Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
% power loss, chain verses belt (Read 399 times)
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: % power loss, chain verses belt
Reply #30 - 11/24/09 at 20:42:36

I recall a conversation similar to this that turned into an argument recently. Like so many do, someone knowing something without knowing why. Myself, thinking that a shaft would be the most efficient, and my friend knowing it was the most inefficient, couldnt explain why. He at the time said, as I have since then thought, that chain was more efficient. Riding our bikes with chains and belts, with equal gear ratios, i think a lot of us can concede the fact that chains transfer energy a lot quicker, and sometimes with unforgiving consistency.
Still dont understand the shaft drive idea, especially lifting the back of the wheel up.
Need a diagram for that.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #31 - 11/24/09 at 20:56:09

I once read some engineering specs about why it was this way ... cant remember possibly due to uneven stretching etc ...

When new, Chain is almost 98%, belt is ~96%  and shaft is ~90% or less.
The chain as it ages, drops below belt quite slowly ... through 1/2 its life chain is par or better than belt, but past the 95% it drops rapidly to as poor as 75 before people replace it.
Belt OTOH, is 96 when new and super stiff and slippery with oil from manufacturing, then it slowly climbs with a few 100-1000 miles to a 97 or so and stays there for a long time.
Shaft too first increases with break in, then stays there forever.
So Chain, belt, shaft when new, belt, shaft and chain when they are about to die and belt, chain and shaft @ the 1/2 way point of the chain's life.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 11/24/09 at 21:45:24

Soooo, when should I mod the Savage to a shaft? Im just so confeeewwwzed,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 11/25/09 at 10:27:31

If it were up to me, everything I own would have a belt. The bloody GS500 should have been sent with a belt from the factory ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:24:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › % power loss, chain verses belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.