Send Topic Print
Carb questions (basic) (Read 147 times)
tbusa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb questions (basic)
11/16/09 at 19:45:33

I have a 2002 650 Savage with a stock carb.  I bought the bike used but the carb was supposedly "cleaned" but I am not sure what was done.

Should both of the upper nipples be blocked off or open to vent?

How many turns out from fully closed should the mixture adjustment screw be set?  (I realize each bike might be different but mine is set at 1 1/2 turns out from fully seated)

What can I do if the exhaust is already discolored (assume too hot from overly lean carb adjustment)

I am a newbie.  Thx for your help.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Carb questions (basic)
Reply #1 - 11/17/09 at 05:58:11

A lot of folks have different ideas of what a carb cleaning consists of, so on this point you cannot assume anything.  If the carb is problematic now then you can fun some Sea Foam through it and see if it helps.  It may fix it, but if not then pull it off the engine and take it apart.  Some of the passageways are extremely small and finding tools to clean something that small without damaging anything can be difficult.  Very fine safety wire can be useful, along with pipe cleaners or make-up brushes from your womans make-up kit ... shhhh ... stealth may be necessary for this phase.
There are specific tools for this, by the way.
Having a magnifying glass is also helpful when trying to see into the tiny holes when looking for dirt/grit/corrosion.
The only way to know for sure that your carb is completely clean is for you to look at every part yourself.  Otherwise, you are just guessing.

All that said, if your carb is working and responding properly now then don't take it apart.  Do any jetting and/or adjusting needed and go ride.

IP Logged
tbusa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/17/09 at 09:51:49

Thx for the reply and I certainly agree with everything you wrote.

Should the 2 nipples (1 on each side of the carb) on the top half of the carb be open to atmosphere (vented) or plugged?  I was thinking these are subject to vacuum and should be plugged, yes??

Thx for your help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/17/09 at 10:23:02

tbusa wrote on 11/17/09 at 09:51:49:
Should the 2 nipples (1 on each side of the carb) on the top half of the carb be open to atmosphere (vented) or plugged?  I was thinking these are subject to vacuum and should be plugged, yes??

They should be open, stock config is to have tubes attached to them and stuck up inside the frame above the carb.

If you plug them, the carb won't fill up with gas.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 11/28/09 at 17:23:37

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb questions (basic)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.