Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Annoying rattle inside exhaust header / muffler (Read 104 times)
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Annoying rattle inside exhaust header / muffler
11/25/09 at 11:44:26

So I put the stock muffler back on as the SuperTrapp was just too noisy for the neighborhood and now there's an annoying rattle / buzz inside either the header pipe or stock muffler.  Sounds like a loose baffle maybe.  I checked there's no metal-to-metal contact against the frame or heat shield outside.  Any similar experiences or ideas?  Maybe all those backfires just blew the double-wall loose inside the header  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Annoying rattle inside exhaust header / muffle
Reply #1 - 11/25/09 at 11:48:00

I can roll my Supertrapp past a hospital with 14 baffles installed. Its the throttle that makes it loud. Or maybe too many baffles? Man, Id rather take a coffee can & stuff it with steel wool & hang it on my Trapp coming & going that ditch the Trapp. Take it off when you get away & put it back on coming in, if youre that nice of a neighbor. Also, watch the gas, just roll along nice & easy, its not that loud. Maybe that will solve the rattle, too!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/25/09 at 14:15:02

Did you try the fiberglass in the supertrapp?
I haven't cause I'm happy with just disks.
in my neighborhood, HD's roll by trying to keep their wake the dead bikes down to a roar.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/26/09 at 01:34:04

Mine does the same thing. Weird rattle for which at first I though it was loose timing chain. But it stops rattling when I press the exhaust pipe with my foot. Burns through the shoe, but stops the rattle  Cheesy

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #4 - 11/27/09 at 10:18:54

OK, problem solve-ed, as Inspector Clouseau would say.  I couldn't stand the annoying rattle that resonated at certain rpm's so tore the OEM muffler off again.  Turns out my wild hunch the exhaust header inner tube was loose proved correct.  How, you say?  The inner tube is located at the muffler end by a split sleeve spacer.  When I first installed the SuperTrapp I had to cut 3/4 inches off the spacer through a spot weld to slide it up far enough so the mounting bolt holes lined up.  Now back to the OEM muffler and the shortened spacer vibrated loose causing all the rattle.   Just have to cut back to 6 discs in the Trapp to keep the neighbors calm.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/27/09 at 12:30:36

Just have to cut back to 6 discs in the Trapp to keep the neighbors calm.

Bummer.. If you rejetted for the TRapp, youll need to go back to smaller jets,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:13:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Annoying rattle inside exhaust header / muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.