Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone tried a lightweight battery? (Read 593 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Anyone tried a lightweight battery?
Reply #15 - 11/02/09 at 08:57:04

When you receive - charge it for few hrs first, and jump with cables on first start. Just an advice. Mine is 7Ah, it spins OK.

IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #16 - 11/02/09 at 12:13:42

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 11/02/09 at 13:32:26

fsmidt wrote on 11/02/09 at 12:13:42:
never tried them but i`m very interrested
this one is my favorite
http://www.batteryspace.com/customizelifepo4battery128v10ah128wh50aratewopcb....

That one discharges at only 50 amps and the others in that price range have similar output.. you'd have to spend $330 and wire two of them in parallel to get 100 amps which may start the Savage.  Thanks for the links though, I had not seen those.

Dasch, you bet.  All my batteries get a nice 3 or 4 hour charge at 2A on the Schumacher before they ever see a load.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #18 - 11/02/09 at 13:43:20

hmmm 300 bucks  Sad  OK next Smiley

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 11/06/09 at 21:37:03

I got the battery.  Look how small it is  Cheesy  Says "MADE IN JAPAN" at the bottom, too.

It is thee perfect size to fit on that little shelf.  I thought I'd have to raise the swingarm temporarily. But nope, it just barely slips in there with some finagling. I'll try to make time tomorrow to install it, but have to take care of some things on the domestic front.  Hmm, install diswasher.. play with motorcycle..  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/06/09 at 22:11:24

Yukkk, dishwasher. Installation includes floor, & plenty of it. Getting under the sink & working with those little connections that dont want to line up till you can see them real good, which means you'll need to install your third arm to hold the light while the other 2 hands mess with the connections. You gonna NEED some motorcycle time when youre done with that mess. Really, a dishwasher swap isnt too bad of a deal, except for the getting to the stuff you have to get to. As long as you are still young & flexible enough for the getting up & down.
Pretty cool looking little battery. Pretty cool you already got your rebate on it, too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/07/09 at 01:51:57

Boule' , my battery is pretty similar, but it doesn't fit on the canister bracket  Sad  I had to fabricate a box to fit it under seat.
Anyhow, you should consider some kind of cover, at least something to cover the top with posts, to protect from water and mud. 1 Volt drop on battery post with small battery will leave you flappin' somewhere in the rain  Shocked

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #22 - 11/07/09 at 12:23:56

Dasch, I plan to fabricate brackets to keep the battery on the shelf, but per your advice I should probably also make some sort of cover.  I'll at least get some terminal boots, since the battery will be in a wet and splashy zone.

Justin, yes the diswasher install is going to suck.  I have to take out a drawer, shelf and cabinet door & floor, cut the opening big enough to accomodate the dishwasher, then dig power out of one wall and hot water out of another.  On the bright side, I'm going to try my hand at soldering joints (you know, with the flux and propane torch).  I haven't started yet though, since I'm still on babysitting duty and my daughter's being a high-maintenance little mess maker.. who absconded with the install guide  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 11/07/09 at 23:07:37

Its not going next to the sink? If it is, theres the Hot H2O. My cabinet section was the same width as the D/W. Made it pretty sweet.
I hope yours is quiet. Ours was a danged maintenance nightmare. Someday, I hope to have another one. Been here 4 years w/o one. Not enough room to add one, till I remodel the kitchen.
I had to hack a section out of the upper edge of the cabinet that held the drawers to get it in. Nows the time to get tools. Every new challenge requires different tools. OR, you could always cough up the $$$ for someone else to install it...Naaah, you can buy tools & still save $$$..
Good luck. Be careful with the lektricity.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 11/07/09 at 23:48:18

Thanks, I'll be sure to be careful when I finally get a chance to do it. Sure, the washer is going near a sink, but my house is from the stone age. The pipes come straight out of the wall to the fixture. No handy flex-hose or shutoff valves under the sink or other 70's technology for me, oh no!  I hope the washer is quiet, because choices are limited when you can't fit a full 24" model anywhere.  We do at least HAVE hot water.. boy, I can hardly stand the luxury.  Roll Eyes

I've butted up against so many challenges already, where I thought the tool to fix the thing would be cheaper than hiring someone to fix it... I now have every tool known to mankind.   Cheesy

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #25 - 11/10/09 at 06:27:22

How about this one ?

1150 Amps cold crank, 75 Amps continuous, and it's ONLY 60 lbs !!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sorry, folks, just couldn't resist...  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #26 - 11/10/09 at 09:51:09

if you're thinking about moving within the next 5 years, you should check the local code; the fact the local stores sell  plastic, for example,  doesn't mean it'll pass the code.  here in NE ,back in the day,  we had to copper tube them in place, what a pain.  Now it'so much easier.

If you haven't soldered before, practice a bit.  Try to plan the conncetions so you can do most of the soldering "standing up., not lying down.  (I have hadsome siged hair) Wink Have fun.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #27 - 11/10/09 at 09:52:58

mpescatori wrote on 11/10/09 at 06:27:22:
1150 Amps cold crank, 75 Amps continuous, and it's ONLY 60 lbs !!!

Awesome!!  Screw the oil companies, I'm going to get that battery and just ride around on the starter motor!  

Hmm.. 60 lbs.. I will have to get mikestrikes to send me a trike conversion rig.  Hope he takes Payal  Cheesy

Edit: Trippah, I think the install will be up to code. The only  plastic will be the drain line, under fairly low pressure from the DW pump.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 11/10/09 at 10:19:07

In Wisconsin you can use plastic for hot and cold water,In Illinois just for cold.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 11/10/09 at 15:58:55

bill67 wrote on 11/10/09 at 10:19:07:
 In Wisconsin you can use plastic for hot and cold water,In Illinois just for cold.

Doooo Whut? Why?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:23:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone tried a lightweight battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.