Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
petcock? fuel line? cold weather? (Read 780 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: petcock? fuel line? cold weather?
Reply #30 - 11/20/09 at 04:38:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/19/09 at 18:43:07:
Every time Ive checked them theyve been looser than when I set them. The little adjusters smack on the valves & theyre pointy. Thats why I adjust as tight as I can & still stay in spec. That way, the cam doesnt get such a running start to smash them against the valves.

Thanks.
And good logical thinking.
Like most times in a valve train, where theres noise, there's friction, and where there's friction there's wear Sad
Not hard to remember the pushrod solid lifter days,....always adjusting

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 12/17/09 at 20:49:58

Routy wrote on 11/16/09 at 06:44:43:
......As w/ any carbed engine,....anytime the engine runs fine at higher speed speed, don't blame any part of the "main fuel delivery system" for idle or low speed problems !
That fact will never change,.....sorry.

Unless you're talking about a vacuum operated petcock that is leaking fuel into the intake manifold and causing a rich condition.

Higher engine speeds will tend to mask the condition due to the fact that intake vacuum goes down and, thus, less fuel gets sucked into the intake.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #32 - 12/19/09 at 06:26:33

Digger wrote on 12/17/09 at 20:49:58:
......As w/ any carbed engine,....anytime the engine runs fine at higher speed speed, don't blame any part of the "main fuel delivery system" for idle or low speed problems !

Unless you're talking about a vacuum operated petcock that is leaking fuel into the intake manifold and causing a rich condition.

Higher engine speeds will tend to mask the condition due to the fact that intake vacuum goes down and, thus, less fuel gets sucked into the intake.

Very probable.
But I ain't figured out how that counterdicts my statement, or if it was meant to Huh

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 12/19/09 at 09:15:30

What Digger is saying, is when the vacuum diaphragm leaks,... the symptoms are most apparent at high vacuum conditions...  which is at idle and low speed steady cruise...
At Wide open throttle, vacuum is close to zero, and so, very little gas is sucked down the vacuum line directly into the intake... so no symptom at full throttle...
Let off the gas,... vacuum goes way high and gas is drawn down the vacuum tube, and the bike stumbles rich...
Full throttle,... no symptoms
Low speed and idle,... stumbling, dying, backfires...
Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #34 - 12/19/09 at 10:39:27

And even if everything is functioning properly, the vacuum controlled petcock can cause you to run lean under high load conditions. If you are running 65-70 into a 30 mph headwind, you're pretty much wot with little vacuum left to keep the petcock open. I checked this with a gauge teed in & taped to my gas tank. I always run in prime & at the first sign of a drip from the carb, I replace the needle & seat. Seven years + & I've never had a problem.
I do think I'll get a raptor petcock though because at the price it's easier than modding the oem. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #35 - 12/19/09 at 17:17:14

Serowbot wrote on 12/19/09 at 09:15:30:
What Digger is saying, is when the vacuum diaphragm leaks,... the symptoms are most apparent at high vacuum conditions...  which is at idle and low speed steady cruise...
At Wide open throttle, vacuum is close to zero, and so, very little gas is sucked down the vacuum line directly into the intake... so no symptom at full throttle...
Let off the gas,... vacuum goes way high and gas is drawn down the vacuum tube, and the bike stumbles rich...
Full throttle,... no symptoms
Low speed and idle,... stumbling, dying, backfires...
Wink

Yes I understand all of that, and not a problem, except that my post was included in the quote as if his post counterdicted mine, which is doesn't and I guess was not meant to.

Mine only pertained to the several posts here that believed a plugged petcock screen, or fuel filter could be causing a low speed lean or fuel starvation problem, while running fine at higher speeds.

Rich
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #36 - 12/19/09 at 21:03:44

hmmm makes sense! she stalled again 2nite bad, but i had the idle low, and it was about 40 degrees colder then it usually is!

i cleaned the petcock screen(red rocket popsicle thingy) but i'm not sure if this was a weather problem or what!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 12/23/09 at 21:29:05

I'M HAVING A SIMULAR PROBLEM SINCE COOL WEATHER SET IN.  I THINK ITS DUE TO THE ALCHOL IN THE GAS BECOUSE I ALLREADY HAVE A RAPTURE SHUT-OFF VALVE AND HAVE DOUBLE CHECK THE TIED OFF VACUME LINE ( BOTH ENDS).
AFTER I STOP MOVING AND THE ENGINE IDLES FOR A FEW MINUTES WITHOUT AIR FLOW COOLING , THINGS RETURN TO NORMAL.

ANYONE ELSE THINK FUEL IS THE PROBLEM ???

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #38 - 12/23/09 at 21:58:42

If you can shut off the rapture,... I'd sure appreciate it... Huh

Quote:
AND HAVE DOUBLE CHECK THE TIED OFF VACUME LINE ( BOTH ENDS).

are you sure you get this concept?... If you have a "Raptor" petcock,...there's only one place to cap off...
that would be,.. blocking the air tap on the carb... is that done?... if not, you will suck air and run lean...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #39 - 12/24/09 at 15:20:13

i lowered the idle, and she's running good 2day, the starter made a funny noise a couple of times but didn't do it again.

my friend is gonna check for air leaks, and eventually i'll do a raptor.

just glad i have backup on here !!  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 12/24/09 at 21:32:24

What kinda RPM you suppose its idling at, now that you lowered it a bit?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #41 - 12/25/09 at 23:03:02

Your right Serowbot  "One end capped"   I stand corected.  Bike still sputters on 10% alchol and cool weather.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #42 - 12/27/09 at 12:50:15

uuuum well, instead of a machine gun it's kind of badum...badum...badum instead of budumbudumbudumbudum

i know that is no help, but before it didn't sound like she slowed down when i was @ a stop, now it does, and she growls alot more when she's lower idle(which i like) =]

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #43 - 01/04/10 at 19:17:05

Routy wrote on 12/19/09 at 06:26:33:
Digger wrote on 12/17/09 at 20:49:58:

Very probable.
But I ain't figured out how that counterdicts my statement, or if it was meant to Huh

Sorry, but I DID mean to disagree with your point as stated in the quote.

I was considering the petcock as part of the fuel delivery system.  The petcock DOES have a failure mode that will manifest itself as poor low rpm engine operation, leaving high rpm operations relatively unaffected.

However, I saw a few posts ago that you were referring to a fuel delivery blockage problem in your statement.  If that was the case then, yes, I agree with your statement.

Ride safe!   Wink

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #44 - 01/07/10 at 08:02:02

so my friend thinks i may have an air leak somewhere between the carb and engine(the only place for an air leak right?)

but i'm still not sure, he's gonna see if he can find it. if not maybe i'll just throw a raptor petcock on there IF someone has one and would be so kind as to TELL ME HOW TO DO IT lol then i shouldn't have a problem.

what happens if u 4get to turn the petcock off and it sits over night?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:34:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › petcock? fuel line? cold weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.