Got me to thinkin' (Read 172 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Got me to thinkin'
11/17/09 at 09:27:53

So tell me if I'm crazy...a couple weeks ago I posted a thread about my '06 stalling when it was cold (30 degrees). I had some great suggestions to try but the weather went and turned good on me so I'm still not sure what the cause was.
Forum member Routy had suggested that it could be caused by carb icing...seemed plausible...

Routy quote:
"Icing take place when the temps are cold,.... freezing or even above. And it is the rushing wind chill factor that takes the temps of the air coming into the carb and intake to well below freezing and forming ice inside the carb and intake manifold. If the engine can possibly warm up before the icing takes place, then icing will usually not occur. But w/o a heat riser, or any kind of a hot air intake, the only chance is to minimize the air volume that is sucked into the carb while the engine is warming up, therefore why I said to use low RPMs."

I was reading through one of the new topics and came across this from forum member Srinath:

Srinath quote:
My rectifier is just dropped in the airbox. Not screwed in anywhere. It makes heat and if its fitted to metal, the thought is it will dissipate some of that. But I and you have done 1 better, its in the wind. Nothing better than that. I put it in the airbox and have run the bike almost 1000 miles. Its holding up just fine. Looked at it last week, its not a problem.

So my thinking is...if the rectifier generates heat and you drop it into the airbox...would it generate enought heat to warm the air coming into the carb and prevent icing????

What do ya think...totally stupid or brilliant????? Undecided

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Got me to thinkin'
Reply #1 - 11/17/09 at 09:31:19

No, not enough heat. However, the location in the airbox will undoubtedly improve cooling of the rectifier.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Got me to thinkin'
Reply #2 - 11/17/09 at 17:29:49

It can't hurt!.... Wink