S40 Fuel Line Size (Read 139 times)
bdearlove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 Fuel Line Size
12/06/09 at 05:45:51

Tried looking everywhere, even bikebandit scematics don't have it listed. \
I am looking at buying a Tour Tank. Anyone know what the fuel line size is: 1/4 or 5/16 or 3/8

Thanks!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: S40 Fuel Line Size
Reply #1 - 12/06/09 at 06:38:48

If I had to bet money, I'd bet "None of the Above." You have a Japanese motorcycle. I would bet the fuel line is a metric size. Just remove your fuel line, take it to the automotive supply house with you, and match it up with whatever they have in stock. If it were me, I might take the fuel line to Ace Hardware and try for some clear Tygon tubing, just for the looks.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 12/06/09 at 08:44:52

When I put my tour tank on the back I took the front fuel fitting in to get a hose to match. Remember that you need to get a two-to-one "T" fitting to get both both gas lines into the carb. And, and this is a big AND, you want to put an inline shut-off valve in the line from the extra tank. Mine is under the back of the left side of my seat so I can reach it when going down the road. Our bikes sip the gas so a small hose isn't really an issue, but it's still best to go as big as you can.

You need the cut-off valve because if you fill both tanks and start down the road, the tank that's highest (in my case the aux. tank on the back) will gravity feed into the lower tank. Nothing quite like getting your leg soaked with gasoline coming out around your main tank filler cap on a hot August day while stuck in traffic.

Get an angled fitting to come out of your tank instead of one that comes straight out. Also get an in line fuel filter for the back tank. Mine is a metal screw together that lets me take out the filter element for cleaning/replacement.

Around town the way I work it is I fill both tanks, shut off the back tank and run on the front tank to lower it's contents before the tank heats up and expands the fuel. After I get it down a half gallon or so, I shut off the front tank and open up the valve for the back tank. Gravity feeds the fuel to the carb and I go down the road until it sputters. Then I switch back to the front tank.

On long trips I do things differently. I'll run on the front tank until it gets fairly low. Then I switch back to the extra tank and run it dry, switching back to the main where I know there's still some gas AND the reserve. Then it's really time to start looking for a station. But since I have a five gallon Harley tank on the front and a four gallon tank on the back, my bottom tells me to get off the bike long before I run the risk of walking.

Jack

IP Logged
bdearlove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/06/09 at 13:34:21

Ok, thanks all. Was hoping to buy the package kit, but will just order the TT and size accordingly. Thanks!

Jack: Thanks for the TT info, didn't know about the shutoff, was planning on having it at the back, had no idea you couldn't run both. Good to know!

PS: What size tank did you get? Looking at the 2Gallon, want more range but it is my wifes bike and don't want too much added weight. Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/06/09 at 14:18:16

bdearlove wrote on 12/06/09 at 13:34:21:
Ok, thanks all. Was hoping to buy the package kit, but will just order the TT and size accordingly. Thanks!

Jack: Thanks for the TT info, didn't know about the shutoff, was planning on having it at the back, had no idea you couldn't run both. Good to know!

PS: What size tank did you get? Looking at the 2Gallon, want more range but it is my wifes bike and don't want too much added weight. Thanks!

But since I have a five gallon Harley tank on the front and a four gallon tank on the back, my bottom tells me to get off the bike long before I run the risk of walking.

Jack

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bdearlove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/06/09 at 18:39:18

No worry of that, my butt gets sore on my beemer after 60kms. We are going out eastern Canada where some parts more than 150kms distance between gas station. Only reason for looking at the TT.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 12/06/09 at 22:07:36

Unless there's something really wrong with your bike you should have no trouble getting a hundred plus miles (180 or so km or so) before running into the remote chance of running out of gas. Your mileage may vary.

There are those on here who have recommended getting one or two of those metal fuel containers folks use for carrying gas for camp stoves. A couple of one qt./one ltr. containers like that will give you an extra 20-30 miles in a pinch. Make sure they don't leak and stow them out of the sun.

If you put the tour tank on the back, four gallon in my case, and you might want to bump your shocks up one notch. I ended up getting longer shocks (some kind of Harley replacements) because when I do a trip there's my 180 or so pounds plus around a hundred more pounds of the important "stuff" I tend to haul with me.

http://bikepics.com/pictures/1162560/

Jack

IP Logged
bdearlove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/07/09 at 06:14:27

OMG! I think I see a kitchen sink in there!

Thanks for the info. My wife is only 100lbs so shocks should not be an issue. I have more of a concern of her holding it up! hehe.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 12/07/09 at 06:43:04

Wow, does that feel more like a sporty ?
I'd be lookin for a place to tie the guy wires Grin

Jack_650 wrote on 12/06/09 at 22:07:36:
Unless there's something really wrong with your bike you should have no trouble getting a hundred plus miles (180 or so km or so) before running into the remote chance of running out of gas. Your mileage may vary.

There are those on here who have recommended getting one or two of those metal fuel containers folks use for carrying gas for camp stoves. A couple of one qt./one ltr. containers like that will give you an extra 20-30 miles in a pinch. Make sure they don't leak and stow them out of the sun.

If you put the tour tank on the back, four gallon in my case, and you might want to bump your shocks up one notch. I ended up getting longer shocks (some kind of Harley replacements) because when I do a trip there's my 180 or so pounds plus around a hundred more pounds of the important "stuff" I tend to haul with me.

Jack

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 12/07/09 at 08:28:25

Jack_650 wrote on 12/06/09 at 22:07:36:

Jack

My apologies for chiming in with something off-topic, but I have to as -- Jack, what is that seat?  I want one!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 12/08/09 at 16:10:45

The seat is an after market prettied up thang made for a V-Star. I got it brand new, but out of a bike bone yard, for $70.00. Could have gotten a plain onethere for $50.00. Price tag was still on the bottom - $175.00. It makes 600+ mile days almost bearable, if you keep it down to around 60 mph.

I'm getting ready to take away the back seat. Then I can lower the front seat about three inches and get it back down to about stock height. It sits just a little too high for my comfort when fully loaded and stopped at a stoplight.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:32:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Fuel Line Size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.