Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What next wont start .... help (Read 194 times)
Stones

Married to a Texan

United Kingdom
What next wont start .... help
11/23/09 at 11:12:17

Been doing quite a bit of messing of recent new bars mini indicators removed seat rails fitting braided hose new pads side number plate etc etc  Smiley

Then other day noticed bike wouldnt fire then discovered battery was dry and scrap, so no prob banged a new battery in today.

Doh still wont start, it turns over fine ?

Back to the drawing board i guess  Undecided

« Last Edit: 11/24/09 at 04:13:50 by Stones »  

ALLIANCE MEMBER
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: What next
Reply #1 - 11/23/09 at 17:51:53

Maybe the kickstand safety switch, if it's down then no start, clutch lever  safety switch or my favorite, the red off/on switch on the right handle bar.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What next wont start .... help
Reply #2 - 11/24/09 at 07:42:26

Gotta have gas, air and fire.

Fire easy to check, pull the plug or use a spare, turn it over with spark plug grounded on head, look at the spark.  since you've might not seen it before (yes, I'm gonna go check mine) can't tell you what it's supposed to look like other than strong, and blue.   Huh

Air, clean air filter? not wet? replace or remove for test start.

Gas, slosh, slosh, dribble dribble.  It's not a pumper so you can't twist the grip and hear squirt squirt.  Make sure you got gas in the tank, no older than a month, newer the better.  open the drain in the bottom of the carb.  you should get a cup out if the bowl was full.  turn to prime should flow good (get a bigger cup).

Do you got the smell of gas coming out the tailpipe?  might be flooded.

and you could just replace your plug.  occassionally, new plugs are bad to start with.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/24/09 at 08:16:19

I know that once you get an engine flooded in cold wet weather, it can be hard to get cleared out. If you pull the plug, I would strike a lighter at the spark plug hole, and if does a big PHOOF !!!, like tries to bite your fingers, then you know it was flooded, and it should be cleared out enough to start. And if it was flooded bigtime, you could have thinned the oil a little too.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/24/09 at 08:55:02

As a teenager, I lit a match at an open sparkplug hole to clear out a flooded engine.  The small blast that came out of the cylinder ignited a fire on the engine which spread so fast that it destroyed the lawnmower. NEVER do this trick on a flooded engine with a closely attached gas tank.  You cannot be sure if there is residual dried gas or fumes that the blast might ignite.  Ask your local fire department about that dangerous little trick.  They know all about the consequences.  If you suspect your engine is flooded and want to dry it out, remove the sparkplug and let it sit for at least an hour.  

A safe, easy way to check for spark is to attach a timing lite to the plug wire and crank the engine.  The lite will flash if there is a spark.  However, it will also flash even if the spark is weak, so although it does not indicate a spark sufficient to ignite the fuel mixture, it does indicate that the plug is receiving voltage,  This is useful in backtracking lack of spark to its origin, without removing the plug.

« Last Edit: 11/24/09 at 10:00:26 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/24/09 at 09:57:51

Not sure if it will help, but... check the fuses... there's two, under right side of seat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/24/09 at 17:35:56

Gort,
Seems like you like to hammer on me every chance you get !
I guess being an oldtimer, I falsely assume that most others have a bit of common sense when it comes to saftey. But then, anyone that would take all the caps off a battery to charge it, shouldn't be talking saftey, at least not to me anyway !

Arthur wrote on 11/24/09 at 08:55:02:
As a teenager, I lit a match at an open sparkplug hole to clear out a flooded engine.  The small blast that came out of the cylinder ignited a fire on the engine which spread so fast that it destroyed the lawnmower. NEVER do this trick on a flooded engine with a closely attached gas tank.  You cannot be sure if there is residual dried gas or fumes that the blast might ignite.  Ask your local fire department about that dangerous little trick.  They know all about the consequences.  If you suspect your engine is flooded and want to dry it out, remove the sparkplug and let it sit for at least an hour.  

A safe, easy way to check for spark is to attach a timing lite to the plug wire and crank the engine.  The lite will flash if there is a spark.  However, it will also flash even if the spark is weak, so although it does not indicate a spark sufficient to ignite the fuel mixture, it does indicate that the plug is receiving voltage,  This is useful in backtracking lack of spark to its origin, without removing the plug.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/24/09 at 18:00:08

Routy wrote on 11/24/09 at 17:35:56:
Gort,
Seems like you like to hammer on me every chance you get !
I guess being an oldtimer, I falsely assume that most others have a bit of common sense when it comes to saftey. But then, anyone that would take all the caps off a battery to charge it, shouldn't be talking saftey, at least not to me anyway !

Arthur wrote on 11/24/09 at 08:55:02:

Since you decided to address me personally, I will respond.  No one is "hammering" you. I gave a different opinion.  I did it politely and did not address you.  I gave reasons to support my opinion, and suggested that the reader consult his fire department for their qualified opinion, which takes one phone call.

You gave unsafe advice.  Suggesting that one use "common sense" while he ignites raw fuel near a gas tank with a lighter, shows an utter lack of any sense at all.  Talk to your fire department and describe what you want to do, and ask them their opinion.   Warnings about this dangerous trick have been given for many years, and for good reason.

Do not assume that because someone disagrees with your post and presents another opinion, he is attacking you.  In the past you have reacted badly to anyone who disagrees with you.  You did it in the battery cap posts, in the post about the fuel starvation problem, and now here.  This is a free and open forum and many opinions are given when members ask advice.  If you disagree with an opinion, say why without the sarcasm, otherwise things get ugly.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/24/09 at 20:35:57

I reacted badly on the fuel starvation thread ? More hammering ?
It takes a real jerk to purposely counterdict every post a guy makes !
Or is it that you just don't like a new kid on the block,........ that just mite be smarter than you when it comes to using common sense, especially when it come to figuring out why an engine won't run.
Like you, we probably all did stupid things when we were teenagers,.....its just that most of us grew up.

Rich
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/24/09 at 20:59:32

Routy wrote on 11/24/09 at 20:35:57:
I reacted badly on the fuel starvation thread ? More hammering ?
It takes a real jerk to purposely counterdict every post a guy makes !
Or is it that you just don't like a new kid on the block,........ that just mite be smarter than you when it comes to using common sense, especially when it come to figuring out why an engine won't run.
Like you, we probably all did stupid things when we were teenagers,.....its just that most of us grew up.

I have not countered every post you've made, and it is you who singled me out by name in this thread because I offered a polite opinion different from yours.

You just can't accept that someone else may have another opinion, can you?  If someone disagrees with something you post and offers another opinion, he is a jerk?  

You suggested a person should light a lighter near an open sparkplug hole potentially filled with gasoline, sitting under a fuel tank and its hoses.  I offered another opinion.  Why don't you call your local fire department and ask them what they think of the wisdom of doing such a dangerous thing?  If they tell you not to do it, are they also Jerks?

You really should stop attacking those with an opinion different from yours.   If you disagree with their opinion, state why.  Calling them jerks and stating "common sense" as your reasons just makes you look ridiculous.  You've yet to state why its safe to ignite a lighter near an open sparkplug hole potentially flooded with gasoline, under a fuel tank and hoses.  How does your "common sense" make it safe?  How does calling me a "Jerk", explain why my opinion is wrong?

Let me guess. You will respond with more sarcasm and insult, never answering the question, just like always.  You're the kind of fellow who thinks if he shouts and curses loud enough, he proves himself correct.

This forum is about offering opinions in answer to member's questions, not just your opinion. Try to keep that in mind.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What next wont start .... help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.