Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
12-1/2" Progressive + SuperTrapp is a no-go! (Read 296 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
12-1/2" Progressive + SuperTrapp is a no-go!
11/11/09 at 14:34:57

The problem will be obvious to some folks:

But for those whom the picture doesn't explain it: the shock is too long, and the rear axle bolt will hit on the muffler constantly if I were to force installation of the taller shock!

So... Since we should all know by now that: You can't always have what you want...

It seems I have several options:

1. Cut a few inches out of my header and attempt to gas weld (braze) it back together into a length that will allow the shorter exhaust system to clear the longer shock. (Hot, sooty exhaust may come out on something /somewhere I don't want it).

2. Take the decent sounding short Dyna/Sporty muffler off my chopper and put it on the road bike.  As the Supertrapp is just too long and ugly to put on the chopper: I'd then have and excuse to put the embarrassingly super LOUD turnout muffler on the Chopper.  Cheesy

But the Supertrapp has got to go on one of the three bikes; because though it is ugly, it is the coolest sounding, not obscene loud, muffler I've heard!

Decisions, decisions... Sometimes I hate having too many options!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 12-1/2" Progressive + SuperTrapp is a no-go!
Reply #1 - 11/11/09 at 14:48:29

Too bad,....
My 12"s are close, but clear,....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/11/09 at 15:19:45

could have an angled section added so it clears.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/11/09 at 15:35:09

Rockin_John wrote on 11/11/09 at 14:34:57:
The problem will be obvious to some folks:

http://catoosatrading.com/images/cycles/progressive_supertrap.jpg

But for those whom the picture doesn't explain it: the shock is too long, and the rear axle bolt will hit on the muffler constantly if I were to force installation of the taller shock!

So... Since we should all know by now that: You can't always have what you want...

It seems I have several options:

1. Cut a few inches out of my header and attempt to gas weld (braze) it back together into a length that will allow the shorter exhaust system to clear the longer shock. (Hot, sooty exhaust may come out on something /somewhere I don't want it).

2. Take the decent sounding short Dyna/Sporty muffler off my chopper and put it on the road bike.  As the Supertrapp is just too long and ugly to put on the chopper: I'd then have and excuse to put the embarrassingly super LOUD turnout muffler on the Chopper.  Cheesy

But the Supertrapp has got to go on one of the three bikes; because though it is ugly, it is the coolest sounding, not obscene loud, muffler I've heard!

Decisions, decisions... Sometimes I hate having too many options!  Roll Eyes

You got your axle bolt coming in from the wrong side, spinning around might help.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/11/09 at 15:41:44

should be enough play in the system to shim out from the support bracket to get a little more clearance.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 12-1/2" Progressive + SuperTrapp is a no-
Reply #5 - 11/11/09 at 15:50:04

bill67 wrote on 11/11/09 at 15:35:09:
  You got your axle bolt coming in from the wrong side, spinning around might help.

Nice catch, Bill....  I never would have noticed that... Wink

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 11/11/09 at 16:16:08

Nah.... there's more than an inch of interference (1-1/2" or more) so turning the axle bolt around (I'd already though of that) or just angling the muffler out isn't going to get it. I'd have to angle the muffler out to the side so far it would look kind of silly.

And my idea of taking a few inches out of the header probably isn't going to happen either; because there's only about 1-1/2" of straight pipe down there to remove, and I need it about 3"-4" I'd have to braze the inner and outer header pipes together before putting the manifold tip back on the header. It could get to be a big-ol-mess!  Cheesy

I'll figure something out... Or have something to sell soon.  Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 11/11/09 at 16:46:56

May have found a solution: cut a couple of inches off of the little end of the SuperTrapp and have the muffler shop swag it back out to fit. Hate to go hacking on an expensive exhaust system, but it ain't gonna last forever anyways. And if it throws it out of tune, I can always add or subtract discs on the back of the megaphone.

I still may put the sick loud pipe on the chopper, just to annoy the soccer moms on cell phones. Pull up beside them; and their conversation is OVER! They should be driving instead of talking anyways!

Guns don't kill people: People driving and talking on cell phones do!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/11/09 at 16:49:10

What kind of a problem would it create to limit the downward travel of the swingarm? Or the extension of the shocks? Sure, you'd lose some of that travel, but youd still have the spring rate/damping of the better shocks. Maybe raise the upper mount an inch & build the seat to accommodate & limit the swing arm or shock extension the rest of it?

Bill, nice spot..

HEY.. Heres the DEAL,, turn that axle around & either put an angle on the end of the header to point the TRapp out, or put a Z bend on the header, to "step it out" far enough to clear..

That would be easier, I think..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 11/11/09 at 17:16:27

Some combinations of the aforementioned ideas will almost certainly work. When I first had the idea of turning the axle around; it was from looking over at my 1987:

Notice the nice thin head on it? I thought about using that axle (put in the way it is in the 87) Then I realized that even if I cleared the axle nut; the muffler and swing-arm were going to probably hit.

Cut the SuperTrapp off a few inches, get the muffler shop to make me a slight step over pipe as short as possible and swag it out for the Savage's header. That will probably do it.

All I wanted was some good shocks an inch taller. How come everything which should be easy always has to gets so blasted complicated?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/11/09 at 17:29:38

Can you make it so the "step" is a shallow angle? Or is it important? How do you decide such things? Dont want to cause a restriction, but only got so much room to play with,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 11/11/09 at 17:42:34

Limiting shock travel will destroy the rebound.... No good...

I was just about to ask how big of a mallet you have?... Grin

How much trimming can you do on the pipe/muffler joint?...

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 11/11/09 at 18:18:10

Serowbot wrote on 11/11/09 at 17:42:34:
Limiting shock travel will destroy the rebound.... No good...

I was just about to ask how big of a mallet you have?... Grin

How much trimming can you do on the pipe/muffler joint?...

Tools? BIG hammer's? I got lots of tools, including hammers. I collect tools, including old farm hand tools. I've got tools people don't even know what they do... I inherited a barn full of them LOL! I have a two man buck-saw hanging in the barn; a scythe big enough to scare the grim reaper.  Cheesy

Seriously... there's about 2" that could be hacked off of the straight part of the SuperTrapp.

For now I just put the "road bike" back together with its stock shocks. I've got too many other projects going right now to keep fighting this. It's going to have to wait till later.

I have to put some sod down in my back yard before it becomes a mud pit again! The shocks can wait till the dead of winter, my garage is heated... kinda.  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 12-1/2" Progressive + SuperTrapp is a no-
Reply #13 - 11/11/09 at 22:46:38

RJ Quote:
Seriously... there's about 2" that could be hacked off of the straight part of the SuperTrapp.

I'm just sayin'... get what you can there,... and whack the SuperTrapp with a rubber mallet to clear the rest...  it would be on the inside where nobody would see...
Grin

That's custom!.... Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/11/09 at 22:59:46

Can't really do that.  That nut is about where the disks are.  Whack it and the core will never come out.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:12:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 12-1/2" Progressive + SuperTrapp is a no-go!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.