Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Real cheap performance increase. (Read 715 times)
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Re: Real cheap performance increase.
Reply #15 - 11/20/09 at 12:44:51

nicholas wrote on 11/20/09 at 06:51:53:
even a 500cc crotch rocket would "smoke" a savage--------

I would say a savage is probably the same as a 250cc sport bike!

Sounds like you need to wake that little thumper up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 11/20/09 at 16:22:09

Texas-1-lunger wrote on 11/20/09 at 12:44:51:
nicholas wrote on 11/20/09 at 06:51:53:
even a 500cc crotch rocket would "smoke" a savage--------

I would say a savage is probably the same as a 250cc sport bike!

Sounds like you need to wake that little thumper up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEPPP

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 11/20/09 at 21:01:41

Judging by magazine reports, the Savage/S40 has a top speed around 85 mph. The 2007 and earlier 250 Ninja was supposed to make just over 100 mph; the redesigned 2008 just under. The 500 Ninja is supposed to make around 120 mph, and when you get into the 600 cc 4-cylinder sportbikes the numbers range around 140. These, for stock motorcycles. According to the wiki for the 250 Ninja, it'll typically cost about $100 for each additional horsepower. Unless one is either class racing or bound and determined to increase power on whatever one has, it is almost always cheaper to just trade for a more powerful/faster bike.

By the way, weight has an almost negligible effect on top speed. It does affect acceleration and braking.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 11/21/09 at 05:47:50

Charon wrote on 11/20/09 at 21:01:41:
Judging by magazine reports, the Savage/S40 has a top speed around 85 mph. The 2007 and earlier 250 Ninja was supposed to make just over 100 mph; the redesigned 2008 just under. The 500 Ninja is supposed to make around 120 mph, and when you get into the 600 cc 4-cylinder sportbikes the numbers range around 140. These, for stock motorcycles. According to the wiki for the 250 Ninja, it'll typically cost about $100 for each additional horsepower. Unless one is either class racing or bound and determined to increase power on whatever one has, it is almost always cheaper to just trade for a more powerful/faster bike.

By the way, weight has an almost negligible effect on top speed. It does affect acceleration and braking.

That is the key, for sure.  If all someone wants is to go faster then the decision is easy; buy a go-fast bike.  But, if like most folks here, we do not want a different bike but do want to enhance the performance characteristics of the Savage/S40.  It is those characteristic that attracted us to this bike in the first place.  
Personally, it is the strong torque curve from idle to about 3/4 throttle that I like most.  A stock engine will run out of power at just beyond half throttle; thus the top speed of just 85 mph.  The stage 1 performance cam expands and raises the power range to idle-3/4 throttle and beyond.  
It's kind of the like the "before & after" photos of a persons health/strength before and after spending 6 months with a personal trainer.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 11/21/09 at 06:12:10

Lancer is talking stage 1 cam, I am speaking about the stage 2 cam after opening up the intake and exhaust tracks.

I can hit 65 in 3rd gear and hit 90+ in 4th gear ....  5th is still there if needed, but I haven't had a need for it except for cruising along in overdrive to save a bit on gas.

You don't have to have a sleepy Savage if you don't want to.

=======

Yes, it may be cheaper to buy a SV650 if you just want to go fast.  I've done that, but then I sold the awkward sitting crotch rocket and spent a moderate amount of money to "speed up" the much more comfortable big single.

Now I have a powerful, small light UNIQUE bike that continually surprises people.

I recommend the stage 2 cam instead of the stage 1 cam -- you get more bang for the bucks !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #20 - 11/21/09 at 19:18:10

Maybe less weight would make the S40/Savage seat more comfortable Cheesy On the other hand less padding on the rear may offset any gain. Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/21/09 at 23:44:18

More gas money & more MPG, too. Aww heck,, gotta buy new clothes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 11/22/09 at 06:58:21

ARGH........ TORQUE.......POWER     Cool

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #23 - 11/22/09 at 07:48:08

Lancer and Oldfeller, how reliable are your Savages's after all the mods? (cams carbs and such) I like long rides. Last week it was a 275 miler, the week before a 318 miler. What do all these mods do to reliability and longivity?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 11/22/09 at 07:55:33

So far so good, I only have a month on it so I can't speak long term.

