Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wanna go to single seat on 2006 (Read 184 times)
Sash
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wanna go to single seat on 2006
11/15/09 at 08:54:28

Will a seat from an older savage work?     Hate the the stock seat....

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Wanna go to single seat on 2006
Reply #1 - 11/15/09 at 11:35:23

the s40 seat is "improved". If you dont like it you'll hate the savage seat even more. Search for the Diamond Jim seat mod. I like it but it does lower your seat height a couple inches.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 11/15/09 at 15:20:25

I'm still looking for a different seat too.  Suzuki has an OEM replacement seat, and Corbin now makes one, but I don't think they have solos.  Some people have converted Harley Sportster seats to fit, so a solo Sportster seat might work, but I haven't been able to find out which exact Sportster model (year, tank size, etc) will work.  There are plenty of aftermarket solo seats for Sportsters though, so if you can find one that you are willing to risk the money to try, I sure would be interested in knowing about it!  I check ebay regularly, trying to find one that I'm willing to risk it on.

In the meantime, I bought a Saddlemen raw gel pad, took the cover off my seat, carved it out more to my liking, and inserted the gel, and stapled the cover back on.  Its better, definitely more comfortable for me, but still not exactly what I want.

Search this site for seat options or seat mods, several have done a few solo mods, and I think they mention which seat they used.  I don't necessarily want solo, but still open to options.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/15/09 at 15:42:15

a.  I think you should be able to swap to a solo and pillion seat from the one piece,... might have to drill a hole to mount pillion...

b.   Piglett,... I sat on Gerry's Corbin seat,... he likes it, but he weighs 300+ pounds,... hard as a rock for my skinny butt...
Try a fake or real sheepskin cover,... very cushy...

c.  There are many different Sportster seats, the only one I sat on felt like a telephone pole... "Ooouchie!"... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 11/16/09 at 05:41:15

Serowbot wrote on 11/15/09 at 15:42:15:
a.  I think you should be able to swap to a solo and pillion seat from the one piece,... might have to drill a hole to mount pillion...

b.   Piglett,... I sat on Gerry's Corbin seat,... he likes it, but he weighs 300+ pounds,... hard as a rock for my skinny butt...
Try a fake or real sheepskin cover,... very cushy...

c.  There are many different Sportster seats, the only one I sat on felt like a telephone pole... "Ooouchie!"... Huh

I won't pay that much money for a Corbin.  I'm cheap!  And I don't want a stock Sportster seat either, as I haven't found one that is comfortable.  Well, I did sit on a Sportster that had a gel seat that was nice, but I assume it was aftermarket.  They say the Sundowner is nice too, but I haven't seen one in person to feel it.  A guy I work with is getting one for his Dyna, so I'll get to sit on it eventually.  Mustang would be my choice if I could find that dang money tree!  I'll find the right one some day.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/16/09 at 05:55:56

I fitted a sportster gel seat onto mine, not a huge improvement, but a little, a bit wider than stock and a smooth cover vs the stock texture.  Taking off the stock cover and reshaping the foam is probably the best way to go, just pry off the staples and refasten it when your done, worst case scenario, you end up getting another seat if you mess it up.  

The sheepskin pad is the easiest of all.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 11/16/09 at 06:58:29

buttgoat1 wrote on 11/16/09 at 05:55:56:
I fitted a sportster gel seat onto mine, not a huge improvement, but a little, a bit wider than stock and a smooth cover vs the stock texture.  Taking off the stock cover and reshaping the foam is probably the best way to go, just pry off the staples and refasten it when your done, worst case scenario, you end up getting another seat if you mess it up.  

The sheepskin pad is the easiest of all.

Do you know what year/model Sportster yours came from?  I think the texture of the stock seat is the part I really hate, and the flatness of it.  I curved it out as much as I could, without digging into the pan.  The gel is nice though.  And where the heck did you come up with "buttgoat"?  Story behind that?

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/16/09 at 16:41:33

I got the seat off of ebay, not sure of the year, but I did have to make a pedestal to support it underneath because the bottom is flat and also peel back the cover and trim the front so it didn't hit the gas tank.
point is, anything will work if you do enough fabbing and modifying.

The name comes from a misunderstanding about goats I have cattle and goats, during the conversation I said but goat and the other person thought buttgoat was a variety of goat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wanna go to single seat on 2006

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.