Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fairings anyone? (Read 436 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Fairings anyone?
11/08/09 at 16:51:04

Does anyone know if there are any batwing type fairings that can be added to our savages/s40?  I'm sure they would have to be custom fabricated to attach to our bars but has anyone ever done such mod?

Or is there a windshield that comes close to a batwing style fairing for our style bikes?

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Fairings anyone?
Reply #1 - 11/08/09 at 17:06:41

There was a post the other day that had some. Now if I could just remember the brand.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 11/08/09 at 18:04:52

like this? its called a wixom, got it off of ebay. bought some mounts for a memphis shades widshield. it vibrates quite a bit, so i took it off. i plan to work out the bugs and try again in the spring.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/08/09 at 19:05:19

YES, Rigid!  That looks COOL!  That is what I'm looking for, I guess I will just need to pick up a fairing and then figure out how to mount it on.  Good to see what it would look like, thanks again!

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 11/08/09 at 20:26:32

If there is a cycle recycle yard in your area, they usually have some that can be adapted, I have an old wixom on mine that works well for me. Used some current model w/s upper brackets and made the lower one. Also the slipstreamer new will fit but is of clear or smoked material. I got one on the sidecar tug and plan to pain the bottom 1/2 so it looks more like a fairing. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/08/09 at 20:56:22

I think you could probably add some braces and eliminate the vibration,  I have done some projects using aluminum flat stock and angles.  easy to shape and rivet together.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 11/09/09 at 07:15:22

i have the slipstreamer falcon ss32 20"
plexi/lexan windsheild
like pushin a brick wall, trouble on the highway gettin over 65mph
still playin with the height and tilt to get it better...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 11/09/09 at 08:31:56

NationalCycle has some windshields that are fairing style. They shield from the knees up, the hands and keep the water off of your upper half pretty much, as long as you keep moving down the road. You have to order extra bar clamps 'cause they ship with 3/4" ones. They're plastic (instead of metal) bar clamps so be careful.

I love mine. Run 75-80 mph if needed, fully loaded in the hills. No buffeting from the big trucks either. You can get them with tinted bottoms in different colors.

Oh yeah, they're quick removable too. Love mine.

Jack

IP Logged
mjbgman
YaBB Newbies

Syracuse, NY
Reply #8 - 11/09/09 at 11:34:25

rigidchop wrote on 11/08/09 at 18:04:52:
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp210/rigidchop_photos/058.jpg
like this? its called a wixom, got it off of ebay. bought some mounts for a memphis shades widshield. it vibrates quite a bit, so i took it off. i plan to work out the bugs and try again in the spring.

That's f'n SCHWEET!!

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris Kills People.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 11/09/09 at 19:21:50

i actually want to find a vetter quicksilver fairing. they were made for smaller bikes, around 450cc's. i think with the savages light weight, it would be a perfect fit. the only downside is that it has a square headlight. some of the harleys have a small rounded fairing, i forget offhand what it is called, but it probably would look good too. thanks for the compliments.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/10/09 at 18:27:28

Jack_650 wrote on 11/09/09 at 08:31:56:
NationalCycle has some windshields that are fairing style. They shield from the knees up, the hands and keep the water off of your upper half pretty much, as long as you keep moving down the road. You have to order extra bar clamps 'cause they ship with 3/4" ones. They're plastic (instead of metal) bar clamps so be careful.

I love mine. Run 75-80 mph if needed, fully loaded in the hills. No buffeting from the big trucks either. You can get them with tinted bottoms in different colors.
Oh yeah, they're quick removable too. Love mine.

Jack

Jack, what model shield do you have?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 11/10/09 at 22:58:18

The shield I have is a Plexifair or something like that from NationalCycle. It's a full screen that has "wings" down from each side of the fork that go down to just below knee level and little flairs that stick out in front of most of the hand controls. It's been so long since I've paid any attention to the writing on it I don't remember the details, and since it's put away for the winter and repairs right now . . . . .

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

See it for yourself. It's been very good to me.

Jack

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #12 - 11/11/09 at 05:29:38

That's a Plexifairing 3, jack. Same one I've had for 7 years.

And I see you have a hitch, too. Where's your trailer?

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 11/11/09 at 08:07:13

My trailer is just a little red 4'X4' flatbed that I bought in a box and put together myself. With a piece of plywood on it for a floor it weighs in at under a hundred pounds empty. I have a 7' pine board 2"X10" with bike rails bolted to it for when I use the trailer to haul the bike. You don't even know its back there when it's empty, except for the rattle of it bouncing down the road.

Nice looking trailer you have there. Looks like it might be a bit heavy to haul loaded up some of the hills I get into. My hitch was designed and built by a (really, really) small town welder in western N. Dakota a couple years ago. Where/how did you get yours? Can't tell what it looks like from the pix.

Converted school bus in the background? I just spent last winter converting a shuttle type bus to RV. The fiberglass bodies are really nice to work with.

Jack

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 11/11/09 at 08:11:49

In fact, now that I'm over the dazzle of that chrome box on your trailer, I see that your trailer is probably the same as mine. Only painted black and with a couple little extras like a lift handle on the tongue to save the back from having to bend so much.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fairings anyone?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.