Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Louder Noise - SOLVED (Read 440 times)
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Louder Noise - SOLVED
11/14/09 at 13:03:36

I have a very bothersome noise coming from my '06 S40. I will try to explain best as I can. It is a very hard noise to describe......Must be in 2nd gear or higher, clutch must be engaged and you must be accelerating or have some restance. Pull clutch in and noise stops immediately. Rev engine with clutch pulled in while rolling and no noise. It also stops on deceleration. I have heard this sound (extremely low) with the bike sitting still in neutral and idleing. I could hear this sound from behind and the right side of the bike. Sound is much like something intermitantly touching inside of clutch cover or in muffler, but it is loud enough to hear real easily without a windshield and with helmet on and doing 55mph. Not a knock or a scrape. Maybe a rattle. I know this is a poor description of the actual sound. It is bothersome and I am afraid something is coming loose even though the bike runs fine. I have thought it was a spark knock, but have tried 93 octane and running with the choke on.....No difference. It is very loud today, more so than usual. Any ideas would be appreciated....Dan

« Last Edit: 12/25/09 at 12:50:28 by Ebikerman »  

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: Louder Noise
Reply #1 - 11/14/09 at 13:27:23

Check to see if the front of your belt guard is vibrating against the inside of the front sprocket cover. There is supposed to be a little pad on your belt guard where it fits behind the front cover but they fall off.

I bent my belt guard for a little more cleearance & haven't had the noise since. Drove me crazy trying to figure it out because it only did it under hard acceleration in 2nd gear.  Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/14/09 at 13:40:08

Just to rule it out,... put pressure, downward, upward, sideward... on the speedo while hearing the noise...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/14/09 at 14:25:10

put your hand on various parts of the bike while you hear the noise to see if it goes away.

headlight speedo are likely culprets.

WWW   IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #4 - 11/15/09 at 12:57:54

Noise is much less today, as has been the case before, but it is still there. I got on my knees beside the bike and listened carefully. At first I thought it was coming from the exhaust, but not true, I covered the exhaust outlet with my gloves and the sound did not change. As I moved up the muffler with my ear, the sound continued, but dissapeared somewhere short of the front of the muffler. A better explanation of the sound is something like you would make with your mouth if you were trying to simulate a steamboat fog horn. When riding, add to that something like a mild clap on acceleration.  I am just about to believe it could be a deteriorating bearing having to do with the clutch or trans, Maybe it is just a normal sound for these bikes. Whatever it is, I don't like it.

As far as the speedo, I tried pushing it every which way to no avail. I also took off the side cover to the front sprocket and rode the bike without it. Same sound today with the cover on or off. Thanks guys for that info, but it is something else. Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 11/15/09 at 13:17:07

Check the torque on big the nut that holds the front drive hub on. They can get loose and cause strange noises along with spline wear.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/15/09 at 14:12:27

Take a long screwdriver & put the handle against the bone in front of your ear. Use that like a stethoscope.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/15/09 at 14:20:25

Maybe you have something coming loose inside the muffler- cracked baffle?
Using a long screwdriver, you can place the tip where you want to listen & put your ear to the handle. You will be able to move it until you locate where it is the loudest. Just be EXTREMELY CAREFUL near moving parts.
Or, make a trip to Harbor Freight & pick up a mechanics' stethoscope for $5.99.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/41900-41999/41966.gif
Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #8 - 11/15/09 at 15:17:56

Ed L. wrote on 11/15/09 at 13:17:07:
Check the torque on big the nut that holds the front drive hub on. They can get loose and cause strange noises along with spline wear.

I will try your idea of checking the torque. How do you hold the pulley still while you torque the nut? Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #9 - 11/15/09 at 15:20:00

The screw driver idea is a good one too. I can do this while sitting still, but can't while riding. Thanks for a good idea. I may order me a mechanics sthescope from Harbor Freight since there is not one in my town. Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #10 - 11/15/09 at 15:36:12

Strange as it may seem, I am beginning to think this sound may be something like detonation or spark knock. When I first got this bike, I had my mechanic friend do the white washer mod since it was running very lean and surging unacceptably. He ground off about half of the spacer. Surging is hardly noticible now and fuel mileage is around 57mpg. The bike runs strong. The strange thing is that when it was so lean, the spark plug was sooty. The idle screw was out about 2 1/2 turns. Can you explain that? I have not checked the plug since the modification.

During warmer weather, I had the idle mixture screw set at 1 1/2 turns out and all was fine except for that same old noise I have been complaining about. As colder weather moves in, I am getting more backfires even with more turns out on the screw. Still runs good though.

I believe the previous owner upped the main jet to a 155. Not sure what is standard for an '06 S40, but a 155 is what is in there now.

Oh, by the way, I even checked the airfilter to see if it was rattling. I sure appreciate everyones help. Please don't stop now. Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: 11/16/09 at 06:18:51 by Ebikerman »  

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #11 - 11/15/09 at 23:30:54

if the jets dont make sense then
1 float level is out
2 there not genuine mikuni jets
3 they are for the wrong carb

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 11/16/09 at 05:35:21

I have a very hard deep knocking type of noise on WOT only, but only thru the intermedieate RPM range. Mite be spark knock,...I wouldn't know, but it doesn't concern me much if at all, because anymore, WOT is not my most favorite throttle position for more than a few seconds ! Shocked
And seems like I had about the same noise on a 750 Norton Atlas years ago. The noise never changed.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #13 - 11/16/09 at 06:20:06

I called the main jet a 55 when it should be identified as a 155. Sorry about that................Dan

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 11/18/09 at 22:16:15

i heard the same noise i think for the first time 2nite, i remember my friend saying detonation sounds like a death rattle or knock, mine was coming from the front of the engine.....

this is drivin me nuts as i'm not sure if it always has done it and i'm just now hearing it OR something is going wrong....but she runs fine...even 2 up!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:22:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Louder Noise - SOLVED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.