u were a repeat customer, they would only change your oil filter every other time, but still charge u....i couldn't work with such dishonesty, that and the only things the dudes knew about cars was where fluids went....heck, my girlfriend can do that lol

and look alot better then a 300 pound guy with his butt crack hangin out lol

now i'm a comedian !!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:20:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I have no clue why it does this

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.