Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
petcock? fuel line? cold weather? (Read 780 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
petcock? fuel line? cold weather?
11/14/09 at 20:43:17

SO! i rode yesterday and everything was amazing!

i started her up 2day and she died b4 hitting the end of the block, turned up the idle, seemed to be ok. but it kept diein or wantin to die at a stop...so i turned the petcock to res for giggles and it didn't happen again.

i waited til i got home b4 i put it back to "on" sat in the driveway for a minute or so and it idled fine.

can i just leave it on res and watch my mileage VERY carefully? i'll probably replace the one line from the carb to the tank(on the right side, already replaced the one on the left side). is it the petcock? is it expensive or difficult to swap to the raptor? OR can i just leave it in res??? i'm sure this has been answered many times over, but i love hearing the new and improved advice!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: petcock? fuel line? cold weather?
Reply #1 - 11/14/09 at 21:34:22

You're runnin' out a gas, ya' big dummy!... Grin

Seriously,... a typical petcock problem is cured by blocking off the vac line and running on Prime... or a vac line leak, by just running on prime...
Going to reserve,... could mean that your On postion fuel tap is clogged and needs cleaning, or...

You're runnin' out a gas, ya' big dummy!... Grin

Grin Grin Grin   I only say that, 'cause you're too far away to smack me... Wink

BTW,... a Raptor petcock is about $20 + $10 shipping... very sexy for a metal thing...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/15/09 at 03:46:24

Rocco,

Drain it, then take your tank off and pull the petcock.  The screen on your petcock is likely blocked off with varnish -- some carb cleaner can work wonders to make your stock vac petcock behave a lot better.

Or, I second the Raptor replacement idea -- the only downside to them is having to remember to turn your gas off every time you stop.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 11/15/09 at 05:44:42

lol serowbot, you're too cool for me to smack!!!

i thought it was low on gas too but i just filled up the night before!!

ok, i'll replace that line, i'm goin riding 2day with some friends hopefully i can get through this lol and then as soon as i can i'll pull the tank!

and i'm glad the petcock isn't expensive!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/15/09 at 06:48:00

You'll have to drain the tank,... and when you pull the petcock (two bolts), you'll have to gently bend the pick-up tubes to get them out of the tank, if you do it with the tank on the bike... but it is possible..
Spray that screen clean, then blow through from the bottom to make sure it's clear... Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/15/09 at 08:03:06

Pulling the rear hold down bolts & lifting the rear of the tank might make pulling the petcock a little easier,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/15/09 at 09:48:46

While you are examining the petc0ck, be sure to check the four screws holding the diaphragm cover on.  A couple of mine loosened up and caused a vacuum leak.
Sarge
Smiley

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 11/15/09 at 14:06:05

awesome! thanks guys! i went riding 2day with my friends, 100 miles total but she ran perfect! like a scalded dog actually...not one problem with the petcock in the on position....maybe she was mad @ me!! i'll still clean the screen and replace the line though!!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/16/09 at 00:04:17

oh wow! Another Harley. How unexpected. You're shooting from the wrong side my friend.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 11/16/09 at 06:44:43

Sorry guys, but I think you're barking up a tree where the problem ain't !........or maybe its, ...."the wrong tree" ?

Its the same as blaming a fuel filter, for low or intermedieate speed problems.
As w/ any carbed engine,....anytime the engine runs fine at higher speed speed, don't blame any part of the "main fuel delivery system" for idle or low speed problems !
That fact will never change,.....sorry.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/16/09 at 07:32:37

If the reserve tap fixes it,... the on tap has to be the problem....
Make sense?...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 11/16/09 at 07:40:31

If it really fixes it, then you would have to be right. But did you put any logical common sense thinking into my statement before posting ?

I can only tell it like has been proven ever since carbed engines existed. I mean, if a carb is getting enough fuel to run WOT, how could it not be getting enough to go slow,.....or idle. But then, I'd bet you would have known that w/o me tellin it Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 11/16/09 at 08:25:04

i'm lost! and i took a bunch of pics, posted that one cuz i figured u guys remembered what my beast looked like!!lol

ok, so what are we saying here? what should i do to fix the problem??

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/16/09 at 08:30:44

Yup,..
and
Yup,...

I do get your point,... but if going to reserve fixed it.... there's no other option...
otherwise,... I'd guess different..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 11/16/09 at 08:37:10

Rocco,...  It still stands true, that if your bike runs fine on reserve, it has to be a plugged pick-up screen on the petcock...
But, if you are mistaken, and the problem can occur on reserve too...  it is more likely a carb problem like Routy says... clogged pilot jet, sticky slide, low idle....
Let us know, if you notice anything else...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:46:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › petcock? fuel line? cold weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.