Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Home made battery tender ? (Read 95 times)
Innuendo
YaBB Newbies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FL
Home made battery tender ?
11/18/09 at 08:06:51

Hey all... a while back u guys helped me with a battery issue..the Big Crank worked great for the after market radio drainage... but someone mentioned instead of getting the battery tender since I already have a charged to make the extensions from the battery.  What exactly do I have to do..? Sounds so stupid, but I'm learning, esp from this board.  I'm sick of taking off the seat to charge it, and I don't have to do that anymore (or so far anyway) but I still want them on there for the future ... I'm a tad bit nervous to do it because I don't want to get shocked so any input is appreciated.   Undecided

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Home made battery tender ?
Reply #1 - 11/18/09 at 08:34:59

On mine, I was able loosen the positive battery terminal screw w/ a stubby philips, and slip the positive wire from the pigtail under it, then tighten back down. (caution) just don't let the screwdriver short circuit to the frame !
I think the neg battery terminal is near impossible to get at w/o R & Ring the battery, and there is no need to connect to it. You can connect the negative wire anywhere on the engine or frame. I just drilled a 1/8" hole in the frame near the battery, and then screwed the neg wire to it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 11/18/09 at 08:59:11

Obviously be careful not to leave the charger hooked up for too long (that's the advantage of a tender).

With that said, I would just connect an extension with a commercial connector to the battery (since I have a tender, I use one of those connectors - available where you get tenders) and train the wire (make it neat and so it won't rub) along the frame to a convienient spot for charging.  

Then make a pigtail with another connector to go from your battery charger to the plug and plug in when you want to charge.

When you're not charging the commercial connectors come with a little cap attached to keep dirt etc. out of the socket, the connector I have is "finger safe" if you connect it right. There is also a fuse in each line - I don't remember whether I added that, or it came with the connector when I bought it. Gives me a little peace of mind regarding shorting out my battery.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 11/18/09 at 09:07:54

12vdc is not enough voltage to give you a shock.   But it will make pretty sparks.  To avoid sparks:

Disconnect the negative side of the battery first.  Doesn't matter if you bump anything as it's the ground side anyhow.  Once the negative side is clear

disconnect the positive side.  Doesn't matter if you bump anything as the negative side is open and you will not have a closed circuit.

FWIW I don't follow my own advice -- I work on hot circuits, just need to be careful to not unintentionally touch hot to ground.

I have never removed the seat to get at the battery.  Just remove the tool cover, remove the battery holder, push/pull the battery as far out as the cables allow, clip leads to it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:16:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Home made battery tender ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.