Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
petcock? fuel line? cold weather? (Read 780 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: petcock? fuel line? cold weather?
Reply #15 - 11/16/09 at 08:55:59

thank u sir! you are the man!!

i don't think it's the carb, as we just put the pilot in it not too long ago..not saying it couldn't be but i haven't touched the petcock ever.

it ran awesome yesterday so i have no idea, maybe she was mad @ me lol i'm def goin to replace that line, clean the screen(hopefully it's not too complicated lol) and while the tank is off change the plug for the heck of it.

btw how fast should i be @ idle? is it supposed to be going "a hundred miles per hour" lol!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 11/16/09 at 09:38:25

Without a tach,.. it's real hard to be definitive...

But, it's better for the engine idle to be a little high than low... that insures good oil flow...
So,.. you don't want to be as low as you can go, to sound cool...
It shouldn't be lopey or bogging...  Harley guys are famous for setting the idle real low to sound cool...

Mine changes with the weather, so I turn it up at lights some time...  I think it's supposed to be 1000 to 1100 rpm... ???

Repeat after me...
Budabudabudaubudaubudaubuda.... Perfect... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/16/09 at 10:53:58

I really think you are being throwed a curve because it is an intermittent problem. I think I would be suspecting the carb itself. I really think that the vacum operated shutoff is a good feature, and I would hate to see you do away w/ it, and then have that not be the real problem either. From what I have learned here is that the only problem the vacum shut off ever gives is a deteriorated hose, or the diaphram itself. Thats not hard to trouble shoot and repair.
Good luck.
Rocco wrote on 11/16/09 at 08:25:04:
i'm lost! and i took a bunch of pics, posted that one cuz i figured u guys remembered what my beast looked like!!lol

ok, so what are we saying here? what should i do to fix the problem??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 11/16/09 at 11:20:11

Routy,...  the hose is easy, just replace it...
a torn diaphragm,... not so easy,... they don't sell it...  So, you have to buy a whole new petcock..
$70.00 + shipping...

I know,... sucks...

Booga!.... Huh

Quote:
I really think that the vacum operated shutoff is a good feature, and I would hate to see you do away w/ it, and then have that not be the real problem either.

You like as long as it works,.... once it gives you hell,...
Not so much....

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 11/16/09 at 13:41:30

Right,....that changes that story a bit for sure.
Thanks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #20 - 11/18/09 at 10:39:11

went out again 2day, probably take her to work..everything is fine and dandy....was she just mad @ me? lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 11/18/09 at 15:35:13

Maybe,..whadya' say to her?... Huh

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #22 - 11/18/09 at 22:11:24

lol i spent time cleaning mine and my girl's cars....maybe she was jealous!!

so my dew can fell out of the muffler and that is making a weird noise, and i can swear the valves are getting louder BUT i have a hopeful hope lol

it's cold here, like 70 and lower @ night, which is ALOT colder then she's used to. she doesn't backfire @ all now that it's cold and she isn't as loud. colder air is easier to move and she does feel peppier....SO maybe she's always made these noises and i'm just now able to hear them.

i haven't checked the valves, i've only got 9000 miles on her, i am just scared to death to check the valves....is there a step by step for this?

i played with the air bleed screw and the stalling problem is solved, but now i get kind of a "pulse" at idle....

i have no idea what is causing these, or if they are even new problems......all i know is that i don't like it when we don't get along!!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #23 - 11/18/09 at 23:23:25

Rocco wrote on 11/18/09 at 22:11:24:
lol i spent time cleaning mine and my girl's cars....maybe she was jealous!!

so my dew can fell out of the muffler and that is making a weird noise, and i can swear the valves are getting louder BUT i have a hopeful hope lol

it's cold here, like 70 and lower @ night, which is ALOT colder then she's used to. she doesn't backfire @ all now that it's cold and she isn't as loud. colder air is easier to move and she does feel peppier....SO maybe she's always made these noises and i'm just now able to hear them.

i haven't checked the valves, i've only got 9000 miles on her, i am just scared to death to check the valves....is there a step by step for this?

i played with the air bleed screw and the stalling problem is solved, but now i get kind of a "pulse" at idle....

i have no idea what is causing these, or if they are even new problems......all i know is that i don't like it when we don't get along!!

Valve adjustment instructions http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1255580802

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 11/19/09 at 08:51:31

supposed to check valves every 4k,...  I go 6k...
but at 9k....
CHECK THEM VALVES!..... Angry

Grin Grin Grin

First time will seem hard,... but, after you get it,... it's just a half hour routine.. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 11/19/09 at 12:07:30

When mine was new, it needed valves adjusted more often. As Ive learned to set them to closer tolerances( Just my thinking here), the cam doesnt slam the adjusters down on the valves AND, all the parts involved have set to each other & done some wrok hardening. Mine doesnt need adjusted every 3 to 5 K miles now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 11/19/09 at 13:09:55

What is the experience here,....do the valves tend to tighten or loosen over time ? Mine has 4600 on it, doubt they have been checked. If they tend to tighten, theres really no way of knowing w/o checking. But if they tend to loosen, I believe I would hear them. As they are now, they (the engine) sounds reasonably quiet.

Rich
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #27 - 11/19/09 at 13:23:15

Routy wrote on 11/19/09 at 13:09:55:
What is the experience here,....do the valves tend to tighten or loosen over time ? Mine has 4600 on it, doubt they have been checked. If they tend to tighten, theres really no way of knowing w/o checking. But if they tend to loosen, I believe I would hear them. As they are now, they (the engine) sounds reasonably quiet.

If you can "feel" a little slack in the rockers when you move them with your fingers (with the inspection covers off), AND you don't hear them clacking when the motor is running, you're likely to be good.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 11/19/09 at 18:43:07

Every time Ive checked them theyve been looser than when I set them. The little adjusters smack on the valves & theyre pointy. Thats why I adjust as tight as I can & still stay in spec. That way, the cam doesnt get such a running start to smash them against the valves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #29 - 11/19/09 at 23:31:31

i replaced the other fuel line, it had a small crack in it, maybe the culprit!! the new one is WAY thicker then the old so i couldn't fit the "slinky thingy" around it....oh well

i turned the air mix screw, it was out like 5 turns lol i believe i have it somewhere around 2 maybe 2.5 right now, and she sounds good.

my friend turned my idle down, and said the valves sound fine.  

we went to bike night and got drenched to and from.....my header wrap was smoking and some guy @ a light goes "you're on fire" to which i replied "thank u!"  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:29:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › petcock? fuel line? cold weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.