A stage 2 cam runs like a stock Savage until you twist the wick, then the beast wakes up and roars.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #25 - 11/22/09 at 08:02:53

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/22/09 at 07:55:33:
So far so good, I only have a month on it so I can't speak long term.

A stage 2 cam runs like a stock Savage until you twist the wick, then the beast wakes up and roars.

We live too close. We're gonna have to get together.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 11/22/09 at 11:12:52

I ran the original Stage 1 cam for 4 years and 10,000 miles.  During that time I had at least 2 severely low oil situations.  The "silicone carbide" treated cylinder showed no signs of damage at all.  The original stock valve rockers did show significant wear and were replaced.  The cam lobes also showed some wear on the up-slope and peak.  In spite of this, engine performance seemed to be completely normal up to this last teardown.  I sent the camshaft back to Webcam and they renewed the cam lobe hardweld for a modest fee...during this fix I had them change the cam profile to the Stage 2 version.

With the Stage 1 cam, silicone carbide cylinder treatment, slight exhaust port opening, custom header/muffler, and performance carb, the engine ran great.  I could cruise easily at 75-80 mph and did so for hours on the highway.  My longest "day" trips were of about 300 miles.  Cruising in the 60-70 mph range was very easy and lazy feeling.  It would just rumble right along; no strain at all.  Even in 5th gear, slowing to near 30 mph only required an easy roll-on of the throttle to come right back up.  Of course, if you wanted to jump it, then dropping down to 3rd would lite the freaking fire and its "hang on for the ride" time.

I am kind of hard on my engine ... heavy right hand syndrome... so that is an important factor.  Even so, I believe that if I had not had the low oil situations that there would have been no damage to the rockers or cam lobes. If you are a normal rider and do not neglect your oil there is no reason to think that the life of a performance camshaft should not be any less than a stock cam...or perhaps last longer due to it being a Hardweld.   Durability and reliability should not be a concern at all for normal street riding.
The enjoyment of the ride on a bike with a performance camshaft is just plain  fun.   It cruises easily and when needed will get up and go with attitude.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 11/22/09 at 12:06:34

PM me and we'll get together.  I am off tomorrow and Tuesday and part of Friday.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 11/22/09 at 14:21:51

Im only 120 lbs and the bike has lost about 80 lbs from stock.

I live in the mountains and ride tight twisties all the time. A good fiend on his 100+ hp ZX6R cant keep up with me.

The savage will spin the back tire on 2nd gear shifts. Or exiting corners hard leaned over, partially due to crummy tires. It actually gets sideways really controllable.  This is with my Mikuni carb, full exhaust, and ported exhaust.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 11/22/09 at 15:35:30

Truckinduc wrote on 11/22/09 at 14:21:51:
Im only 120 lbs and the bike has lost about 80 lbs from stock.

I live in the mountains and ride tight twisties all the time. A good fiend on his 100+ hp ZX6R cant keep up with me.

The savage will spin the back tire on 2nd gear shifts. Or exiting corners hard leaned over, partially due to crummy tires. It actually gets sideways really controllable.  This is with my Mikuni carb, full exhaust, and ported exhaust.

YEEHAW !!   There's nothing like a handfull of good contolable torque to move you down the road and around those twisties in fine fashion and humble a few of the so-called hot bikes.

Dude, at 120 lbs your Savage hardly knows it's carrying anyone.  Are you thin, short or both ?  I used to weigh 120, but that has been quite some time; like a lifetime ago.   Grin  Come to think of it, when I got my first bike (Suzuki 150 2-stroke twin) back in '66, that is about what I weighed then.   Darn, that is a long time ago !     Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:29:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Real cheap performance increase.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.