Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leaking clutch cover gasket (Read 400 times)
danibugg

PNW
Leaking clutch cover gasket
10/31/09 at 22:03:58

So, I did the cam chain check, put on the modified tensioner with no problems, put the whole bike back together, added some oil and turned the bike on. Instant oil leak (dripping) from the bottom of the clutch cover. The gasket is brand new, both surfaces were clean, and I assume b/c all the bolts went in with no problems that it was straight. Is there some trick to getting the gasket to seal properly?

1998 Suzuki Savage LS 650, black, 11.5k. verslavy, relocated turn signals, saddlebags.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Leaking clutch cover gasket
Reply #1 - 10/31/09 at 22:12:28

where's it leaking?
did you put the sealing washers in the right places?
Oil filter o-ring didn't slip out on you?

WWW   IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #2 - 10/31/09 at 22:14:43

It was leaking around the clutch cover. Drips centered on the centermost bolt, underside of cover.

I don't think oil filter o-ring, b/c there was no oil around the filter cover.

I drew myself a picture with labels for the long bolts and the ones with washers, so I'm sure that they're in the correct positions.

1998 Suzuki Savage LS 650, black, 11.5k. verslavy, relocated turn signals, saddlebags.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/31/09 at 22:31:39

I don't know what to tell you dani.  I've never had a problem when using a gasket.

When you cleaned the gasket surfaces, did you remove the locating pins?
Cleaned it all around with no klingons lerking about?
Didn't scratch the surface anywhere?

WWW   IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #4 - 10/31/09 at 22:39:37

No scratches, I got all the old gasket bits off with my fingernails (advantages to being a girl   Smiley), would never take a screwdriver or anything to a surface like that.

I guess I'll put the whole thing together again tomorrow and see what happens. I was just hoping there was some trick, maybe some sealer I didn't know about that was standard to use, that would fix all my problems.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/01/09 at 06:32:25

Did you get the rubberized washers back in the right places? Is the oil leaking around the bolt or in the crack of the case/cover?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #6 - 11/01/09 at 07:28:04

In the crack, I think.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/01/09 at 07:53:35

Wipe everything down with parts cleaner, then squirt some baby powder around the suspect area. The powder should make it easier to see exactly where the leak is.  

Hope this helps.      

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/01/09 at 14:30:24

you sure you got all the bolts torqued down? It doesnt take a whole lot but if you were being extra cautious they may be a bit looser than they should. I dont know that it would matter but i always put a thin layer of oil on both sides of a new gasket with my finger before installing it. Maybe got a peice of grit on the gaskets before you installed it and didnt notice? How extensive is teh leak? Weeping? dripping? A drop an hour?  drop a minute?

IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #9 - 11/01/09 at 17:57:34

Haha if anything I over-torqued the bolts. I took it all apart, put a bunch of gasket maker around the gasket, and put it back together. No leaks so far, so hopefully that's good. It sounds different though  Undecided maybe I put the muffler back on wrong.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/01/09 at 19:29:35

Gotta be cool w/ that gasket stuff. There are oil passages that have to stay open.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/02/09 at 06:50:41

A compression gasket requires an even application of a known torque value range to work correctly.  Over torque crushes and ruins the gasket and warps the cover.  Undertorque is just less clamping force but it does not damage the gasket nor warp the cover.

Long time ago I bought me a little quarter inch drive "inch pound" torque wrench for compression gasket use.

Default values for me if there are no known torque values for the involved gasket screws/bolts is 80-100 inch pounds with stress being put on a multi-level cross pattern pull up and consistency on final torque.  This I got from oil pans on car engines -- the touchiest compression gaskets in the world for leaking over time.

I think our side cover gaskets DO have a spec at 6.5 - 9.5 foot pounds (given for 6mm crankcase fasteners) which translates to 78 to 114 inch pounds.  Them, I'd shoot for 100 inch pounds on the nose with a good 3 level repeat cross pattern with first level at 50, second at 80 and last round at 100 inch pounds.  This ought to do her jest fine.

Gasket torque wrenches cost $30 to $50 most places as they are somewhat "specialty tools" and are not big volume items by anybody's guesstimation.  Shame that, every bike mechanic really needs one.

==========   Ta Da !!!  ==========   Jedi science comes up with an answer !!

Now, for the cheap bastards budget minded amongst us Harbor Freight has the no-brainer 6 newton/meter (or 72 inch pound) install a gasket tool for your Savage engine for a whopping $3.97 price tag.  Can't get more reasonable than this.  

Yoda approved as it hits right close at the bottom end of the Suzuki/Clymer recommended gasket installation torque values
(less a half a newton/meter off and the other torque wrenches don't even graduate that fine).  
That's six inch pounds shy (alias one LRCH LPH) to you English speakers.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66269

Go for it!  Your red head person will never even miss it!

« Last Edit: 11/03/09 at 04:11:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 11/02/09 at 10:20:41

DaniBugg, is it possible that, the first time you put it all back together, the clutch cable connector on the engine case clutch lever was pointed straight out and kept the cover from torquing down all the way?  This would cause a leak at the bottom, not necessarily in the center though.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #13 - 11/02/09 at 20:40:31

serenity3743 wrote on 11/02/09 at 10:20:41:
DaniBugg, is it possible that, the first time you put it all back together, the clutch cable connector on the engine case clutch lever was pointed straight out and kept the cover from torquing down all the way?  

Anythings possible. Leak stopped when I put it together the 2nd time though, which now gives me time to deal with whatever calamity arises next  Grin

IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #14 - 11/02/09 at 20:42:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/02/09 at 06:50:41:
 Your red head will never even miss it!

What if I'm a brunette??  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:27:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking clutch cover gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.