rejet required??? (Read 351 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: rejet required???
Reply #15 - 12/01/09 at 20:38:55

But you can't get all the power back at altitude.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #16 - 12/01/09 at 21:56:44

Charon wrote on 12/01/09 at 20:34:17:
The CV carburetor, sometimes called a "Constant Velocity", or "Constant Vacuum", or in Brit-speak a "Constant Depression" carburetor, cannot really correct for air density. That is because it controls air flow (with the slide) and fuel flow (with the needle),  and the two are rigidly fastened together.

Ah, I think I got it.  I was thinking the throttle butterfly was the bottleneck on airflow, and the slide/diaphragm assembly was there to sort of "measure" airflow and adjust needle height accordingly.  But that doesn't fully make sense because the butterfly is downstream of the slide, making it the bottleneck on air/fuel vapor, not just air.  Plus I'm neglecting the venturi effect of the slide on the needle jet.. bleh, maybe one day I'll fully get it.  I like the Lancer VM carb  Cheesy

Quote:
Unfortunately, no matter what you do to the airbox, you are going to lose somewhere around 3% of the power for every thousand feet above sea level. That's even with a perfect mixture, because air density drops about 3% per thousand feet. The amount of power the engine produces is almost a direct function of the amount of air it burns. The only way to get the power back at altitude is a supercharger of some sort.

I still think reducing the intake restrictions will help at high altitude.  The pressure drop, thus loss of density from one side of the filter to the other has the same effect as a change in elevation.  Of course the effect changes dynamically with airflow.. drag caused by the intake tract/filter etc. is negligible at idle but goes up exponentially with engine speed.  This can be remedied with a turbo or supercharger like you mention, or to a lesser degree an intercooler or simply uncorking the airbox.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 12/02/09 at 06:07:06

The topic of improving airflow by making changes to the intake system has arisen before. However, I have seen no documentation on this forum of any measurable effects. One or two people have posted dyno charts, some of which have vanished. As far as I know, no one actually posted a dyno run of, say, a stock bike followed by a dyno run on the exact same bike with the air filter removed. Or for that matter, with the entire airbox removed. At least one of the posted dyno runs did not have the exhaust gas analyzer connected, so it was impossible to see whether the mixture changed with engine RPM, an effect I would expect if there is airflow restriction. Some of the posted runs have had incorrect RPM measurements, which have led to incorrect torque and/or horsepower measurements. In short, all we seem to have are "seat of the pants" measurements, and we all are susceptible to the placebo effect. If it's noisier, it must be more powerful.

By the way, unless the high-altitude airbox openings are reversible, the leaned high-altitude mixture will remain to plague the engine on the return to low altitude. Airplane carburetors have a pilot-operated mixture control, which changes gasoline flow to compensate for air density (altitude) changes. If I remember correctly, my old Trail 90 had a carburetor with an altitude control on it - a two position control for above or below 6000 feet. It made no difference that I could tell, but I never had the chance to take it over 6000 feet.

As a matter of interest, it seems to me it would be possible to convert a CV carburetor to non-CV operation. Block the air passage from the venturi to the top of the diaphragm, open the top to atmosphere, figure out a way to connect the throttle control to the slide, and block the butterfly wide open. Especially at first, I think I would want to remember carefully where the kill switch is.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 12/02/09 at 07:06:57

Holy smokes! You guys know WAY more than I do.

I took the bike out last night (before the snow starting flying!) and turned the air mix screw incrementally out to 2 1/2 turns. Guess what? It quit backfiring on decel!!!
I only managed to ride her for about 20 minutes but it seemed to work. It still pops/gurgles/rumbles if I leave it in gear and roll up to a stop but it doesn't backfire when shifting up or when the throttle is shut down fast.
One thing I did notice is that when I'm at idle and I rev the engine and shut the throttle down quick I get a pretty blue flame shooting out the back of the pipe...is that normal?

From what I understand in reading Charon and Boule'tard's comments is that going back and forth in altittude is going to always be a problem (and I'm by no means an expert!). That's why I was curious about the DAJ. From what I've read, it will smooth out any variances in a lean running condition by filling in the lag between the various overlaps in jetting. Apparently snowmobilers swear by it.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 12/02/09 at 07:39:12

Agreed.. to get back to an optimal mixture as you return to a low altitude, it would be necessary to re-cork the airbox to match your jetting.  This has been thought of and little adjustable airbox doors have been invented.

I would not take any stock in dyno runs where the only change was airbox on/airbox off..  you have to re-balance both the airbox and jetting.  The "airbox off" run could easily yield less power because now the mixture is too lean, and without the EGA connected, who knows which side of optimal the mixture is on?  The point was that you can compensate for high altitude by making the airbox less restrictive, keeping the mixture more or less the same as you had at low altitude.  

Bubba, congratulations on getting your bike running right.  Mine has a little burble-pop on deceleration too.  Think of that and a little flamethrowing as not bugs but features Cool

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 12/02/09 at 07:57:43

With no attempt to "flame" you, I still think that some testing needs to be done on the dyno. My thought is that the dyno, using the EGA, can tell us whether the airbox is restrictive in the first place. If the airbox proves to be restrictive, then changes may help. If it turns out to be well-designed and non-restrictive in the first place, improvement from that end may be difficult.

Few of us have the financial resources for unlimited experimenting. If one of us does, I think it might be interesting to put the dyno on a truck, haul the bike and the dyno to high altitude, and see just what happens. When bike and car magazines publish dyno tests, they make their measurements in whatever ambient conditions exist at the time, then apply standard atmospheric corrections to correct the readings to sea level standard temperature and pressure. Those corrections are usually also applied to drag strip testing as well.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #21 - 12/02/09 at 08:00:35

Maybe you guys need something like this: http://www.thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm
Lancer mentions it as an optional component of his performance carb kit.
EDIT: I see Boule'tard beat me to the punch.

Quote:
As a matter of interest, it seems to me it would be possible to convert a CV carburetor to non-CV operation. Block the air passage from the venturi to the top of the diaphragm, open the top to atmosphere, figure out a way to connect the throttle control to the slide, and block the butterfly wide open. Especially at first, I think I would want to remember carefully where the kill switch is.

That's pretty much creating a ghetto VM carb.  I say ghetto because I've read that the angled bottom of the slide on a VM is actually an important detail (for off-idle mix I believe).  Also, doesn't the CV slide not fully block the throat?  That would make it hard to idle.   Shocked

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #22 - 12/02/09 at 08:27:47

Charon wrote on 12/02/09 at 07:57:43:
With no attempt to "flame" you, I still think that some testing needs to be done on the dyno.

Oh no offense taken at all, and I appreciate your thoughts.

Agreed that the placebo effect is going to be there when you get done working on your bike, expect an improvement, and really want it.  Race pipes are the worst for that.. I'm guilty of thinking my dirt bike was faster when the exhaust/jetting configuration was way off.. but it was LOUDER dammit!

One way to test power output cheaply is to find two flat sections at different altitudes, and do timed 40 to 60mph roll-ons.  That way the modder can't fool himself.  Someone should try that, Bubba  Wink

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 12/02/09 at 08:39:09

I may have to do that little experiment...next spring. Right now we have 4 inches of snow down here at 5280, up about 5000 more feet there's going to be snow till spring... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:22:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rejet required???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.