Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems on the Straight (Read 178 times)
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Problems on the Straight
11/05/09 at 19:32:43

I have noticed in the last month that when on a straight patch of highway, cruising at 55-65, the bike will start sputtering and cutting out.  Doesn't do it on the curvy roads, even those where the curves are gentle enough to keep the bike at higher speeds.  I switch over to the reserve position for a minute or two and it stops  for a while.

I think it's garbage in the tank but I'm not sure I cannot hear anything but slosh when I lean, could it just be a petcock problem?

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Problems on the Straight
Reply #1 - 11/05/09 at 19:35:44

Runs in res, and most likely Pri since it uses the same port.  You might want to drain the tank and Pull the petcock off to check the screen.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/05/09 at 21:39:02

check your vacuum line,....  when you let of the gas a little on curves, vacuum increases, pulling harder on fuel and keeping the gas flowing.... at steady pace, not enough to overcome air leak in the hose...
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it,.... 'till somebody has a better one... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 11/08/09 at 06:47:12

Serowbot wrote on 11/05/09 at 21:39:02:
check your vacuum line,....  when you let of the gas a little on curves, vacuum increases, pulling harder on fuel and keeping the gas flowing.... at steady pace, not enough to overcome air leak in the hose...
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it,.... 'till somebody has a better one... Huh

+1 on this and it is the easiest and cheapest way to start troubleshoot an issue like this. Getting a foot of 3/16" fuel hose at O'Reilly's for a Dollar often cures that problem. I replace the vacuum hose at least once a year, just because it's cheap and don't have to worry about it. To me it's a wear and tear item like an air filter or oil.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 11/08/09 at 07:09:35

Quote:
I have noticed in the last month that when on a straight patch of highway, cruising at 55-65, the bike will start sputtering and cutting out.
----------------------------------------------------
You didn't say what does it do at over 65 ? or at WOT ?
If its a main line fuel delivery problem, then we have to assume that it won't go any faster than, 65, and at WOT it just bogs (starves) out completely.

But if by per chance it runs good when you cob the throttle, then the problem is NOT lack of main line fuel delivery Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #5 - 11/08/09 at 14:19:25

Thanks for all the advice I will have to check and see if it will go faster.  Will definitely check the vacuum line

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #6 - 11/14/09 at 22:35:19

Added Sea foam Friday, took a 2 hour drive on Saturday, no problems with the stalling, got it up to 75 & 80 in the stretches and held it there.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:30:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems on the Straight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.