Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
belt squeak and rear pulley play (Read 1750 times)
FL Native
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deland, Florida
Re: belt squeak and rear pulley play
Reply #15 - 05/19/10 at 05:09:41

Thanks, I will have hubby try "all of the above" as it's annoying as hell Angry

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctem
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 05/19/10 at 14:47:52

They claim Armor All drys out rubber I don't know that but have heard that.

« Last Edit: 05/19/10 at 16:10:15 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 05/31/10 at 19:50:51

All that fuss and goop for such a simple problem...

Your belt is too tight. Loosen off the adjusters until you can twist the belt 90 degrees to itself. A tight twist, your fingernail bed should blanch.

Suzuki sets the belt too tight. Kawasaki sets the belt too tight. HD sets the belt too tight.

If you have the little brass belt tensioner gauge that came with my 98 it makes a good fishing weight. 'bout all it is good for.

I've been running mine this way since not long after I bought it in 1998. Stone stock showroom new. Mike at Suzuki City in Biloxi MS set it up per the book, had me ride it and showed me the twist trick. Hasn't squeaked since unless it gets FILTHY.

For your belt cleaning, soap and water. As far as belt dressing, don't. It eats the synthetic rubber and the synthetic cording.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
FL Native
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deland, Florida
Reply #18 - 06/01/10 at 11:28:47

Thanks for the input....I have not done any of the "fuss & goop". Actually, I washed her real good paying special attention to the belt area, making sure that I rinsed that area VERY well. Dried and polished her (I love Turtle Wax ICE) took her for a couple of spins around the block and no more problems (so far)  I won't try to fix it if it aint broke   Wink

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctem
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 06/01/10 at 11:36:49

Anything you put on the belt, will quiet it 'till it wears off, (not long)...
Try scuffing the sides and teeth edges with a coarse sandpaper... Wink...

... or use an angle grinder to bevel the belt teeth edges...

« Last Edit: 05/06/12 at 09:51:02 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 06/02/10 at 19:42:04

I snapped a belt on an FXWG I was the less than thrilled owner of. Broke the inner primary when it let go. My riding partner Drifter Doug had one of his Harleys crack the tranny case the belt was so tight (showroom floor new) within a couple months of purchase. His son's 95 FXD (base model Dyna) arrived with bent rear pulley, bent transmission output shaft and bent rear axle courtesy of the local HD stealership.

Running a belt set too tight is a recipe for disaster. When I manage to grenade my stock belt my Savage will run the same chain as her 1957 Panhead stablemate, a 530 o-ring.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
fortysixand2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/13/18 at 00:38:41

Good tip! Mine has never squealed before but does now. Thought it could be worn bearing or cush rubbers causing too much play in the pulley but now I think it might just be a dirty, maybe a little too tight, belt. Will clean it good and do what you did to the edges.

Serowbot wrote on 06/01/10 at 11:36:49:
Anything you put on the belt, will quiet it 'till it wears off, (not long)...
Try scuffing the sides and teeth edges with a coarse sandpaper... Wink...

... or use an angle grinder to bevel the belt teeth edges...
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/belt2.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 07/13/18 at 03:24:49

fortysixand2 wrote on 07/13/18 at 00:38:41:
Good tip! Mine has never squealed before but does now. Thought it could be worn bearing or cush rubbers causing too much play in the pulley but now I think it might just be a dirty, maybe a little too tight, belt. Will clean it good and do what you did to the edges.

Go to the Tech Section and look for the rubber floor mat modification to remove the "wobble" from the rear cush drive.  The rear pulley bearing wears and allows the rear pulley to thingy forward from the belt tension....then the belt no longer tracks straight and rubs on the outside of the front pulley.

(PS....WD was a good mechanic and is correct- running a belt too tight is not a good thing.  The belt should not be as tight as a banjo string, and you should be able to twist the bottom of the belt 90 degrees just using your fingertips.  WD seemed to be able to break a ball bearing with a banana and his bikes were constantly broken!  He was always breaking something.)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 07/13/18 at 12:02:38

I had bad belt squeak and first made sure my belt wasn't too tight.  I run a 140/90 rear tire and an oversize front pulley so it's actually hard to get my belt as loose I would like.  
Then I sanded the edges with coarse paper.  Then I used an angle grinder to bevel the edges even more.  Nothing lasted.
Used black shoe polish on the edges and it helped temporarily, as described, until it wore off.

What finally fixed it was the rubber floor mat shim.  Completely silent now.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #24 - 07/13/18 at 12:22:40

Shouldn't the pulley carrier be clamped tight against the spacer/wheel bearing, preventing a wobble? If the bearing is worn, it should be replaced. Or am I missing something?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 07/13/18 at 12:56:50

the pulley should be able to move against the wheel hub or it will grind until it can.
the floor mat mod makes it fit tight while preventing metal to metal contact.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/13/18 at 18:35:55

faffi wrote on 07/13/18 at 12:22:40:
Shouldn't the pulley carrier be clamped tight against the spacer/wheel bearing, preventing a wobble? If the bearing is worn, it should be replaced. Or am I missing something?

The inner bearing race is clamped and locked in place when the rear axle is tightened.  The outer race is pushed into the pulley hub....and there is an eccentric load that gradually wears on the bearing and allows the pulley to go out of alignment.

The rubber floor mat mod works on new or slightly worn bearing.....the better cure is to install a brass bushing on the pulley hub that allows the wheel hub to hold the pulley hub in alignment.

The "pulley wobble" thread is here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1480506578

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 07/13/18 at 20:34:20

If you adjusted it according to the Suzuki "little book "you used the gauge  that comes with the bike's tool kit,  to set the tension, that tool is worthless! it sets the belt tension to tight ! adjust the belt so that you can twist the bottom section 90 degrees using your bare hand.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #28 - 07/13/18 at 21:09:32

Thanks all for this informative update. I have been experiencing a bit of this myself and this answers many questions and relieves a lot of anxiety.

IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #29 - 07/14/18 at 13:44:11

Dave wrote on 07/13/18 at 18:35:55:
The inner bearing race is clamped and locked in place when the rear axle is tightened.  The outer race is pushed into the pulley hub....and there is an eccentric load that gradually wears on the bearing and allows the pulley to go out of alignment.

The rubber floor mat mod works on new or slightly worn bearing.....the better cure is to install a brass bushing on the pulley hub that allows the wheel hub to hold the pulley hub in alignment.

The "pulley wobble" thread is here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1480506578

Thank you. Is this a more or less permanent fix, or will that also wear out in the short or not so long term?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:35:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › belt squeak and rear pulley play

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.