Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yet another Bobber Project. (Read 467 times)
mumbles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston Tx
Re: Yet another Bobber Project.
Reply #15 - 11/16/09 at 05:14:23

BurnPgh wrote on 11/15/09 at 23:34:57:
Rocco wrote on 11/15/09 at 23:22:59:
ahaha the can is awesome! i have a mountain dew can that tightens up the pipe to muffler joint loL!!!

mines a Monster can

So what did ya'll use to support the pipe to the existing exhaust. Is it just held up by the header bolts?

1995 Savage
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 11/16/09 at 06:32:32

I like it, but OK 2 things -
I dont like tail lights hanging off the axle bolts - but that's just me ...

The regulator doesn't have to be fitted on the side of the air box cover. I dropped it into the air box. Like out the wire through then plug it in the air box.
It gets plenty of air, and there is room for it.

Mine is here.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1433566973.html

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
marotajo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 11/16/09 at 07:02:42

I connected the muffler to the header pipe with a standard U-shape muffler clamp from the auto parts store.  I was going to weld it, but I like the idea of being able to take it apart and adjusting the baffle if I have to.  The two pieces are tape wrapped seperatly so they come apart just by loosening the muffler clamp.  The muffler is not that heavy and the header supports it just fine.  

The brake light/license plate assembly is mounted to the swingarm where the passenger peg was, not to the rear axle bolt.

You just stuck the rectifier in the airbox, or did you screw or bolt or mount it in some way?    

Looking at the pictures, I think the only thing I would do different is to make the rear fender a little longer.  Other than that, I think it turned out pretty well.  I can't get over what a blast this thing is to ride, I took it out early yesterday morning and rode around the countryside for an hour and a half.  These really are great little bikes!  Smiley

Mark
1995 Savage
Central FL USA Smiley

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 11/16/09 at 07:37:17

The whole licence fitted to the side ... foot peg or axle or any where just seems to tell me ... oops we forgot where to put this ... ok why dont we put it here. They'd build 250K bikes and fit that thing to the side ... so the back end looks clean ... yea but the place where its fitted looks like crap ... whatever. Its just opinion, how is cornering clearance though ? you think you'd scrape it ?

My rectifier is just dropped in the airbox. Not screwed in anywhere. It makes heat and if its fitted to metal, the thought is it will dissipate some of that. But I and you have done 1 better, its in the wind. Nothing better than that. I put it in the airbox and have run the bike almost 1000 miles. Its holding up just fine. Looked at it last week, its not a problem.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
mumbles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston Tx
Reply #19 - 11/16/09 at 07:55:27

marotajo wrote on 11/16/09 at 07:02:42:
I connected the muffler to the header pipe with a standard U-shape muffler clamp from the auto parts store.  I was going to weld it, but I like the idea of being able to take it apart and adjusting the baffle if I have to.  The two pieces are tape wrapped seperatly so they come apart just by loosening the muffler clamp.  The muffler is not that heavy and the header supports it just fine.  

Thanks man, i'm still waiting on a header crush gasket and the gasket that goes between the header pipe and the muffler. And a sportster muffler too but I wanted to experiance with a straight pipe also.

1995 Savage
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #20 - 11/16/09 at 08:14:02

good call BurnPgh! nothin wrong with chuggin some sugar then puttin the can to use!!

i didn't want to take a chance with the muffler just hangin on the header. so i drilled a hole through the "frame arm" that the orig muffler bolted onto. of course the sporty didn't line up, so i cut the bracket that held a dual exhaust from an 1800 vtx. it was a thick plate of metal. i cut it, drilled a hole through it, and a couple of long bolts. i am pretty proud of it, as it hasn't given me trouble since i made it!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #21 - 11/16/09 at 13:09:18

marotajo wrote on 11/14/09 at 07:05:59:
Here's a link to the video of the handmade exhaust.  Look's like a straight pipe, but doesn't sound like one.

http://www.bikemovies.com/movie/011982/

Using this video as a reference can anyone who has measured their idle RPM estimate what RPM this bike is doing.

It sounds about the same as mine so hopefully we both have the idle speed set right!

IP Logged
marotajo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/16/09 at 13:20:59

Try this link - the video is a little longer.

http://www.bikemovies.com/movie/011986/

Mark
1995 Savage
Central FL USA

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #23 - 11/16/09 at 13:26:15

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the license plate fitted asymmetrically to the motorcycle. I think it looks rather silly.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 11/16/09 at 13:48:13

just geussing since I dont have a tach but Id set it a bit higher what with the low oil pressure. Im pretty sure my idle is a bit high but that doesnt hurt anything whereas low idle speed will.

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #25 - 11/16/09 at 14:09:17

Where to put the plate... ?

Up high you lose the clean rear look, but the overall balance looks so much better. If you mounted it right at the end of the fender, and used a square stop light, with a dark lens, with a housing and a couple of thin struts I think it would look cool.

You are lucky you can get away with such a small plate. In the UK ours are HUGE, and you will get pulled over if you go non standard. (The cameras can't follow you around, and The Man don't like that)

The positioning of the plate is the only thing keeping me back from bobbing my bike, I really want to keep it looking "balanced".

Maybe I should do an Indian, those fat fenders would match my fat plate!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 11/16/09 at 14:28:30

yea...brit cameras are scary. I read somewhere that you guys have 1 surveillance camera for every 4 citizens.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/16/09 at 15:40:39

I like my plate location, tucked under the seat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 21:17:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yet another Bobber Project.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.