Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Stalling
Reply #30 - 12/17/09 at 19:57:28

Bubba wrote on 10/27/09 at 08:12:15:
Today I rode into work (30 degrees) When I started her up and tried to let the engine warm up it kept dying (choke out for 30 seconds or so). I upped the idle to keep her going because it just seemed to want to keep dying on me. When I'd fire it up again it would cough out blue smoke for just a second.

Headed to work and after she warmed up (10 minutes maybe?) the bike would stall at almost every light/stop I came to. I finally would just come to a stop and keep the revs up to keep it from stalling out.
I did notice that it smelled a bit like gas.
Too rich? humid day for around here (40%) and cold on top of that...

I similar thing started happening to me (and only in cold weather, too) a few years back:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1152108113/7#7

Bottom line: a faulty petcock was causing a rich condition.  Yours sounds like a rich condition.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #31 - 12/18/09 at 06:47:55

Thanks Digger, Funny...since I put on the new exhaust and fiddled with the air mix the thing has been running fine. Even in the super cold temps we had a couple weeks ago!
I have the stock air filter and jets and a half spacer. I'm going to go to the Harley dealer near me and see if they have a take off Dyna. The pipe I'm using now is still giving be some BIG pops (more shotgun like then rifle like) between first and second shifts.
It's almost a straight pipe but has some kind of resonator/baffles in it that give me a little bit of backpressure. I do kinda like the sound but my wife thinks it sounds like a huey now...
P.S. if I don't like the sound of the dyna I'm going to jet up and see what I get...I noticed you're right down the road from me...if I run into any troubles I may pick your brain in the future...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 12/18/09 at 10:12:34

You can pick his brain here. You just want to see if his garage is really that spotless,. Dont call him first, just show up & see if you can catch him with a teaspoon of dirt in the floor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.