Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fist Bike Wisdom Needed (Read 201 times)
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Fist Bike Wisdom Needed
12/05/09 at 13:51:40

Hi all,

I just got my first bike about 2 months ago.  Its a 2002 ls650 and was completely stock with under 700 miles.  I have been reading this forum since then and all I can say is wow! What a great resource.   So far I have debadged the bike, redone the seat and installed a super brace. I have sitting in my living room a supertrapp, header wrap and lacer jet set.  I also have plans to remove the airbox and replace it with a cone.  The bike has the standard  backfire issue. I hope to take care of that when I rejet and trim the spacer.  
     I have read everything on the forum about these mods and have a Clymer in hand.  This is my first bike however and I was wondering if there were any words of wisdom or caution before I begin.  I know there are some really skilled people on this forum so any advise is welcome.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: Fist Bike Wisdom Needed
Reply #1 - 12/05/09 at 14:22:01

I am not skilled but I have avidly read this forum for a year now.  As a new rider these are the first items that I would want to know:

Since the carb is factory-adjusted lean for emissions requirements, the idle mix screw is a quick and easy adjustment that you should make first to lessen backfire.  It is behind the brass plug.  Shield the starter area from brass shavings (maybe a little obsessive), then drill a hole in the plug, it is only about 3/16" deep so don't scratch the adjustment screw underneath.  Screw in a drywall screw firmly, and grab ahold with a vicegrip and pull out the brass plug.  Usually factory set is about 1.5 turns CCW(I think) and it turns easily (if yours doesn't then re-evaluate!)  Mine is adjusted to about 2.5 turns CCW and backfire is now rare for me, only happens sometimes on a snap-closed throttle.

Then you can proceed with the other tweaks for performance or whatever but take time to learn what "normal" sounds like.

700 miles eh, 600 was supposed to be the first service interval with valve check, I wonder if that happened years ago.  I hope you already changed the oil.  Don't get the oil filter backwards, that can be pretty dramatic.  

Note your tires are pretty old if original - check for cracking and change them anyway.  Although I haven't taken my own advice yet.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/05/09 at 15:22:36

Turn it in & close it, count the turns. Close it very, very gently, as the needle is soft & will deform if closed tight. Then count back out. That way, you can always put it back to where it was.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/05/09 at 15:58:33

Don't get lazy, do your mods one at a time.  That way if it don't work you know what to fix.  2 you learn what that mod does by itself.  And if it needs a little adjustment you can do it easier than if you've done a lot of mod's and they all have different effect.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 12/05/09 at 16:09:48

there is only one rule i livie and ride by. YOU ARE INVISIBLE, no matter how many lights or reflective gear you have you will still not be seen by the majority of cage's out there. if i had a nickle for every time iv'e heard  "i had my signal on and they still hit me" i'de be rich.

remember  YOU ARE INVISIBLE.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 12/05/09 at 16:39:58

Can't really add much to what has already been said, except to keep that Clymer's open near you through out every mod and be sure to look in the tech section of this site for the thread that speaks of the Clymer inaccuracies.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/05/09 at 19:53:08

heres MY "fist" bike wisdom. I dont care how big of a FIST it can make, youd be better off not hitting anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 12/06/09 at 06:51:14

And don't downshift too fast--when you hit a lower gear going too fast, it likes to want to grab and try to throw you over the handlebars. Loss of control is no fun when going 40 mph. Also, I have become a VERY defensive driver. I find myself looking both ways at almost every intersection. Like Sluggo said, we are invisible. Be cautious, but have fun.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/06/09 at 09:34:12

Take the safety class, if youre a first time rider.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 12/06/09 at 09:44:20

Be careful in those safety classes people have broken arms and legs listening to the instructor on how to ride their way.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 12/06/09 at 12:18:58

Use the front brake,... it has most of the stopping power...
Read up, and learn how to use counter-steering...

Keep the rubberside down....
Welcome... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 12/06/09 at 13:10:39

Theres 4 ways to steer a motorcycle,Counter steering is the only one I don't use.Look up four ways to steer a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 12/06/09 at 13:32:59

welcome! you ARE invisible and naked, so be careful! layin it down @ 40 does suck!

play with it, make it yours, and if you like it, it doesn't look bad!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/06/09 at 14:17:19

The final part of the steering equation we teach at the Freddie Spencer High Performance Riding School involves application of the brake and throttle. We teach that the most important aspect of each corner is the entrance, dubbed Zone 1 in the school. Brake and throttle usage in Zone 1 are essential to successfully navigating the rest of the corner. Both brake and throttle input have a tremendous affect on how the motorcycle steers when used in conjunction with the other methods I've described above.

This is quite an eye opener.

Braking for a corner loads the front tire, compresses the front suspension and tightens rake and trail, allowing the motorcycle to steer more quickly. Trail braking well past the turn-in point allows the rider to continue slowing the bike and help it steer, adjusting the line if need be while maintaining the load factor on the front tire. The throttle is used in much the same way; rolling it off and squeezing the brake will cause the motorcycle's line to tighten, cracking the throttle off idle after the brakes are released arrests the bike's lean angle and helps hold the desired line.

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #14 - 12/07/09 at 01:00:49

Thank you all for the fast replies and good advice.  I took a motorcycle training class before I bought the bike and I think it was indispensable as a first time rider.  The different types of steering was an interesting read and I will have to play around with how I am controlling the bike.

I am just finishing up with final exams and will have three weeks to play. I will post some pics once the bike starts looking less stock.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:54:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fist Bike Wisdom Needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.