Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
% power loss, chain verses belt (Read 399 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
% power loss, chain verses belt
11/20/09 at 07:58:36

Search? Nothing as always !

What is the % of power loss thru belt drive vs chain?

I used to be into "Bent Bikes", (hobby) even built many 2 wheel, several 3wheel, and one 2 person 4 wheel.
The derailler chain drives were (and still are I guess) the most efficient at 98%.
The internal geared 3-15 sp hubs were only 85%, a big loss regarding HPVs. Thats why chain drives still rule on 99%(?) of all bicycles.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: % power loss, chain verses belt
Reply #1 - 11/20/09 at 08:15:01

The belt is more efficent because it is lighter. I read this years ago. You have more options of changing your gearing with a chain drive but for overall effiencey belt drive is best.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/20/09 at 08:52:10

Yup,... friction and mass...

1. belt
2. chain
3. o-ring chain
4. shaft

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/20/09 at 09:14:59

I bet the HD style belt is more efficient than ours. Especially when ours are squeaking, because making the noise uses energy.

I always thot a chain was the #1 efficient,,, & belt was #2,, I guess Ill have to change that chapter in my book.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 11/20/09 at 09:32:42

Wait just a minute ! This forum is full of surprises today. I'm not much up on this stuff, but up untill these replies, I would have bet my last buck that chain is #1 in efficiency,.....and I'm not sure I wouldn't still bet it. I'd sure like to know how the belt being #1 was arrived at.

IMO, if a belt was more efficient, we would have seen them on bicycles (HPV) a long time ago,....especially the single speeds. Even a 1% difference make a big difference on HPV (human powered vehicles)

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/20/09 at 10:27:12

Check this out.. Im totally shocked

www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/download/2388

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 11/20/09 at 10:45:09

Now we know why the S40 is so fast

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/20/09 at 10:46:01

In the days before toothed belts, the belt tension had to be very high, and chains and gears could move more freely...
With toothed belts, belts can move freely and their lighter mass gives them an advantage... unless you over-tighten them...
Belts can't run through a deralier system on a bicycle, and so are limited to single speed or different gearing systems...
Stronger materials, like Kevlar, are letting belts get lighter and smaller and more efficient, but they still don't have good lateral flexibility needed to run through a deralier...
So, it's the inefficiency of the necessary internal gearing that makes belts impractical for bicycles...
Motorcycles don't have that problem...

I'm not quoting any particular source here,... just what I've read and heard... some would argue different, but it makes sense to me...
more so on motorcycles that bicycles though...

« Last Edit: 11/21/09 at 00:24:23 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/20/09 at 11:36:34

A while back, there was a move to go to infinitely variable transmissions.  These are the kind that use a v belt and pulleys that spread or squeeze together to change the diameters.  They didn't catch on because of the inherent losses.

There are a few bicycle transmissions vested in the technology, but they are expensive.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 11/20/09 at 11:48:03

Theres a few cars that have those transmissions in them.They seek the highest gear ratio they can and have full power when you put the petal to the metal.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/20/09 at 13:11:08

Thanks Justin, I won't argue w/ that.
When do ya get too old to learn something new ?
And come to find out, there are bicycles using belt drive, and sounds like we will see more in the near future.
It is the new light and very thin and flexable belts that create very little friction, that has changed all this.

But, I thought I had read someone here reporting a substancial higher top end speed after switching to chain. But that must have had to do w/ changing ratio at the same time,....I guess.
I'm liking my belt drive better all the time ! Smiley

Rich
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #11 - 11/20/09 at 13:47:09

Yeah, the chain conversion allows for highway speeds at lower RPMs because of the sprocket ratios, not because the chain is more efficient at transferring power, because it's not.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/20/09 at 14:32:44

Im not sure a derailer couldnt be built & a belt designed to run thru one, but tensioning the belt so it wouldnt slip would be quite a trick, but not impossible, IMO. Chains dont require near the tension.
Variable pulleys can give a CVT ( constant variable transmission,, generally is what thats about, Im sure I missed it some).

The weight, cost & complexity of a belt derailer & the difficulty ( IIRC, a chain has to be broken & put on using a master link, but its been a long time) of putting a belt on a bicycle makes the chain the first choice.
A belt that would fit on a bicycle would need to be pretty narrow.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/20/09 at 14:51:01

and toothed on both sides....

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #14 - 11/20/09 at 15:13:57

I don't understand how a shaft is not the more efficient. After all it applies the power directly without the stretch of belt or chain which robs power. A shaft does not have that problem. So maybe ya'll can explain that to me.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › % power loss, chain verses belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.