Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Float charger leads
Reply #15 - 10/27/09 at 12:58:57

rl153,
It seems like after all this, you would realize that you will have to use common sense on what you do, or the way you do it,.....or else do it like the instructions say to do it. You can't do both when buying from these china companys. And it you are going to loose sleep over a float charger staying plugged in,.....which is what they are designed to do, by all means do what they say.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/28/09 at 07:43:08

You really should check your PMs once in a while, Routy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 10/30/09 at 20:18:00

After a little investigative playing around, I found out this much about the little cheap HF float chargers. I have been using one for several years, and it has worked flawlessly on batteries that are in good condition, keeping their voltage at 13.2.
In this....... or was it another thread, we got to discussing the standing voltage of a good condition liquid lead acid battery being 12.6-7.
After finding my Bullie battery standing at 12.38,......meaning that it is not what it used to be, but still starting the bike ok, I connected a same brand new HF cheap float charger to it, and after monitoring it for a few days, I found the charger maxing out at 12.82, which is hardly a hi enough voltage to keep a battery fully charged. I first suspected a defective charger, but today I connecter same charger to a known good battery w/ a standing voltage of 12.6, and it soon maxed out at 13.22 volts just as it should. To know for sure, I then connected a more expensive Shumacher 2 stage float charger to the s-40 Bullie battery, and it turned yellow while charging 14.6 volts for about 40 minutes, then turned green (float mode) at 13.32 volts.

Moral of the story, the little HF charger is a fine charger, as I and many others are using them to maintain batteries for very long periods of time. But if a battery is not in good condition (not holding 12.6 volts, the HF charger will not hold the 13.2 volts for which it is rated, and therefore will not fully charge the battery.

Besides 2 HF cheap float chargers, I have 2 of the Shumacher 2 stage float chargers, and also a 2 stage "Battery Tender" float charger also. The Shumacher and the Battery Tender are more expensive chargers, and are probably better regulated, because unlike the HF charger, they both hold float voltage of 13.2-4 no matter the condition of the battery. All comes back to you get what you pay for sometimes Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:13:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float charger leads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.