Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Big exhaust flames
Reply #15 - 11/19/09 at 07:52:23

a #125 main seems very small for a bike with a Jardine, even at 6k alt...
The altitude should make you one or two steps richer, but the Jardine will take you one or two lean...  

Try a stock 145#.....

But get your lash set first like Justin said, ... no good jetting a motor that isn't ready...

also, check your carb vacuum line for the presence of fuel..... there should be absolutely none....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Augusto
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/23/09 at 10:53:18

definitely too lean, I tried a 145 and was a bit rich switched to a 135 and is perfect.

now the problem showed up again, and this time is not carb related, I think I found it out.

after some 20 minutes or more of riding the engine starts to backfire and looses power and finally dies, after it cools down starts and runs fine for another 20 minutes.

I can feel the Igniter warm but seems like normal to me, what looks very wrong to me is the ignition coil, between the primary leads there's 5.6 ohms and between the HT to any of the low voltage terminals there is 26.000 ohms... not sure about this coil but if it's similar to the rest of the world coils it's way off and looks to me like this is the problem.

any tougths please?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 11/24/09 at 07:58:40

Coil readings sound about normal. Usually, the coil fails "open" and the machine won't run at all. Your description of holding the throttle wide open and getting rough running and flames sounds to me like you are running up against the electronic rev limiter said to be in the ignition box. When you hit that, it will cut the ignition until the revs drop again. During the time the ignition is cut, the engine will continue to inhale a combustible mix of fuel and air, and expel that mixture into the exhaust pipe. Then, when the engine speed drops enough, the rev limiter will allow the engine to fire again. The mixture in the exhaust pipe will ignite as soon as the first "fire" exits the exhaust valve. The result will usually be a huge blast. It's an old stunt used since, probably, the Model T - turn off the ignition for a second or two, then turn it back on to make a loud bang.

It could still be the coil. If the coil is failing, but not completely dead, it could be opening up as it gets warm. It could be getting intermittent until it finally gets hot enough to quit completely. You could try making your resistance measurements while heating the coil with a hair dryer. It could also have gotten a bad spot in its internal insulation allowing it to arc internally under high throttle conditions (when the cylinder pressures are high and thus the required spark voltage is also high). That failure will not show up using an ohmmeter. The only real way to find out is the old substitution method of putting another coil on the motorcycle and seeing what happens.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/24/09 at 17:20:13

Augusto wrote on 11/17/09 at 10:51:41:
I solved the valve timing problem, now this is happening again, it happened before the timing went off btw.

when I rev it WOT big flames and loud explosions come out of the exhaust pipe.

the valve lash is quite tigth, I'll do them later

could the carb be too rich or too lean?

is it possible for the ignition timing to retard somehow?

this happens only when the engine is warm, after some 20 minutes of riding.

please advise.

Augusto.

Flame means you are too lean. Most likely a leak where your muffler connects to the pipe or your header where your pipe connects to your cylinder.

IP Logged
Augusto
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/26/09 at 16:16:23

[/size]LEMON SOLD...!!!!

[size=10]
thanks everybody for helping me out.

Augusto.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/28/09 at 09:38:38

Youll know how much of a lemon it was soon enough if the purchaser lives near you. If you see it on the road soon, then maybe it wasnt in such bad shape.

What you gonna get now? Another Thumper?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big exhaust flames

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.