Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Loss of power at hwy speed - need troubleshooting (Read 266 times)
ero4444

weekender

Re: Loss of power at hwy speed - need troubleshoot
Reply #15 - 11/12/09 at 10:05:00

My bike also has stalled a couple of times from steady 65 mph on straightaway - I've not been fast enough with the RES switch yet.  I wasn't out of gas though so it's probably the petcock.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #16 - 11/14/09 at 22:34:33

Added Sea foam Friday, took a 2 hour drive on Saturday, no problems with the stalling, got it up to 75 & 80 in the stretches and held it there.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Dahlia
YaBB Newbies

Learning and having
fun

Houston, Tx
Reply #17 - 11/29/09 at 19:41:19

So I tried the Seafoam suggestion.  Let it sit and restarted.  It idled for a couple of minutes and then sputtered and died.  Same response when I restarted it.  So today, I pulled the carb apart and inspected it.  Clean as a whistle, no apparent problems there.  Put the whole thing back together and it ran again for 2-3 mins before sputtering to a stop even after opening up the throttle to try to prevent it from dying.  

So at this point, I'm stumped and frustrated that I'm not getting to ride.   Angry  I guess its back to the shop for my Suzi.  I'll post the results when I know them in case someone else has similar problems that seafoam doesn't help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 11/29/09 at 19:46:52

Try again in prime.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #19 - 11/29/09 at 20:14:40

Outside of the petcock+ vacumn lines issues (ignoring the carb for a minute)  the other two things that can do this are, (I think) are (1) a leak in the exhaust system or (2)a lousy valve setting job.  The valves have to be done with the engine stone cold.  The exhaust header's two bolts like to loosen up,  and the connection between the header pipe and the muffler ia another obvious places to check.  It sounds like once you hit operating temp, something goes awry.  Best of luck and as always,, please keep us posted.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/29/09 at 20:22:53

Dont let it idle, keep the RPM jacked up, not 70 MPH worth, just 30 ish mph in 3rd or 4th type RPM. Are you sure you didnt add more Seafoam than it needs? It wont run on Seafoam, ya kow..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #21 - 11/29/09 at 21:49:17

Have you messed with the mixture screw I did a small adjustment the other day and it did the same thing on my as your saying. I suggest you shut the screw and start again making your adjustments.

just my .02

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Reply #22 - 11/29/09 at 22:03:10

Just for grins, try it with the fuel cap removed. If the vent is clogged, vacuum builds and will shut off the fuel flow. If it runs OK with the cap off, you've found the problem.

Good luck.

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:17:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loss of power at hwy speed - need troubleshooting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.