Send Topic Print
Stalling (Read 484 times)
jonnychop
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Stalling
Reply #15 - 11/04/09 at 11:50:22

Are you warming up with the gas valve on PRI or on ? try PRI because your petcock diafragm may be leaking air.

JC.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 11/05/09 at 14:40:29

Sorry JC, was that for me???
Anyway, ran it last night...28 degrees. Same thing happened twice (died rolling up to stop)...rode for about 20 minutes and it seemed to warm up enough that it quit doing it. Rode in this morning...40 degrees maybe?? Let it warm up for 15 minutes before heading out...no stalling...I'm confused since in another thread everyone's talking about cold weather riding gear (like 18 degrees cold)...what gives???
I'm wondering if it IS the petcock...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 11/06/09 at 04:06:01

Std problem.  If you pull the choke knob out it's too rich.  

Basically you have two choices to fix it:

1) Raise idle speed up a little for the first mile ot two.  This works best if you have a Tach so you adjust the RPM's back to where they belong.

2) Make a shim to stick in between the idle screw and the little tab that it bumps up against to rasie the idle until you pull the shim out.  I did this and it worked great.  I took a little piece of magnetic material (flat stuff they put on those free hand out ad's & business cards).  I put a piece of thread on it then hung it on the fuel hose.  After the first mile you will notice the idle up and you just reach down, pull on the string and it comes off and then the string will let it dangle there for next use.  

I will note that the fixer '86 Sportster I got in July has a Mikuni carb that has a staged choke.  First knotch out only raises idle speed (very handy in cold weather).  And, it has it's own adj screw.  Next few knotches are std choke operation.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 11/06/09 at 08:37:12

I took a little piece of magnetic material (flat stuff they put on those free hand out ad's & business cards).  I put a piece of thread on it then hung it on the fuel hose.  After the first mile you will notice the idle up and you just reach down, pull on the string and it comes off and then the string will let it dangle there for next use.  

Clever..I Like clever.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 11/06/09 at 10:31:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/06/09 at 08:37:12:
I took a little piece of magnetic material (flat stuff they put on those free hand out ad's & business cards).  I put a piece of thread on it then hung it on the fuel hose.  After the first mile you will notice the idle up and you just reach down, pull on the string and it comes off and then the string will let it dangle there for next use.  

Clever..I Like clever.

Justin - you need to use your Quote button.  I was reading your post thinking 'I just read that', but it looks like you wrote it yourself.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 11/06/09 at 10:55:38

Ooops, sorry Piglet..I do cut & paste snippets a lot. I just kinda figured people would say "Hey, I just read that. I bet thats a quote & hes gonna have something to say about that one little piece of the previous posters comments"
PLace that stuff between the quotation marks in a Thot Balloon over a drawing of yourself, thats what I was hoping for.. Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 11/06/09 at 11:14:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/06/09 at 10:55:38:
Ooops, sorry Piglet..I do cut & paste snippets a lot. I just kinda figured people would say "Hey, I just read that. I bet thats a quote & hes gonna have something to say about that one little piece of the previous posters comments"
PLace that stuff between the quotation marks in a Thot Balloon over a drawing of yourself, thats what I was hoping for.. Smiley

But the Quote button also reminds readers "who" said it, and I don't have to scroll back up to see who you are responding to.  You can also delete the information that you don't want to reply about, if you are only commenting on a small piece.

No biggie, though, I'm just picky that way...   Wink  Or lazy...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 11/06/09 at 12:04:33

You tell'im Piglet!...   Straighten his butt out!...
Shape up, n' fly right!....
I been wantin' tear into JOG for a while now,... just couldn't think of a good reason why...

Whew!... I feel better now... Huh

Grin Grin Grin    Kidding bro!...

Justin,... There's a quote button on the post reply page, top row of icons, (looks like a piece of paper with an arrow pointing out from it)....  Cool huh?!!!...
I only just figured it out a couple of weeks ago, after three years here...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #23 - 11/06/09 at 14:40:05

It was about that today on the way to work, bbbrrrr.  Had to keep my legs close to the engine to keep them warm.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery
Reply #24 - 11/06/09 at 15:12:47

Hey
About 4 weeks ago I had similar problems to the OP - it has started to get really cold here as well, but not too cold........single digits in celcius - anyway - I bought a battery charger <2-4-6 amp>...... 3 weeks ago I took the battery out and charged it for 12+ hours - at 2 amps, once charged the system went into float mode -
long story short the bike runs perfectly now -
I think the colder weather might be wreaking havoc on your bikes little charging system........if you dont alreay have a charger go grab one - you will most likely need it in 2010.
cheers

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 11/06/09 at 17:25:13

Serowbot wrote on 11/06/09 at 12:04:33:
You tell'im Piglet!...   Straighten his butt out!...
Shape up, n' fly right!....
I been wantin' tear into JOG for a while now,... just couldn't think of a good reason why...

Whew!... I feel better now... Huh

Grin Grin Grin    Kidding bro!...

I know where the button is, Im just a lazy SOB & I just Cut & Paste the little part I want to reply to,..
As fer feelin the need to tear in,, man, dont wait on a reason, just jump on. If I can help you work off some aggressions, get your tensions worked out, hey, If what you say hurts me too bad, Ill just shut one eye & limit my exposure & know I helped you live a little longer.. Its all good.
Justin,... There's a quote button on the post reply page, top row of icons, (looks like a piece of paper with an arrow pointing out from it)....  Cool huh?!!!...
I only just figured it out a couple of weeks ago, after three years here...

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #26 - 11/09/09 at 07:54:09

Hey Nicholas, I need to get a battery tender anyway so I'll take your suggestion and go get one. The "Battery Tender Junior" is the one I'm lookin' at. 28 bucks with coupon and tax...I think it will be money well spent...
Thanks
BTW, it was 80 degrees this past week...from 22" of snow to 80 degrees in 3 days....ya gotta love Colorado....

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 11/09/09 at 08:05:31

Nicholas got a battery charger not a battery tender.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #28 - 11/09/09 at 08:14:43

Thanks Bill, I know he used a charger but the one I'm looking at will do what needs to be done...Hopefully, the tender I'm looking at will be better for my use. I don't think my battery is that far gone...just needs some TLC

IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 11/09/09 at 11:38:15

Did you try charging - did it solve anything ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:25:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.