YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Louder Noise
Reply #15 - 11/18/09 at 22:35:28

There are several things to check and I'd do them in order of ease.
Loose parts... speedo, headlight and other various parts.
Torque motor mounts, all of them.
pulley cover and belt covers.
adjust valves
check your ankles, press 'em against the covers, vibes should be equal.  For those of you w/o verslavies, this will save your @$$ if you pay attention.

If all of this doesn't yield a non rattling bike... I'd whip out the stethascope and put it to good use.  Any knocking around the oil filter and I'd have the cover off before you ride again.

WWW   IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Re: Louder Noise - SOLVED
Reply #16 - 12/24/09 at 06:06:23

NOISE FOUND & FIXED......When we put Verslagen1's cam chain tensioner (the one with two holes) on, it allowed for more tension on the chain. The noise stopped. My OEM tensioner was only about half way out, but it did not put enough tension on the cam chain to cause it to run quietly. My mechanic said it was too loose. I hope his using the farther out hole does not put too much tension on the chain.

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/24/09 at 06:48:39

I think theres some work to be done in the cam chain/tensioner area that would benefit all. The chains go away too fast. Some folks get decent wear, others less. The variables make it hard to see the problem. No one here runs the bike too long w/o an oil change, tho. & seems everyone is trying to use a quality oil, so, unless the engines have different oiling systems ( some variations in pressure/flow/distribution) that would account for some chains not lasting as long, then my best guess on why it is that way is that the tensioner gets a "click" & then the jug grows from heat & stretches the chain hard against the pins, then that wears them.
So, Im toying w/ the idea of eliminating some of the teeth on the adjuster.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #18 - 12/24/09 at 07:26:08

Justin_O_guy, You may have hit on something. However, my chain was too loose even though the tensioner plunger was only half way out. (4600 mi.) There is also side to side play of the chain because the tensioner is not mounted in such a way as to prevent this. In my case the spring seemed to be too weak to hold the proper tension against the cam chain. If there is a flaw in your idea it might be that reguardless of the closeness of the rachet teeth, once the click happened you would have the same condition as before. With less teeth you would have longer periods of declining tension, but as soon as the click happened the tightness condition would be similar to the original. I think the tensioner Verslagen1 has made is great. We might add some guide to prevent lateral movement. If the chain is being oiled properly, the tension on the slack side would hardly compare with the tension on the pulling side. Therefore, I think the extra tension you mention would hardly be noticed in chain wear. It might result in extra wear of the surface of the tension parts that rub on the chain. Just my opinion....Dan.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 12/24/09 at 07:41:43

I think the tensioner Verslagen1 has made is great.

You talking about the one with the plates or the welded on tab? I think theyre both good, tho I need to study the plates again & see how that works. I forgot.

Im not sure how my idea would work out, either. I wouldnt want to try it unless I had another tensioner arm with all its "teeth" intact.
If it did work out, Id sure want to weld a tab on it & get more wear outta that chanin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #20 - 12/24/09 at 11:12:37

I have the one with the weld on tab....Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:30:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Louder Noise - SOLVED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.