Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Transmission Oil Change (Read 350 times)
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Transmission Oil Change
11/04/09 at 09:50:38

Thanks to you guys, I know how to change the engine oil in my Savage.  But I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the transmission oil too.  

I talked to a guy who used to work on motorcycles in Mexico, he said you don't need to do that.  He said that as long as you change the engine oil, you should be fine.  I don't know what to think now.  That's why I decided to come to the experts.  Thanks.

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

Keep me from getting a real job by reading my blog and clicking the ads on it...please

http://thisstrangelongjourney.blogspot.com/
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Transmission Oil Change
Reply #1 - 11/04/09 at 09:54:36

When you change your engine oil you are also changing the transmission oil,Its all together.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/04/09 at 09:54:54

The engine oil, is the transmission oil... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 11/04/09 at 09:55:22

On the Savage, the engine oil IS the transmission oil.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/04/09 at 10:02:12

That why you need to use a good motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 11/04/09 at 10:11:41

And that tells us that transmissions don't need transmission oil,......that 30 wt motor oil works perfectly fine in transmissions too. But those of us that worked in the the transmission/gear box industry already knew that. And thats why the oil threads that are so serious to some, are so humourous to most of us. Huh

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/04/09 at 10:40:41

Modern F-150's use a 5 wt oil in the manual 5 speed trannys. But they still use the heavy stuff in the pumpkin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #7 - 11/04/09 at 14:05:44

2 stroke bikes need to have there transmission oil changed, as the engine oil is in the fuel/or injected

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 11/04/09 at 14:17:04

There are actually quite a few motorcycles with separate engine and transmission lubrication systems. Old British bikes had separate units, and I believe the current Harleys are also separate.

Way back around 1960, if the stories are true, the British Mini was designed with a common oil system for the engine and transmission. The only required change to the transmission was replacing bronze synchronizer parts with steel ones. Few motorcycles have synchronizers in their transmissions.

In the middle '70s, in response to one or another fuel crisis, the Army changed out the heavier oil in truck transmissions to use engine oil. It's been a long time, but I think they changed from SAE 50 in the transmissions to SAE 30. The change was said to have no deleterious effect, and to improve fuel mileage by a small amount.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 11/04/09 at 16:12:54

Back in the 60s, in the summer we had hi speed gear boxes on new harvesting equipment running so hot the 90 wt gear oil was smoking out the vents. The warranty fix was to drain the 80-90 wt, then install 30 wt motor oil. The boxes never smoked again, the fix was made permanent by the gear MFG, and the oil spec sheets were changed to 30 wt.

But yet, most gear boxes still run 80-90 wt oil Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #10 - 11/04/09 at 21:37:51

thank you guys.  I love you all, but in a manly way, of course.

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

Keep me from getting a real job by reading my blog and clicking the ads on it...please

http://thisstrangelongjourney.blogspot.com/
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 11/05/09 at 07:31:38

Charon wrote on 11/04/09 at 14:17:04:
There are actually quite a few motorcycles with separate engine and transmission lubrication systems. Old British bikes had separate units, and I believe the current Harleys are also separate.

Way back around 1960, if the stories are true, the British Mini was designed with a common oil system for the engine and transmission. The only required change to the transmission was replacing bronze synchronizer parts with steel ones. Few motorcycles have synchronizers in their transmissions.

In the middle '70s, in response to one or another fuel crisis, the Army changed out the heavier oil in truck transmissions to use engine oil. It's been a long time, but I think they changed from SAE 50 in the transmissions to SAE 30. The change was said to have no deleterious effect, and to improve fuel mileage by a small amount.

Originally, all motorcraft, be they 2, 3, 4 wheelers, had gearboxes separate from the engine.
So engine oil was separate from gearbox oil.

The story about the Austin Mini is correct.
Whereas the Austin Minor had a 4 cylinder engine mated to a traditional gearbox and rear wheel drive (so engine and g/box would be separate)
the extremely tight space available within the Mini's engine bay was such that the solution was to fit the engine transversely, and design a special gearbox that was integral to the oil pan (sump in English)
Thus, the first truly front wheel drive, transverse engine system was born.
Competitor marques (such as Renault) insisted on a longitudinal engine and a transverse gearbox... definitely a more primitive design.

Motorcycle gearboxes, unlike automobile gearboxes, have sequential gear changing; you must go through all the gears whether going up or down.
Cars & Trucks have the typical "H" layout which allows to shift 5th-3rd, or 4th-2nd... not possible with a sequential system.

Most motorcycles today have a wet clutch, so "engine oil = gearbox oil" is the paradigm.
Ducatis, Guzzis, BMWs, even Harleys have a dry clutch so you will have separate engine and gearbox oils.

I have never considered a 30w oil in a gearbox; both my truck's instruction booklet, and that in my wife's car insist on 80/90 oil.
It is unlikely that I may come across any 30w oil, but a cheap 15/40 could be an interestnig idea...

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 11/05/09 at 08:25:21

Simple solution use what the manufacture says.After all they probability know more than anyone on this forum.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 11/05/09 at 13:56:07

bill67 wrote on 11/05/09 at 08:25:21:
  Simple solution use what the manufacture says.After all they probability know more than anyone on this forum.

That the same manufacturer that made it near impossible to get at the spark plug unless you remove the fuel tank?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/05/09 at 14:15:03

The same manufacturer who designed a cam chain tensioner that can fall apart & cause catastrophic engine failure? :'(

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:29:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Transmission Oil Change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.