Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Putting it to sleep for the Winter (Read 92 times)
sproutjw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Putting it to sleep for the Winter
11/11/09 at 04:59:57

It was cold in Toronto so I put stabalizer in the tank and was sad it was my last ride. then it went to 18 and I put more gas in the tank and rode her for three more days and hoping to ride again tomorrow.   Its NOv 11th Remember the ones who remembered us.  

So My question is does anyone have advice for what to do for Storage.  I have a barn shed which I keep her in but I'm afraid it will be damp in there over the winter. Any suggestions?  Help.  I was told not to wash her before storage and then I read on line to wash and wax.  ?? Help

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Putting it to sleep for the Winter
Reply #1 - 11/11/09 at 06:11:46

Pull the battery and take it inside. Pick up a wooden pallet (they're free everywhere), or a couple of 2x4's with plywood, and drive the bike on top to keep the tires off the ground (assuming you have a dirt floor). I have cement and still use a thick piece of cardboard with some old carpeting. Get a breathable cover. A wash, dry and wax is a good idea, but make sure it's dry. I use a leaf blower. Re-add your stabilizer and you should be good to go.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 11/11/09 at 07:03:15

Putting it to sleep
-----------------------------
Aw man !!....you make it sound so ...final ! :'(

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #3 - 11/11/09 at 07:29:42

I refuse to put mine to sleep. But I guess I don't live near as far north as you do. You might want to get a battery tender...

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/11/09 at 12:42:59

Would it be smart to drain the bowl on the carb?
I keep my dry cells in the refrigerator, the cold keeps the internal chemical reactions lower, making for a longer shelf life. Isnt that true of all batteries? Wouldnt a lead acid also discharge slower in a cold environment? Wouldnt the water tend to not evaporate in a cooler environment?

What about shutting the fuel off & running it till it dies? Would that empty the carb better than just draining the bowl? Thats the way the chainsaw makers recommend "mothballing" them, just run them dry. IDK whats best for the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:26:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Putting it to sleep for the Winter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.