Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tips for loosening the oil drain plug? (Read 283 times)
djwhite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tips for loosening the oil drain plug?
11/24/09 at 19:27:07

I haven't had my Savage long enough to quite need an oil change yet, but I was doing some work on it and thought I'd change the oil while I was at it.  When I tried to loosen the drain plug, I couldn't loosen it to save my life.  It's too restricted an area, it looks like, to get any kind of power tools in there, even though I don't like doing that.  I used an open face wrench and even hit the wrench with a hammer to try an loosen it.  All I accomplished was making marks on the drain plug that look like it would strip if I kept it up.

Any tips on loosening this?  I can't believe it would be a reverse thread plug.  I would take it to the mechanic who last changed the oil, and make him loosen it (and throw in a few choice words), but I bought this bike a good ways away from where I live, so that's not an option for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: tips for loosening the oil drain plug?
Reply #1 - 11/24/09 at 19:55:54

It's either a 14mm or a 17mm wrench
Use a combo wrench, one open one closed, put the closed end on the plug open end towards the front wheel high up as you can go.
take another 16mm or 17mm or bigger.
put the closed end over the bottom leg of the open end wrench to double the length.

push down.  best done with good tools.  I haven't broke any but you never know.

WWW   IP Logged
djwhite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/24/09 at 20:27:41

Thanks for the reply.  I used the longest 14mm that would fit under the bike, but to no avail.  I'll see if I can do anything to increase clearance under the bike.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/24/09 at 21:22:41

Quote:
put the closed end over the bottom leg of the open end wrench to double the length.
push down.  best done with good tools.  I haven't broke any but you never know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this safe ?? What if it broke, and you busted your knukles, or worse yet, a pc of the wrench went into your eyball, while you weren't wearing your saftey glasses ? etc etc etc Shocked

Just kidding, Grin its an old trick of the trade,....we called it a "cheeter"
Its one of the few times when you can love a "cheeter" Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/24/09 at 21:33:50

Be careful doing that. The cheater can easily slip to the side & seriously scrape some knuckles. I do it, but Ive given blood from it. Its easier to put the wrench, carefully & completely on the drain plug & smack down on it with something hard & heavy. Then, dont tighten it like its what holds the bike together.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/24/09 at 22:28:05

make grunty noises,...  Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 11/25/09 at 05:07:42

Sometimes the hex happens to line up so the cheeter trick won't work.  Then you have to use the brass bump hammer trick.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42000

I'm glad I bought mine years and years ago before brass became a semi-precious metal !!!

The real solution is not to tighten the durn thing down so much next time.  It has a crushable aluminum washer and just needs to be clinched down tight enough to give just a little bit on the first little grunt.  Washer "lasts" longer that way.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 11/25/09 at 05:18:40

I had this problem once and had to use visegrips and a hammer.  You will likely have to replace the bolt.  Then like Justin said, don't tighten it like it's holding the bike together.  You also need to be sure there is a good soft metal washer on the bolt.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/25/09 at 13:36:28

There really should never be a need to use a vicegrips on any bolt, plug, etc,.....unless someone else beat you to it. I myself will never buy a nice MC that has been vice gripped. There is a tool for everything,.....and if there ain't, you can make one ! If a straight box wrench won't go on it, and offset one will. I have several sae combo box end wrenches that I had to heat and bend to get into tight places on automotive. And if I need one, I will not hesitate to heat up a perfectly good metric box wrench to work on my motorcycle. But I don't remember having trouble w/ the drain plug on the s40.

Now, being as I said it, I'm sure that someone will find a way for it to be unsafe to heat a wrench and bend it, but I really don't care.

serenity3743 wrote on 11/25/09 at 05:18:40:
I had this problem once and had to use visegrips and a hammer.  You will likely have to replace the bolt.  Then like Justin said, don't tighten it like it's holding the bike together.  You also need to be sure there is a good soft metal washer on the bolt.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #9 - 11/25/09 at 13:45:40

The bolt head had already been boogered up and rounded off by somebody before me.  So I just had to finish what they improperly started.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #10 - 11/25/09 at 17:27:47

Use a closed wrench and tap it with a rubber mallet. This way you save your knuckles and save the kids in the daycare next door the joy of learning new words.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 11/27/09 at 20:56:07

get a long pipe with a hole drilled through it and use it like was said with 2 wrenches.....a breaker bar!!

i taught my girl how to change oil on her 2 year old colbalt...the dealer tightens everything like crazy! i looked silly for a second as the bolt would NOT come loose! so i said "baby look over there" she did and i heel palmed the wrench and boom....that bolt was spinnin freely!!!

who knew training for a black belt helped with wrenching?  Wink

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/28/09 at 09:06:32

Lefty loosey, righty tighty.  Wear a rubber glove, the hot oil will hurt less.
If you are not doing it with the oil hot, you are not doing it right.
The oil will pour across your hand, wear a glove and have a paper towel in the other hand.

Phelonius Wink

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/28/09 at 09:34:29

Oil doesnt run on my hands. Once it out far enough, I wrap a long string around it 2 times & pull. It spins the plug out for me. Gotta hold both ends & keep it tight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/28/09 at 10:40:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/28/09 at 09:34:29:
Oil doesnt run on my hands. Once it out far enough, I wrap a long string around it 2 times & pull. It spins the plug out for me. Gotta hold both ends & keep it tight.

Just shows that you are a techy.

Phelonius Grin

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:25:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tips for loosening the oil drain plug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.