Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dyno of my savageLS650 + air intake question (Read 283 times)
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dyno of my savageLS650 + air intake question
10/26/09 at 21:52:09

The local shop was running the dyno machine for $20 a pop plus free hot dogs. You can't beat free hot dogs. My bike (previously clueless') had the following results. Although the guy running the machine said I could get better air flow (and more power) if I moved the carb air intake back where the old intake box was (not using the old box) or even stuck it out the side. Do y'all know of any intakes that fit the savage that meet either of those criteria.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Dyno of my savageLS650 + air intake question
Reply #1 - 10/26/09 at 21:58:26

im concerned with the results. 76 ft/lbs at less than 2k rpm? I dont really know how to read a dyno chart but the bottom is saying 44.4hp total? 123mph run at the top? None of those numbers seem quite right. Id be more concerned with your $20 than the results.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #2 - 10/26/09 at 22:00:17

Without looking too close, that chart and numbers look pretty odd.  Perhaps something to do with it thinking you redlined at ~2750 rpm?

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/26/09 at 22:16:19

The CDI sparks every rev, 2x rpm's and at least the rpm's are right.

either use the connecting tube from the carb to the air box (w/o air box)
or but a rubber hose.  
check out the local hardware store for pvc pipe too.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/26/09 at 22:36:14

so we're halving all the numbers then?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/26/09 at 22:38:18

no, rpmx2
torque maybe /2
hp is about right (but a little low)

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 10/27/09 at 06:12:09

I think Versy is right - double the rpm and half the torque. But I would wonder about the skills of the guy running the dyno. I presume the "lambda" refers to the air/fuel ratio, but I wonder where it was measured. If that's the case, a ratio of 10.04:1 is mighty rich. I note that the ratio stays very constant throughout the rpm range, which would make me think the airflow isn't restricted but that the main jet is too large.

Last summer I happened to visit a multi-brand dealership (Star City Motorsports in Lincoln, NE) during their annual customer relations event. They were running a dyno outdoors, with a free run for anyone who purchased $35 in merchandise in the store. I watched some of the runs. They made no connection to the electrics on the motorcycles, but instead hung some sort of sensor down near the engine. I do not know what the sensor was, but at the time I thought it to be a microphone listening to the engine to determine RPM. I do not know whether this is standard procedure, or if they did it to speed up the process under the circumstances. They also made no measurements of A/F ratio that I could see, although I expect such a measurement would be made using a tailpipe sniffer. Which makes me wonder how a catalytic converter would affect such a measurement.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 10/27/09 at 09:47:51

No way this is right.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/27/09 at 10:26:40

ralfyguy wrote on 10/27/09 at 09:47:51:
No way this is right.

No, no, pretty sure he's on the right coast.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #9 - 10/27/09 at 12:34:26

I don't think it's as simple as the RPM being off by a factor of 2.  If that were the case then his engine hit peak HP at about 4000 rpm.  All the other charts I've seen on here say it should be in the 5000-5500 range.

Also, ditto on on the lambda remarks.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/27/09 at 14:21:39

He said it was weird that it wouldn't go over 3500 rpm's. Also there was no no tailpipe sniffer. I think I probably paid $20 bucks for those "free" hot dogs. Whatever. I'm still pretty happy cause I got some LED blinkers and a Drag bar that should be here by Friday and I can't wait to install them.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/27/09 at 14:29:51

diamond jim wrote on 06/08/09 at 15:32:46:
Charon wrote on 06/03/09 at 06:19:07:
I rather wonder why the "stock" curve cuts off sooner than the "Supertrapp" curve. Looks to me like the "stock" curve may have still been climbing. The very sharp drop at the top looks to me like a throttle chop, although it could have been a rev limiter. If it's the rev limiter, why is it different between the curves?

Don't think it was a rev limiter.  My guess is that the stock exhaust reached it's max flow, the operator felt the effects, saw that the bike reached it's limit and let off the throttle.  I've hit that limit before when experimenting with different baffles and to a lesser extent different intakes.  BTW, now I know for sure what 6K+ rpms on this motor sounds like.  I can say with certainty that I've never hit 6500 rpms with my motor.  Truly sounds like she's gonna blow up!

Here's mine:
(see below)

Max HP: 33.19
Max Torque: 36.40 ft lbs
Temp: 87 F

Setup:
55 pilot (no bleed holes)
1 washer
155 main

A stock bike seems to dyno about 28-29HP. The LS650 with Sportster muffler and 1/2 spacer ran 29.8 HP.   The Supertrapp guy said peak 28 with stock muffler then his Supertrapp tested similar to my bike HP wise with 32-33 (no torque curve or numbers though) with air temperature of 22 degrees cooler than my run today.  Don't know if that makes a bit of difference though.

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/ls650exh.html

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 10/28/09 at 00:33:12

Torque is a measurement of the twisting effort on the crankshaft. So torque increases as the throttle is opened and more air and fuel are allowed in the combustion chamber. At a given point the restriction of the air intake, exhaust, and  camshaft grind start to restrict the the efficiency of the air pump, but as the number of power pulses per time go up HP is increased as it is based on that. An inductive tach lead only needs to be close enough to read the EMF around the plug wire to work. I have one that works off an antenna that way. Missing is the A/F ratio probe in the exhaust and it does affect this numbers and that what dyno tuning is all about. Get all the exhaust numbers right and you'll see the torque/HP numbers even higher yet. That takes multiple runs and lots of jets/needle shapes to play with. We even used to have different cutaway on the slide to fine tune them. Lancers smoothing of that slide showed some + results as I remember.  Graphs look OK to me. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #13 - 10/30/09 at 01:10:24

Thinkin' that 'Torque is torque' as measured on the roller so it is right but yeah the revs are 2x shown.

verslagen1 wrote on 10/26/09 at 22:38:18:
no, rpmx2
torque maybe /2
hp is about right (but a little low)

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:15:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyno of my savageLS650 + air intake question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.