Everstart battery (Read 447 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Everstart battery
10/30/09 at 20:45:50

OK, I know Big Crank is great, but eventually every battery dies. Looking at the Everstarts at my local WallyWorld, I see that the Savage isn't listed. Do any of you have experience with Everstart in a Savage? I'm not looking to use it as a everyday battery, but it would be nice to know that in the event of a battery failure, I can just run up to my local 24 hour WalMart, slap an Everstart in it, and get back on the road. Thanks.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
superdave
YaBB Newbies

I love my boulevard!

Missouri
Re: Everstart battery
Reply #1 - 10/31/09 at 00:25:00

I have looked for a battery for my S40 in many stores that carry batteries.  I have not found it in stock even once.  Of course, you can have it ordered, but that won't help on the day that it dies on you.  When my '06 hits the 7500 mile checkup point (probably next year), I am thinking of having the local dealer replace the factory battery with a new one while it is in the shop getting its oil and filter changed.  Getting four years out of a motorcycle battery is about all you can expect anyway, right?  My son's sport bike battery wouldn't even last that long.  What do you all think?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 10/31/09 at 02:00:57

I would buy the stock battery

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 10/31/09 at 05:47:25

Everstart starting batteries are made by any one of the 3 major batt MFGs, Johnson controls, Us Battery, and Excide.
I have 2 everstarts, one as a starting battery in my RV, the other in my pickup. One is 4 yrs old, both are giving good normal service. I would be surprised if they didn't have one that would fit the s-40.

My comment on the longivity of MC batteries is the same as car batteries, ....if they are kept watered, fully charged, preferably on a float charger thru the winter, they have been known to last much longer than 4 yrs.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 10/31/09 at 06:46:39

the battery i replaced with a big crank was an everstart. as long as the measurements are the same, it shouldnt be a problem. i think the vent was on the wrong side though.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/31/09 at 17:56:48

I just replaced my Odyssey that lasted 7-8 years, and would likely have made it a couple more if my battery had not gone unreplaced for almost 2 years, with a AGM GEL Battery YTX20L-BS (270 CCA).  Got it on ebay for $53 incl shp.  It is for the big HD's.  The one listed for the Savage had 170 CCA.

IP Logged
greyhead51

i love u charlotte

munford,tn
Reply #6 - 10/31/09 at 18:28:11

i put a yuasa on my son's savage. (costly but worth it)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/01/09 at 03:34:41

Jay, yes you can put in an "instant" Walmart replacement -- just be prepared to do some work the first time you do it.

Walmart batteries will send your vent tube off in odd directions and will sometimes put your battery terminals on the "wrong" side -- neither are fatal with a little thought.  

Take all the routing slack out of your battery leads heading to the battery box and you may find you have enough slack to get to the connections on the Walmart battery.  If not, take out some cable and a soldering iron and give yourself the necessary leg room -- to use a generic battery you have to be able to put the connections wherever the generic battery happens to have them.  

Once you have the cable length, you are always prepped for a drop in battery.

The vent tube is easy -- they give you a long clear tube with the battery, so go over the top of the battery to the proper side to run the tube down the battery box.  As long as the tube isn't pinched it can still do its job.

The Savage battery terminal configuration is an odd one that is NOT stocked by many places any more.  Walmart stocks its popular brother, the one with  the + & - in the wrong places.  Mod your Savage a bit and be able to pick up a popular generic battery from anywhere at any time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/01/09 at 03:47:11

Thanks,
good to know what to expect when the time comes.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/01/09 at 05:30:34

Everstart wont quite fit in that battery box, and cables wont reach.
I am re fabbing that battery box so it will work.
But Otherwise its fine for capacity if you get an ES14BS.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 11/01/09 at 05:32:41

I was referring to the sealed version, sorry.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/01/09 at 07:08:57

We were talking the cheaper wet acid type when we are talking cheap replacement battery.

If you want to mod your box to use the bigger ventless battery, that's fine -- but the cost goes up towards the Big Crank price range.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/01/09 at 15:23:38

The sealed 14-AHLBS fits without mods to battery box. The battery costs 50 bucks on fleabay for a decent make - dont recall what make, but its there in my savage right now.

However the savage battery box can be modded to take the 14-BS battery which I can scavenge off reject piles @ my local friendly bike dealer ... and modding the box cost me 10 bucks (I fabbed a whole new one, you just have to make an Z shaped plate with boltholes to fit the original battery box. Or just zip tie it in and leave the tool box out ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 11/01/09 at 20:30:31

I got a Everstart  since Aug 09 --- been good so far

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 11/02/09 at 08:31:57

Battery died on my husband's C90 Friday.  We went looking for a local replacement.  A month or so ago, I replaced the one in my S40 with a Big Crank that I ordered online.  When it came in, the box was something like "Magna Extreme".  Size ETX15L.  When we went looking for his, Advance Auto has several on the shelf now. I'm pretty sure I saw an ETX15L, in the same box as what came when I ordered online from Big Crank!  At the time, I couldn't remember the number from mine, but I'm pretty sure it was the same battery.  None of the other places we checked (including WallyWorld, Sears, K-Mart, AutoZone, Napa, etc) had a match.  (I ended up ordering one for the C90 from Big Crank online also)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:28:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Everstart battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.