paintin hot stuff!! (Read 299 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
paintin hot stuff!!
11/25/09 at 21:40:37

wasn't sure what to search for so here's the question!

my friend just gave me a can and a half of high heat auto paint, it's black SHOCKING right?

i want to paint maybe the tranny, oil cover, pretty much the bottom half of the engine...no chrome. what would the prep for that be? i don't want to paint the muffler, as i heard u have to cure it...that's cuz it's chrome right?

i also wanna either remove the square things on top of the engine that block the spark plug, or drill holes in them lol what do they do again?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: paintin hot stuff!!
Reply #1 - 11/25/09 at 22:16:06

Scuff it,.. then paint it...  400 grit sandpaper... or steel wool ... the side cases are clear-coated...

The square things?,... their job is to block access to the plug, and make things difficult...  
but don't throw them away!....  
turn them upside down and nail'em to your shop wall...  you can store gum and paper clips in them... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 11/26/09 at 00:20:56

ahahhahahahhaa serowbot, i have a feeling u and i are somehow related!!!

then i am totally gonna paint a bunch of stuff, and maybe make some new paper clip holders!! ahahahaha

i bought a whole bag of steel wool to work on my tank, but used the drill and wire wheel instead....now i have an excuse to bust it out!!!  Cheesy

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/26/09 at 00:55:44

don't forget to wipe it down with alcohol and lint free cloth/shop towel to remove all dust and stuff from the mechanical removal of old paint, clear coat, etc, and it will also remove any left over oil and general crud; this will help the new paint to stick better.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 11/26/09 at 09:04:51

yes sir! i do have a little bit of oil and crud on there =] the dirty look works way too well for me! lol

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/26/09 at 13:55:02

OK make sure its not exhaust hi temp ... there is 2 kinds ... engine stuff that takes up to 500 and exhaust that works to 12-1300.
The problem is, if you paint it with exhaust paint, it will need to get to near 7-800 degree to cook and without that it will be too soft and sorta come off very easily.

In a way the best way to paint it is with it hot. I would paint it when its cold. Then get the thing refitted and then start it up and get it nice and hot. There is bound to be spots where its got chips and nicks from you re fitting stuff back on and where you got gas or oil etc ... then paint hose spots and others when its still running. I did an exhaust on my xs that way. Made it a beautiful job.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 11/26/09 at 22:27:59

it's called hot paint by plasi-kote, says it resists heat up to 1500degrees...

it says to cure it to bake it @ 650 degrees for one hour or run the engine for an hour.....how hot does the bottom of the engine get?

so i clean it, scuff it with steel wool, wipe it with acetone or alcohol, spray it, then ride for about an hour will it be ok? or does she not get hot enough to cure it?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/27/09 at 10:49:27

If its gets over 300 degrees you're in trouble.
So that is exhaust only, not engine. You're gonna have to buy engine paint.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/27/09 at 11:11:31

I used Krylon satin black on my engine caes & a black wrinkle paint on the cyl. & head. It seems to be holding up fine.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 11/27/09 at 12:00:04

well, what i did was scratch the crap outta it with steel wool, degrease, then wiped it with alcohol, sprayed it, then ran her for about an hour, my foot wiped away a little so i touched it up and i'm letting it cool with the touch up.

it looked like it was holding except where my foot rubbed. BUT all the other spots looked pretty good. so hopefully it stays, if not then i'll get some bbq paint.

i'd hate for it to drip and look really nasty  Grin

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/27/09 at 19:24:49

Rocco wrote on 11/27/09 at 12:00:04:
well, what i did was scratch the crap outta it with steel wool, degrease, then wiped it with alcohol, sprayed it, then ran her for about an hour, my foot wiped away a little so i touched it up and i'm letting it cool with the touch up.

it looked like it was holding except where my foot rubbed. BUT all the other spots looked pretty good. so hopefully it stays, if not then i'll get some bbq paint.

i'd hate for it to drip and look really nasty  Grin

Bad idea painting it while it is hot. There should instructions on how to cure that paint. Usually you idle the bike for 10mins then let it cool for 30, idle for about 10 or 20 mins and cool it again. Then idle again. Instructions should be on the can.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 11/27/09 at 20:48:52

it says to paint and then let bake @ 650 degrees for an hour lol i don't think the bike gets that hot!!

it looks good but i can rub it off, so i'm sure my shoes will take off most of it....but i def want to go over it again with bbq paint or something.....

maybe between work and karate i can take off the tank, clean the petcock screen and take off the cylinder head covers and paint em, maybe drill some holes through em....

are they hard 2 come off?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/30/09 at 12:51:19

putting better paint over non adhering paint is only going to let both of those coats peel off.
Its best to paint the lower temp engine paint on the metal directly.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/30/09 at 20:54:50

Thers nothing wrong with walking into an auto paint supply house & asking a salesman what kind of paint would be likely to stick to an aluminum engine. Aluminum requires a different primer, or Did, 25+ years ago, when I was doing bodywork. It was greenish, IIRC, pretty odd looking stuff..Lots of progress in paints tho, so maybe now its different.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 11/30/09 at 22:09:58

yeah i'm removing the crappy paint now, and i'm not sure if the paint is gonna stick to the head covers.....will it if i scratch it up alot?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › paintin hot stuff!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.