Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ignition coil (Read 177 times)
pitbullcustoms

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ignition coil
12/05/09 at 11:06:42

ok i have the bike apart and i wanted to upgrade my ignition wire... but since i cant is there a coil that is a upgrade ?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: ignition coil
Reply #1 - 12/05/09 at 18:02:20

What do you mean by "upgrade" the ignition wire? And what is the desired result of said "upgrade?"

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
pitbullcustoms

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/06/09 at 17:52:36

a bigger wire like an 8MM wire.... for better spark and better fuel burn why else would u upgrade your coil and wire?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/06/09 at 18:53:24

The engine was designed to operate in its FACTORY STOCK configuration, efficiently with the spark plug wire and coil provided.  Furthermore, you cannot always substitute an aftermarket coil for a factory one, when dealing with a solid state ignition system.  For example, a Crane XR700 solid state ignition system will malfunction if you use an Accel Super coil with it, even if you use the correct value ballast resistor.  It has to do with the different saturation rates of various coils, and the  different resistance requirements of various coils.  In the days of breaker point, non-solid state ignition systems you could get away with this if you matched the resistance specs from one coil to the next, but its not so simple with todays ignition systems' electronics and their matched components.

« Last Edit: 12/06/09 at 21:00:52 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 12/06/09 at 19:23:35

As long as the spark is strong enough to light the fire, the fuel burn will be the same. The spark only ignites the fuel mixture. After that, the flame propagates through the combustion chamber just the same. To use a crude example, does a forest fire burn any differently when ignited by a carelessly tossed cigarette butt than it does when lit by lightning?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/06/09 at 19:45:34

Well PB, I see you've met the 'if god wanted me to fly he would've gave me wings' guys.

There was only one guy (in last couple of years) that ever ventured into designing his own CDI.  I don't we've heard from him since.
So he either blew up or is a blue streak last reported going thru texas.

The savage ignition sparks every revolution. Is voltage sensitive.  And we can used either a hot plug or stock.  Timing is accomplished by putting it together, no adjustment.

There are a few hot rodders here looking for light in this obiss.  We will help in any way we can.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 12/08/09 at 06:26:38

Just a note to add, the sparkplug wire is molded into the coil.  Don't pull it apart.  

Only replace-able part is the resistor cap on the end.  (big plastic thingy the goes on the sparkplug)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 17:43:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ignition coil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.